Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

hole in the toes of my running shoes!
Quote | Reply
Ok so now I am spamming the forum with all my problems..sorry.
I always get holes in the uppeer part of my shoes just above the big toe. Are my shoes the wrong size? I am v cumfy running long distances (well long by my standards anyway - half and marathon distances) or do I have a running problem that I can address?
Help would be appreciated.
Johan

http://longwaytogo-ironman.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: hole in the toes of my running shoes! [johanandbex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go...to...your...local...running...store...and...show...them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cut your toenails :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stay off your knees...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As stated I think toenails is the answer.
The first few years I ran this happened to every pair of my shoes
if I kept my nails short or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what shoe brand/model?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your big toenail does this. I have it happen all the time, especially it they are my "racing" shoes which I wear barefoot. Saucony seems to have real weak fabric up there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Think of it as a blessing in disguise. With thick socks on, you now have improvised Vibrams.

After all, compression socks were invented after a cross-dressing triathlete had a fortunate accident when putting on his sister's stockings.

------
David Roche
"The Happy Runner" book: https://www.amazon.com/...Longer/dp/1492567647
Coaching: https://swaprunning.com/
Quote Reply
Re: hole in the toes of my running shoes! [DaveRoche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After all, compression socks were invented after a cross-dressing triathlete had a fortunate accident when putting on his sister's stockings.[/reply]
**************************************PRICELESS**************************************************

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see this a lot in the store. Usually with women who get pedicures. Something to do with the angle that the toenails are cut and filed. At least three or four times a week some one will come in with the big toe area of the upper worn through.

Check your toenails, then check your other shoes to see if there is any unusual wear, my guess is that there is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duct tape!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x2 on the duct tape. seriously. a little strip on the inside upper toe box. works like a charm.
Quote Reply
Re: hole in the toes of my running shoes! [julieb2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it happens in every shoe you buy, don't worry about it. Some people naturally raise their toes when they run. Not much you can do about it and it doesn't affect the shoe integrity either.

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Re: hole in the toes of my running shoes! [fartleker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the replies. Do they make carbon nail cutters??

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Johan,
I've dealt with this for the past 2-3 years in Asics shoes as it seems they have made the "sock liner" of more fragile material and I've always been a sockless runner. Other shoes may have similar problems. I've tried duct tape, superglue, thread, paper tape ... none really work well and shoe life is certainly much reduced. My solution has been nylon suture material (obviously with needle attached). 2-0 nylon suture sews things together well, is very durable and doesn't scratch your toes either .. nor does it really change the shoe forefoot fit ... probably because asics forefoots are like boats anyway. I've gotten normal wear out of my shoes with such patching and it looks fine so you don't look like a bum with duct tape on your shoes. Nike shoes don't give me such problems apparently because the fabric is more durable.
Dave
Quote Reply
Re: hole in the toes of my running shoes! [dcsxtri10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. Ill try that on my shoes (yep they are ASICS). I am quite tempted to try a new brand anyway when I next need some shoes just to see if I can end the problem. My shoes I am using now had a hole in them after just 1 24k run and no my toes nails are not the issue, the odd thing is that my socks dont even have a hole in them!
Thanks
Johan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're correct ... your toenail has little to do with it.
I stitch from good upper webbing through good sockliner and then pull the 2 sides tightly together ... sometimes I'll put a stitch through the front leather if needed to draw it together. A good surgeons knot and a close clip of the ends and you're good. It works well ... I've had to add some additional stitches later where non-stitched material wore through again... but you'll get full wear out of your shoes. I've always been a gel-Landreth wearer but this premature wear has switched me to Nike LunarGlide recently which doesn't seem to have the same problem. I find it annoying to have to stitch up expensive shoes after short lifespans as you're obviously experiencing as well.
Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run marathons / IM in the rain in shoes which are a little too loosely laced..
The shunting of your foot in the shoe will have the nail off in no time..
Problem solved...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My ASICS always do this too, after about 200-250 miles. I race in Nike and hey don't show any sign of it happening but I don't wear them as much since I only race in them. I am glad I am not the only one this happens too!
Quote Reply