Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Retro TT stuff [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have any photos of these seat post /parts? I am rebuilding a GT superbike3 and have had to make a lot of post parts.
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This needed to be added to this thread:

Taken from here

I designed the original bar in, Nov/Dec '87, in my studio in Indianapolis. I thought at the time, after sharing my design ideas, etc., with Profile, I had a verbal agreement about royalties, etc., that i could trust. I was paid a paltry design fee, and then was shut out completely. The picture you post is the 2nd generation 'Add-Aero" with the internal telescoping wedge, (Profile's upgrade vs my collet clamp) that they ended up patenting in '91/'92. I was not listed as the inventor.
At the time I had designed the bar, I was unaware of the Scott clip-on, patented by Boone Lennon. I just thought that the 'triangular bar, Scott & Profile, wasn't the way of the future.
So we have the '88 TDF, and therafter things changed forever.
Ken Nowakowski

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Last edited by: jeremyb: Feb 5, 10 20:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the lack of top tube was an obree inspired thing- (i am speaking from reading elsewhere, unlike others i of course was totally uninvolved)

obree's custom made bikes had no top tubes originally- he did this because he felt knee position (very knock need almost touching) was really important, and if you have a toptube you cant bend your knees in for aerodynamics...

ive tried ridign that way, and it makes my knees hurt in 15 seconds...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-Cartels: Serotta, Zipp 2001, Guru, eh?
-"It was kinda long and then i got really tired"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dont make me have to go to the attic and bust out the Scott 100k bars....

Wait, I am moving soon and am going to have to get them and all the other stuff out....

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [R10C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have anything fun you want to sell me?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power Cranks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

the scott 100k bars were very minimal... i think the next version were called Y1 bars (above) which only had one strut and you held it with one hand above the other , moving one shifter to the frame , with brakes angled like fishhooks on the side ...

from another post i made in...
Re: What 'high tech' gadgets does Chrissie Wellington use? Do you need the gadgets to be great? [Tom A.]

1 piece aerobars (scott 100k bars) ...

http://www.peletoneast.com/...986&d=1245767691

trilite bars....

the slingshot frame ...

or ..

l

springloaded armrests

Last edited by: lacticturkey: Feb 6, 10 0:29
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my bike, although now it has risers and spoked rear and is just a cruiser.

Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [luckyleese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Jim Felt engineered "drop cranks" that Paula used. If she were racing today the forum would be agog with excitement and threads dedicated to them and (almost) everybody would be rushing out to buy a set.
I recall that the idea behind the drop cranks was that on the downstroke pedalling force essentially "tipped" them forwards thus effectively lengthening crank length on the downstroke. Big chainrings to go with her 24 inch wheels.
They did increase stance width or "Q factor" but supposedly PNF preferred the wider stance.

Kevin

p.s. best thread ever! There was so much innovation from the 80's through the 90's that if the UCI hadnt stifled innovation what bikes, bars and positions we would be seeing now.
Last edited by: flying wombat: Feb 6, 10 1:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damn dude
feel like should I paypal you a dollar or something.

reminds me of the bit I just read in cryptonomicon where lawerence waterhouse is proudly showing a general his invention of the digital computer, while the general furiously takes notes to steal it for his computing machine business back home =)

In Reply To:
This needed to be added to this thread:

Taken from here

I designed the original bar in, Nov/Dec '87, in my studio in Indianapolis. I thought at the time, after sharing my design ideas, etc., with Profile, I had a verbal agreement about royalties, etc., that i could trust. I was paid a paltry design fee, and then was shut out completely. The picture you post is the 2nd generation 'Add-Aero" with the internal telescoping wedge, (Profile's upgrade vs my collet clamp) that they ended up patenting in '91/'92. I was not listed as the inventor.
At the time I had designed the bar, I was unaware of the Scott clip-on, patented by Boone Lennon. I just thought that the 'triangular bar, Scott & Profile, wasn't the way of the future.
So we have the '88 TDF, and therafter things changed forever.
Ken Nowakowski

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This *is* the best thread ever, we should copyright it or something before the industry scans through it for new ideas.

I think I've figured out how dave scott was so fast without any technology

mustaches

we need mustaches

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and profile's use of square clamps for round bars, now that was a wonderful idea!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

the scott 100k bars were very minimal... i think the next version were called Y1 bars (above) which only had one strut and you held it with one hand above the other , moving one shifter to the frame , with brakes angled like fishhooks on the side ...

Those wheels remind me a lot of another other thread going on right now.

Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the time, not all handlebar clamp diameters were the same (Cinelli 26.4mm, TTT & others 26.0).

The hand grip cross section was different on a variety of bars as well.

I began with the V-Block design to be universal in application to bars available, fully realizing that a mating I.D. & O.D. would have been optimal, and presuming that the V-block design would be adequate.

I was not involved long enough after the initial period to do any re-design, bebugging, etc.

Ken Nowakowski

ken@probikesltd.com
http://www.probikesltd.com
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [BMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This is the system that all ITU aerobars should use. That would be the easiest system to allow ITU athletes to clip on some aerobars and match them up with a flat bar drop bar like you have. I could buy one for sure. Just a simple T shape extension coming out straight from the stem.

Jtek makes something similar:

http://jtekengineering.com/jtek_Axe_aerobar.htm

Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
mustaches

we need mustaches

Hehehe...I've been working on that ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am talking about something just a lot more simply in design. Everyone wants to over engineer everything.

Make it as simple as possible.

Just a very simpe T shaped extension that mounted to the stem like shown but with maybe an aero shaped front wing that is at the maximum distance allowed. That is it. No armrest, brackets or anything else. Just a very simple aero fronted T.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Dont make me have to go to the attic and bust out the Scott 100k bars....

Wait, I am moving soon and am going to have to get them and all the other stuff out....

Some of us still use them ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very nice! Love the reverse cable in the levers.

I bet at races folks try to figure out what bars those are and ask at their LBS who will have no idea.

I would also bet they are at least 1-2lbs lighter than many of the current carbon bar/stem combo's out today.

I never could get used to the Extreme though, shifting was a PITA if you wanted the F-Der to be up there too - and I would pinch my fingers in them climbing...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Very nice! Love the reverse cable in the levers.

I bet at races folks try to figure out what bars those are and ask at their LBS who will have no idea.

I would also bet they are at least 1-2lbs lighter than many of the current carbon bar/stem combo's out today.

I never could get used to the Extreme though, shifting was a PITA if you wanted the F-Der to be up there too - and I would pinch my fingers in them climbing...

The levers are actually CX levers that are intended to be run inline between the normal road lever and the brake...which is why there's an adjuster on that side of them. They also allow me to easily put brake levers up at the shifters if I ever so desire ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [Ken Nowakowski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, but in my experience, they tended to slip unless you tightened them enough that they deformed the bars, which was bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [flying wombat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the explanation ... PNF used those at least twice in hawaii.. was curious as to the what and why and how but info was scarce .

A totally different deformation for "better power transfer" (often voted worst cycling product ever) ...

PMP cranks ...

Last edited by: lacticturkey: Feb 6, 10 11:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
those pmp cranks fascinate me

someone can have the skill and knowledge to design and manufacture a crank arm, which is a culmination of centuries of technology really. math, metallurgy, business, and so on.

and then they don't understand that what they have done is completely pointless!

the human mind is awesome

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have/remember the aerobar seat belt? I'm sure someone on ST still has one or has a photo. I looked everywhere but could not find a picture to post. I had one on my old Tri bike. My bike was a Vitus 979, Shimano 600 SIS, Scott Bars, Aerolite pedals, Campy aero bottle and my Aerodyne helmet. I was everything hated by the cycling roadies in the 80's. =)

I remember Mark Allen raced Kona with one. Come to think of it, there may be a pic in his book. I'll have to dig that out.

If I remember correctly, one country used them in the Olympics.
Quote Reply

Prev Next