Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Retro TT stuff [jager66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've still got my Thompson Transitions sitting in my box of old stuff I can't get rid off but haven't figured out how to use again.
Saw a guy using the Thompsons 2 years ago at a local sprint. Also have a profile aero II bar, scott clip-ons and various parts of grip shifters in the same box.
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [Shakeandbake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@shakeandbake - cool spycam pics ...whats up with the fred flinstone brake in pic 2 ? the idea was to push down a folded aluminium card directly down on the tire ? kind of reverses everyhing.. making the wheel a giant brake pad ... wonder if it chews tires

@jeremyb - that obree looks like a relation of the Javelin posted recently
- that Boardman hillclimb bike reminded me of Mike Pigg's sawn off drop setup without the clip-ons

@obione - did you try selling your thompsons to a duathlete ?

Last edited by: lacticturkey: Feb 18, 10 13:54
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [obi-one] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have plans to make my own Du pedals----its in the DIY queue.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Last edited by: Hid: Feb 19, 10 9:20
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [Hid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or how about a tied trial bike?

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zunow

Last edited by: lacticturkey: Feb 19, 10 12:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The last one scares me. If Pinhead from Hell-Raiser rode a bike, it would be that one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a variation on that 3 triangle version ...

Last edited by: lacticturkey: Feb 20, 10 9:58
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the Zunow Z1 and the Hummingbird (as ridden by the Puntous twins in the mid 80s)..seriously sweet bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the wheels look tiny ... are they 24" ? rick wells rode zunow for a bit too
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Feb 20, 10 10:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is my Pinarello Prologo TT setup as single speed. It has the candle smoke finish...

Checkout http://www.iotexpert.com
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was an experiment from a few years back - tried to put something together entirely from ebay and "junk bin" parts for under $1k (and succeeded).

I also tried to be as gimmicky as possible (Rotorcranks, BP Stealth knock-off the color of week-old urine, etc).

I actually had little to no idea what I was doing with fit/equipment (see helmet) and I never set the world on fire with it or anything but it made me go faster than I think I should've been going and it got me in the money on a couple of occasions.

All my teammates over 6 feet tall used it, too. I was constantly loaning it out. The prologue at the Millionaires Row stage race one year was a total Chinese fire drill - three of us used it for the same event - one of us would finish and fall over then the others would grab the bike and swap pedals and roll right back out with the same sweaty, stinky TT helmet. To my consternation, one of them beat my time on it that day, too (having never ridden it before hopping on to roll to the start).

I think this bike actually had some kind of soul to it. I was under the mistaken impression a couple of years ago that USAC was going to start enforcing UCI rules for all TT's (that's what the original announcement said) and I sold it on eBay. I made a couple of attempts to put together another sub-$1k TT bike to replace it but it just never had the same mojo that this one did.

Now that TTs are basically a big arms race, I think there should be a special sub-$1k category where you have to provide receipts.

Last edited by: dan_hoover: Feb 20, 10 13:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Or how about a tied trial bike?

I bet tweakers would love to get their hands on that one... along with the hipsters and F.A.M.S.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That second pic is of one of Rudi Kurths prototype hydraulic brake systems he has on one of the Cheetahs. I just returned from a visit to Switzerland. Rudi is redesigning a new Cheetah for the new Di2 system for me. His designs and thinking are way ahead of our time. He is a super down to earth guy. Great family too.

"injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" MLK
Last edited by: Shakeandbake: Feb 20, 10 20:29
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [dan_hoover] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nicely done , especially at that price ... was that 1k without wheels ?

Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [Shakeandbake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah - nothing normal about a cheetah ... already the innovative thinking behind them is impressive

scott tinley
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Feb 21, 10 7:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the raul alcala thread made me remember his 7-11/PDM/Motorola days. i LOVE those old school blue SIDI hawaii shoes!

concorde TT bike, LOOK carbo pro pedals, mavic radial laced open4 CD 650c front wheel, scott clip-on bars, mavic gruppo with down tube shifters, mavic comete disc wheel, white turbo saddle...this thread brings back so many memories.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Michael in Fresno
"Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man" V. Corleone
Last edited by: Tribato: Feb 21, 10 18:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Gotta get the fit dialed in. Working on that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: lacticturkey: Feb 24, 10 8:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome Look.

Modolo Kronos---only $750!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
another P3 copy ;)

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shouldn't that be more like 1998?? (rather than 1988)

I remember those bikes, very nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [vikingstumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oops, you are right... i misread the page ... the blue one is from 1992 and the others from late 90s

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eddy Merckx "Aero-Form"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you believe this guy's story, this is pretty cool.

we have a bike shop and ordered this bike from ten speed drive imports (the sole importer of lemonds at that time ) long before the trek's relationship with lemond .we ordered it to be as close to the bike that greg won the tour on that year.(INCLUDING PAINT) he rode for TEAM Z that year . it was ordered the day after his TOUR DE FRANCE victory . it has not been ridden ,but has been hanging in the shop ever since . we did sell the original crank ,and rear derailler off of the bike . so we replaced them with a chorus 10 speed rear der. and( i think) a chorus crank . the crank does have some scrathces where the chain overshifted . at the time we replaced these components , all the record stuff was carbon ,and we felt wouldnt look right . so that is why we went with chorus .

Quote Reply

Prev Next