Re: Retro TT stuff [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They passed when Peter Reid used to race

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another, this was 2004. Notice the Hooker front brake too. How many Ironman Pros have done that?

http://www.peterreid.com/photos.htm

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can only assume 'yes', as I have a custom set that I made which are smaller, have better acutation (IMHO), and have a better profile; and of course are carbon.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I can only assume 'yes', as I have a custom set that I made which are smaller, have better acutation (IMHO), and have a better profile; and of course are carbon.

Stephen J

hook me up!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [R10C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

When Roval use Sun rims?

Ken Nowakowski

ken@probikesltd.com
http://www.probikesltd.com
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Funny to me that this bike looks so crazy-cool-custom, and then generic Profile extensions that dont match the red/white/blue paint. Check out the aero cranks.

These were the USA Team Olympic track bikes ('92 I think). I never could understand the design; if you were going to save drag by omitting one tube, why remove the top tube?

Totally agree. Maybe Bio_McGeek or Andy can shed some light....
Because then you would have had a softride and the engineers wouldn't have looked so smart

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [luckyleese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There's a link to the photo you're talking about above but here it is:

You can see the effect of the cranks on both feet - there's a distinct dog-leg between the amin crank and the peddle. I asked the same q their purpose a while back and was informed the idea was to put the ball of the foot nearer the peddle spindle like SMP pedals are supposed to do now but in a more pronounced way. One of the downsides was a big increase in Q factor (3cm or so). I think the rings were so huge just to compesate for the wheels being so small
I thought the purpose was to effectively shorten the crank when coming over the top but effectively lengthen it when applying power.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I first started thinking about it that's what I thought but the explanation I butchered here was from Dan so either I misunderstood him (most likely) or he's got it wrong. On balance I think he's right though - look at her far pedal in the photo - with the crank at 3pm there is virtually no additional length provided by the hinged section.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Probably like the Vista pedals claim to do today.

http://www.vistadeal.com/En/EtudeBio.php

On a horizontal position, the front crank length has been increased by the value of X : Optimization of the active phase during pedaling.

On a horizontal position, the rear crank length has been decreased by the value of X : Reduced time of return.

Robbie
http://www.instagram.com/trisutto
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesnt get much sexier than this I doubt it'll actually go for the $3k, though it is beautiful.

Looks like a Hooker fork on there??????

Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [robbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not at all, Vista is more like SMp that has its design to offset the lever that is the distance from the center of the bone in the ball of your foot to the center of the pedal spindle. That crank as Frank said was to lower the time it took to recover the pedal stroke and limit how high you had to move your leg to recover before falling back over TDC.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Another, this was 2004. Notice the Hooker front brake too. How many Ironman Pros have done that?

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread

I saw that, very cool. You have any more pics? How did you come across it?

Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [stephen J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.... they sound great ... do you have a pic for us ?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still use them in both USAT and USCF racing, and have never been questioned. Of course most races aren't looking too close, but I did do the duathlon nationals last year, and they have people walking around. Mine are wrapped in stretchy tape to hopefully make them more aero.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my contribution ;)

yes....mine ;)

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Taken from this thread

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The beamers....

Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [sergio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy Hotta! Looks like the top of the steerer on the red one would be in your chest.
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [sergio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think that Pearson beam bike is retro........
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a blurry picture of a picture of my Mom in Kona around 1985...

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [cabdoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

That bike made me want a GT Vengeance sooooo bad when I was in middle school. To this day i still want a GT Vengeance.

I had one for years. A little heavy, and a long top tube, but a great bike all around. I finally sold it 6 or so years ago, but still have some of the rare seat posts and NOS Project 96 GT handlebar tape. I did a few IM's on it.

Mine without the Mavic Cosmic Carbone race wheels. I ran a 56/42 front chainrings- had to modify the front derailler braze on a bit to get the front derailler high enough.

And yes, this is a great thread. Anybody remember the old Pigg Power sliding seat posts?

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is my Bill Holland ti frame with his titanium "monorail" aeorbars. The aerobars attach directly to the front of the stem. I bought this used and when I took it to a bike shop to have it looked over, they told me the monorail had a hairline fracture. I found Holland's address, wrote him and he told me he doesn't make these any more, but send it in and he'd fix it. I did so and he sent it back a week later rewelded, no charge. I had to insist on sending him a check to at least cover his shipping cost. He's obviously one of those guys that believes a lifetime guarantee means, "if it breaks and I'm still alive, I'll fix it."

Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [shumanmo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the system that all ITU aerobars should use. That would be the easiest system to allow ITU athletes to clip on some aerobars and match them up with a flat bar drop bar like you have. I could buy one for sure. Just a simple T shape extension coming out straight from the stem.
Quote Reply

Prev Next