Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

favorite olympic and international distance tris?
Quote | Reply
Hey ladies~ I'm trying to put together my race calendar for next year and being new to triathlon... thought it would be cool to hear from some of you on most fun courses, most scenic, etc. I live in the Pacific NW but am totally up for travelling. I'm looking for only olympic and international distance races. Thanks! Christine
Quote Reply
Re: favorite olympic and international distance tris? [ChristineH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lavaman on the Big Island in March.
Quote Reply
Re: favorite olympic and international distance tris? [ChristineH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi! I started a thread about this a few months ago, here are the responses:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...rch_string=;#2502933
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wildflower is an awesome experience. They have the HIM on saturday, OLY distance on sunday. The course is hilly and challenging but beautiful location. You can go for the whole weekend. It was a blast and I'm going to plan on doing it every year!
Quote Reply
Re: favorite olympic and international distance tris? [runninginaz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all! I signed up for Lavaman. I see the Wildflower and Escape from Alcatraz are a week apart. Anyone who has done both, I'd love to hear which one you thought was more challenging. Thanks again!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wildflower vs. Alcatraz...it depends on what your strengths are, as to which race is more challenging. The swim in WF is pretty standard, nice temps, no real currents. The swim at Alcatraz is quite a bit more freaky- the boat jump, the helicopters, sighting and the swells. The bike at WF is hilly, yes, but really one the one first major hill is a completely grind- the others are rolling. The bike at Alcatraz however, is pretty intense, albeit shorter than WF. I used a road bike for Alcatraz and did not feel like I was slowed down by not using aero equipment- there are several steepers! The runs are similar, although Alcatraz is longer. And on a surprising amount of dirt. I would say the difficulty of hills is comparable, but with Alcatraz being longer, it is more difficult.

In short, I think Alcatraz is a more challenging course, but WF comes in pretty darn close behind it-but it all depends on your strengths and fears. As far as race experience goes, I think Alcatraz cannot be beaten! But as for the whole weekend experience (camping, venue, drive to the venue)- there is nothing like WF!

Do both sometime in your life if you can!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have not done Wildflower, but did do Alcatraz this year.

Alcatraz is AMAZING and definitely a "Bucket List" item. It's just such a cool experience!

Though, it isn't really an "international" distance. You train a bit more like long course. That is one helluva tough time! There are SO many stairs on the run, it's insane. And then running in the sand. And the hills on the bike are quite steep. :) Don't let the bike distance fool you. It's every bit as tough as any Oly. I loved the sand ladder. I trained for it by taking the stairs to my 5th/6th floor office every day for four months. It ended up being my best split placement of the day.

It's still just an incredible race. I must have thought to myself, "You are swimming in SF bay! That's Alcatraz over there! And that's the Golden Gate!" a million times in the first half of the swim. Then the second half I just kept thinking, "Am I there yet????" :)

Wildflower is also on my future "to do" list, but I think you can actually just sign up for that one. Alcatraz is so much harder to get into. My advice would be to sign up for the Alcatraz Lottery and if you don't get in then do Wildflower instead. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should look at Lobsterman Olympic Tri up here in Maine - featured in the Triathlete mag as the most scenic race in the U.S. This kind of rankings is a bit foolish, I know, but that doesn't take anything away from the fact that the race is in a spectacular location: right on the Maine coast. I've done it three years in a row now. It's in the middle of September, usually has about 600-700 participants, and is really well run - with Maine lobster bake at the end, no less. It's organized by Tri Maine, and the announcer is usually a certain individual by the name Keith Jordan (one of the best RDs in the country)! More info is at http://www.tri-maine.com.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not done both, but I did Wildflower Olympic as my first race ever (granted it was back in 2002, but I think it is still a great race). It was so much fun and a beautiful course.

Other good Olympic distance races:
Columbia Tri in MD
Mooseman in NH
Black Bear in PA (new OLY distance, but is awesome sprint)
Westchester in NY
Quote Reply
Re: favorite olympic and international distance tris? [njtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first triathlon this past summer was the Chicago Accenture Tri and I had a great experience! Definitely recommend it to others...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love San Diego International - point-to-point with a little climb on the bike, calm water swim in the bay, and beautiful run along the SD harbor.

Tracy M. De Soto
Femme Designer/CFO/Attorney
De Soto Sport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Malibu as my first race, and would recommend it.
Quote Reply