Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Multiple Ironman Races in a year...
Quote | Reply
I was watching IMFL on Universal Sports last night. One of the athletes had done 3 Ironman distance races already this year (including IMKY and IMWI in back-to-back weeks). This cannot be healthy.

Professional marathoners run at most 2 marathons a year. This triathlete was running marathons in back-t0-back weekends, then taking a month off and doing another. I dont understand the logic here. Who would ever think this is a good idea?

I'm doing IMKY in August and don't even want to do 2 1/2 Ironman races leading up to it for fear of burning out. However, if the pros do multiple, maybe I can handle 2 1/2's before a full.

Anyone else do multiple Iron distance races in a short time period?

2010 Races:
Escape from Alcatraz Tri
Ironman Louisville
Quote Reply
Re: Multiple Ironman Races in a year... [terencejk05] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have to make a living......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did IMLP and IMWI in 2008. About 7-8 weeks apart.

I am doing IMCDA and IMC this year.

I think quite a few people have posted about doing 2 per year.

That said, I cannot imagine doing back-to-back a week apart, but, it works for some people. If you are at peak fitness and are able to quickly recover, it can be done. A few people posted doing back-to-back IMs and posting better times on the second one.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Last edited by: JSA: Jan 29, 10 7:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced 3 halfs prior to racing IM COZ last year and honestly felt very prepared - they were spaced out cleverly to allow for rest and recovery.
I am racing IM CDA and IM Florida this year, so if you take into account IM COZ that I did in late November, that will be 3 IMs in an 11 month period. However, again, they are spaced out to allow for rest/recovery. In between those races, I will again do 3 halfs - first one will be 6 weeks prior to IMCDA, next one 8 weeks after CDA, and the last one will be 5 weeks before IMF (and 4 weeks between 2nd and 3rd half).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
all out stand alone marathon is tougher then an IM. You need more recovery from it.

Some marathoners do more then 2 marathons per year as well. It can be done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excuse my ignorance, but are you a Pro? If not, go for it. The example you used was for pro marathoners doing only 2 marathons per year. I think for them, they only want to race in absolute peak form, and to do more than 2 per year is difficult with the taper and recovery process figured in. I also suspect that a pro marathoner may need more recovery time to 100% recover than a non-pro. Maybe not though.

For non-pros, we don't have to go full-bore every race. If we have an upcoming race, we can hold back a little. You just have to prioritize your races. If every race is an "A" race, don't book them too closely.

I also agree that a standalone marathon is harder to recover from than an IM.
Quote Reply
Re: Multiple Ironman Races in a year... [Andy S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome advice guys! Thanks a lot!

You're right, pro marathoners are going 100% at their peak times. I'm just using the 1/2's as training for the full.

I'm by no means a pro. I'd put myself in the average to a little above average tri group. I enjoy doing the races, so I might just plan on doing the two 1/2's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mentally building back up the training load again is hardest part depending on gap between. Mostly depends on your yrs exp and training consistency.

Did USA and Cozy last yr, about 4 months apart, which was plenty of time to recover and build up again. In the end i would have rather done 2nd closer to 3-3.5 months apart, given time of yr for Cozy.

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, to be clear, I have not done multiple IM distance races in the same year. I've raced IM and then an open mary 2.5 months later. My observations from the 6 IM's, numerous HIM's, and 1 open marathon:
  • Coming off every single IM I've done (1st one in '91, last one in '07), after several weeks of recovery, I have always felt stronger - swimming and cycling sooner than running b/c of longer recovery period for me on the run.
  • Same holds true for the HIM's
  • The open marathon beat the crap out of me much worse than the IM marathons. Open mary time was 2:5x, IM mary times are typically 3:2x-3:4x.
  • Where I see the biggest gains in fitness is on the bike. Post IM/HIM recovery, I'm riding 1 gear bigger than pre-race. I attribute this gain largely due to my overall training mileage/hours being on the low side (avg. ~10-12hrs/week in an IM year).

If I could swing 2 IM's in a year financially, I would. The first IM would be used as an overall barometer of fitness and used to dial in pacing and nutrition, and apply learnings to training after recovery period leading up to the second IM, what I would consider my "A" race for the year. This approach has made me consider doing a "solo-Man" training day in the Spring to prepare for a late summer IM (IMWisc or IMKy). But I'm still several years away from the next big race.

Good luck at Louisville and with preparations leading up to it!

Tad

It took awhile, but I finally discovered that its not the destination that's important, but rather the journey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did IMMOO this year, felt like I didn't want to be finished for the season, and so shelled out for a community fund slot for IMFL 8 weeks later. I had a huge PR at IMMOO, and then took another hour off at IMFL (I know, easier course, but I'll take it!). It wasn't so bad physically but mentally there were a few weeks in between the 2 that I had difficulty retaining focus. Used a different training plan with higher intensity work for IMFL which I think helped mix it up. Plus I had more confidence in what my body could handle.. helped me push harder on race day. It was such a fun challenge that I'm doing it again this year - 2 half IM's, then IMKY and IMFL.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do a search for "Joe Bonness". He's a legend in this sport for doing multiple back-to-back IM's. A few years back, he would do GFT (Great Florida Triathlon), Kona, and Ironman Florida, along with Clearwater all the space of about 5 weeks. It comes down to your personal ability to recover and your desire to push your limits. I also like doing long races in close proximity. This spring, I'm doing IM Australia, then two weeks later, Superfrog 1/2 IM, then 3 weeks later Wildflower 1/2. This way, I only have to do ONE long build for the IM, and then go into the other races using that fitness rather than having to rebuild for each race.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the athletes had done 3 Ironman distance races already this year (including IMKY and IMWI in back-to-back weeks). This cannot be healthy.

A single Ironman is not healthy.
Quote Reply
Re: Multiple Ironman Races in a year... [FJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Touche...

I'm just worried about burning out before the full IM.

My goal is to get two 1/2's in before the big boy. I'll wait on signing up though. The good thing about most 1/2's is that they don't sell out. So I can still sign up a month out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Touche...

I'm just worried about burning out before the full IM.

My goal is to get two 1/2's in before the big boy. I'll wait on signing up though. The good thing about most 1/2's is that they don't sell out. So I can still sign up a month out.

I'm sort of doing that this year. I'm doing the Lonestar 70.3 in April, Florida 70.3 in May and the Syracuse 70.3 in September. All that leads up to Ironman Florida in November. I'll let you know how my 40 year old body holds up. I figured I would never be in better shape than this year so I might as well go ahead and do an IM at the end of the season.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More power to anyone who is going for more than one Ironman for year but can somebody explain me what the point is?
Specially if you are not a pro and stand no chance to qualify for Hawai (like myself).
Also you can not even compare your times from one course to another or even from one year to next on the same course because of the outside factors.

--------------------------------------------------------
I see obsessed people.
Quote Reply
Re: Multiple Ironman Races in a year... [doubleplay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im doing IMCDA and silverman. why? because I like longer races and having one at the end of the season is a good way to cap off a season.
Quote Reply
Re: Multiple Ironman Races in a year... [IRONwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure Hillary Biscay won an IM event last year the week after racing an IM event
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see no problem. IMLP and IMC are five weeks apart this year. I will get one week of almost total rest, with just stretching and a little light spinning or swimming. The three weeks of intensity to maintain my fitness level, followed by an easy taper week.

I haven't even decided if either one will be my "A" race. I want to do well at both so maybe A and A-minus. Also doing a half about 7 weeks before IMLP.

Not sure what I will do if I get a lottery spot in Kona ;)

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Multiple Ironman Races in a year... [LSUfan4444] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm pretty sure Hillary Biscay won an IM event last year the week after racing an IM event
-----------------------------------------
hillary did, indeed, win IM wisconsin the week after doing another IM. probably 2008, though.....
peggy
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Ultra-tri-guy [ In reply to ]
Re: Multiple Ironman Races in a year... [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More power to anyone who is going for more than one Ironman for year but can somebody explain me what the point is?
Specially if you are not a pro and stand no chance to qualify for Hawai (like myself).
Also you can not even compare your times from one course to another or even from one year to next on the same course because of the outside factors.

I guess some of us just do it for fun and Ironman events are a great excuse to travel around doing cool suff.

I don't compare times as they are not really important to me.I compare the experiences.

You really would not approve of my schedule this year at all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

It doesn't matter if I approve or not, whatever floats your boat. I wish you the best of luck and have fun.

--------------------------------------------------------
I see obsessed people.
Quote Reply
Re: Multiple Ironman Races in a year... [doubleplay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
helpful posts, thanks everyone.

i agree, i like doing the actual races. it's also great traveling to different places. i don't think i'm quite ready for 2 Ironman races in a year, but i feel i'll be in good enough shape for Escape from Alcatraz, 2 1/2's and a full at the end of August. Probably take all of September off.

I think this could be my best fitness year, so why not do a few extra races right?

2010 Races:
Escape from Alcatraz Tri
Ironman Louisville
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this post. I've been thinking a lot about this, tentatively planning for IM Canada and Arizona in the same year, 12 weeks apart. I thought it might be pushing it, but the consensus here seems to be that it should allow lots of time for recovery.

-----------------------------------------------------------
"No more hurting people - Peace"
Quote Reply
Re: Multiple Ironman Races in a year... [big slow mover] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
all out stand alone marathon is tougher then an IM. You need more recovery from it.

Some marathoners do more then 2 marathons per year as well. It can be done.

sorry but BS lol! IM is all out all day . . . Fast marathoners train fast and go high miles too . . . certainly Ryan hall trains low5's on long runs even. I could surf and get some real numbers but I'll leave it at least an educated level of bs =)
Quote Reply
Re: Multiple Ironman Races in a year... [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I see no problem. IMLP and IMC are five weeks apart this year. I will get one week of almost total rest, with just stretching and a little light spinning or swimming. The three weeks of intensity to maintain my fitness level, followed by an easy taper week.

I haven't even decided if either one will be my "A" race. I want to do well at both so maybe A and A-minus. Also doing a half about 7 weeks before IMLP.

Not sure what I will do if I get a lottery spot in Kona ;)

I think that'll be an ideal muscle memory pause between those two races. I'd make the second ur A race! Expect to FLY! Errbody responds a lil different I guess but 5 weeks I think is perfect. GOOD Luck!
Quote Reply

Prev Next