Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Plantar fasciitis Flare-up - the latest advice?
Quote | Reply
I have a pretty bad PF flare-up. I've had this several times over the years, but this seems to be my worst bout. My traditional remedies don't seem to be helpful. I am open to the latest trick and tips!

Thanks,
david

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Feb 7, 10 16:20
Quote Reply
Re: the latest advice? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PF flare up????
Quote Reply
Re: the latest advice? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Penis Fungus
Painful Foot
Pheromone Farts
Protruding Fibula
Plantar Fasciitis
Pimple Face

to name a few

http://noel-ironman.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: the latest advice? [no good] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plantar fasciitis - I don't think I have those other problems...yet.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar fasciitis Flare-up - the latest advice? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What finally did it for me was plenty of stretching, rolling a golf ball to stretch the plantar and a long break from running.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (1937-2005)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume you have/use a night splint? I just got this one and it works really well. Use it every night, symptoms or no symptoms.

http://alphamedical.amazonwebstore.com/...oot/M/B001PB1JO4.htm

Also, I use a Trigger Point ball on the bottom of my foot quite a bit.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I had it bad and tried everything....night splint, ultrasound, cortisone shots, etc without any improvement. I finally was able to *manage* it with ASTYM therapy. One of the benefits of ASTYM is that you can continue to run during the treatment. Try to see if there are any PT's in your area who are trained in the protocol. I've heard GRASTON via a Chiro is very similar but i don't have any personal experience there.

Also- keeping my arch fully supported (I never went barefoot) at all times while i was having issues seemed to help. I stepped out of bed right into a pair of birkenstocks to avoid that dreaded PF wake-up first step!

good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar fasciitis Flare-up - the latest advice? [Soulmining] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To you and OP: try accupuncture. Really. It took care of me in one treatment.

Tweet WattsUpKarin Blargh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, a night splint was key. Also, be careful with using a golf ball to massage it. Everyone kept telling me to "really work it," but I think that made it worse. I backed off the intense massage and instead massaged it gently. I also swapped out a big foam roller for a golf ball.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me the key was good cushioned shoes all the time and rolling my calves four times a day with "the stick". I also stretch my calves twice a day.

------------------------------------------------------------
I have failed at many things, but never in my desire to try again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had real good luck using these simple exercises.

Younger Legs For Older Runners: Pete's Home Remedies: Plantar Fasciitis - easy

I had PF so bad a year ago I could barely even walk. A couple weeks of these exercises and I was running again and the pain was all gone a week later. I still do them whenever I feel a little soreness and it only takes a couple days to be pain free again.

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I had PF for 1.5 years, I resolved to learn everything I could about it. What I discovered (and this is purely through internet searching so take it at face value) is that the most common cause of PF is inflexibility/stiffness in the calves and lower legs. Therefore the best treatment you can find is, probably, working on that inflexibiltity. Stretch and (more importantly) massage those calves and lower legs. Do it before every single distance run. It made a big difference for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thestick.com's foot wheel is great too

Lead, follow, or get out of the way...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would use the Strausburg sock after runs and at nite while watching TV. Use The Stick on calf after runs. Calf Lowers and down dog yoga stretches. Work on strengthening the foot, wearing Nike Frees might have been one of best solutions for me.

Had it really bad left foot in 2008. Flared up a bit last yr in right foot but knowing how to treat it kept it at very minimal level.

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar fasciitis Flare-up - the latest advice? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I assume you have/use a night splint? I just got this one and it works really well. Use it every night, symptoms or no symptoms.

http://alphamedical.amazonwebstore.com/...oot/M/B001PB1JO4.htm

Also, I use a Trigger Point ball on the bottom of my foot quite a bit.

X2

Trigger Point was like a miracle for me.

Quote | Reply
I just heavily massage it and hit the elliptical machine for a few days to give the arch a rest.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Samatha McGlone had a bad case of PF and I thought I heard Graston technique helped her. Not absolutely sure on this one and I'm not practitioner of it.

Maybe somebody who knows more will chime in.

Matt Amman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like any other musculoskeletal problem, plantar fascitis, is a result of an inability to absorb force. The end result is painful heel/foot.

The painful area is the symptom or where the pain ended up, not necessarily where the problem started or the origin. I have treated people who had plantar fascitis and the origin of their problem was in their quad, big toe, a shin muscle, and one in the hip flexor.

Re-Train the problem area to absorb force, and your symptoms should improve. This mean train the problem area to elongate eccentrically.

Chris Scarborough CSCS
http://RunAFasterRace.com
Coach@BetterRunningSpeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar fasciitis Flare-up - the latest advice? [speedcoach09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Per our other link, I asked the ARP people about PF. Seems they do this work quite a bit.

I have mine under control, but will likely do some foot work when the other bits get better
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar fasciitis Flare-up - the latest advice? [FisH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It simply identifies what did not absorb force and re-trains it to absorb properly. Treating PF used to be a crap shoot, now we consistently get rid of it easily in less than 2 weeks and treatment is much more permanent.

Chris Scarborough CSCS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've also had it flare up off & on for many years. None of these things are original, but for me this combination keeps PF at bay. As soon as I feel it coming on I do these things religiously:

-loosen up my foot / calves in bed before taking a step in the morning
-put on a shoe / slipper before stepping out of bed (and never walking barefoot)
-ice 4-5x per day
-roll my foot on a tennis ball while sitting at my desk (golf balls always seem to hurt too much)
-avoid standing for long periods
-no running on concrete
-tape foot before every run
-OD on Ibuprofen (800mg 3x a day)

----------------------------------------------------------

If it's a YMCA pool, the lightning wanders around the locker room naked for an hour, then uses the blow dryer on its junk. -lunchbox
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar fasciitis Flare-up - the latest advice? [Soulmining] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Also- keeping my arch fully supported (I never went barefoot) at all times while i was having issues seemed to help. I stepped out of bed right into a pair of birkenstocks to avoid that dreaded PF wake-up first step!
good luck!

I had it bad in one foot and a light case in the other. I wore one of the funky socks to manage it and stretched a whole lot. However, the best thing about switching to Nike Free and going barefoot all the time- my PF completely vanished. Not a trace of it. My knee and ankle issues vanished as well. But the PF going away was huge. I now run in Nike Free, workout in Nike Free and am always bare-footed or sock-footed around my house. For work I sought dress shoes with little heel and support. I am in my late 40's and this worked out great! Lots of people say you can never go barefoot again, by my experience is exactly the opposite.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar fasciitis Flare-up - the latest advice? [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The fact that it so frequently comes back shows that most treatments only address the symptoms and not the problem. Nothing wrong with treating the symptom. But if ONLY the symptom is treated, the problem will come back. Above suggestions are great, but of course you should be able to walk barefoot without pain.

I have never seen a hot spot on the heel of an athlete even if that is where the pain was -- I have seen it over the big toe or top of the foot.

Chris Scarborough CSCS
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar fasciitis Flare-up - the latest advice? [speedcoach09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which tissues do you find dysfunctional on the dorsal surface of the foot?

Matt Amman
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar fasciitis Flare-up - the latest advice? [chiro18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Which tissues do you find dysfunctional on the dorsal surface of the foot?

This is getting fun ;-)

Prev Next