Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Running with a Iphone
Quote | Reply
So my wife is about to have our first child (two weeks!?!) and I am getting a little nervous going out for long runs with out my phone. Of course I tell myself that not much can/will happen in two hours but I would rather not risk it.

Does anyone run with their phone? What kind of case/belt do you use? I "think" I would prefer something around my waist to something around my arm - but could be easily swayed!

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Running with a Iphone [caseys8527] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do, but only because it's faster to download/stream podcasts and radio. I will either hold it in my hand or if it is cold I will put it in my windbreaker pocket. I don't take it longer than an hour because of the moisture. The iPhone might be the best invention ever.

----------
Fortitudine Vincimus
Quote Reply
Re: Running with a Iphone [Epiclesis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I do, but only because it's faster to download/stream podcasts and radio. I will either hold it in my hand or if it is cold I will put it in my windbreaker pocket. I don't take it longer than an hour because of the moisture. The iPhone might be the best invention ever.

until you ruin it from sweat/dropping it while running sure

=)

on the other hand there are apps to use the iphone as a gps training tool as well

id wrap that sucker up in a super waterproof shock absorbing case though

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are in the middle of your run and get a call, you would still have to run home so I'm with the "leave it at home" crowd.

If you really want to be careful, just don't do your long run for a few weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put it in a plastic ziplock and either hold it or stick next to my hip if I am wearing my tri shorts (usually under tights). The compression holds in place, but you may get a hickie from the bag rubbing against your hip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like the arm band I use for several reasons.

My job requires me to be available pretty much all the time and I have a 6 month old now and faced some of the same concerns you are now.

I use my iphone on my arm because your call will interrupt/pause your song and you can look on your arm, see who it is and answer without stopping. You can hear the call in your headphones and when it is on my arm I talk normal (as normal as I can when running) and have the conversation.

When call is over - music back on and zoom zoom!

But, I've never used a waist carrier . . .

http://tri-ingfatman.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't for two reasons, first the weight and size of it bother me, it is not comfortable to me on my arm and I would not hold it in my hand for the second reason, that being it's just not worth it. iPhones are ----ing expensive, if you don't believe me, go ahead and lose one. You may have got it for 199, 299 or even 99, but if you lose or break it prior to 2 years you are SOL. AT&T will be happy to sell you a new one at anywhere from 400-600 bucks PLUS a 2 year extension of your contract just to "sweeten" the deal. Or you can go on eBay where depending on the model they run anywhere from $250 for a used 8gb first generation (2G) to a thousand dollars for a new unlocked 3GS.

Having now owned each generation of iPhone, I think many iPhone users are oblivious to the true cost of their phone since it was likely heavily subsidized for them, but if anything happens to it before that 2-year contract is up get ready to bend over and take it if you want a new one.

I destroyed mine backcountry snowboarding if you are curious, now I have a $20 nokia dumbphone that I got at walmart for such occasions, I just switch the SIM from my 3GS into the expendable phone and go without worrying if I lose/break it.
Quote Reply
Re: Running with a Iphone [tri-ingfatman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use my iphone on my arm because your call will interrupt/pause your song and you can look on your arm, see who it is and answer without stopping. You can hear the call in your headphones and when it is on my arm I talk normal (as normal as I can when running) and have the conversation.

Dito. I use my phone (T-Mobile "Dash") so as not to carry additional stuff when I commute to/from work.
Quote Reply
Re: Running with a Iphone [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That makes a lot of sense. Good idea!
Quote Reply
Re: Running with a Iphone [Porfirio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any specific Armband that people like?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife runs with hers in a pouch. She got it at a running store, basically it's a 1" elastic band (adjustable) with a colored elastic pouch that zips closed. Very secure, but you'd have to stop and take it out to answer the call. Sort of like this one: http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/AMP102/ but that's not it exactly, hers zips across the front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FBJ's got the right answer -- don't do your long run if you're on "strip alert" for the delivery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the one I use and like a lot.

http://www.marware.com/...rtible-for-iPhone-3G

http://tri-ingfatman.blogspot.com
Last edited by: tri-ingfatman: Jan 27, 10 9:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as iphone replacement goes. I bought my wife the first
one when the second one came out she wanted one and when
I showed her there was no increased benefit except memory
it was mysteriously dropped and face shattered of course requiring
a new one which they charged full price.
One thing you could do to be closer if the blessed event occurs
is temporarly run multiple shorter loops to be closer to home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had my second baby last spring. I was training for ironman at the time and kept all my workouts close to home. A bit trickier biking than running. If you don't bring your phone and her water breaks or she starts having contractions and she can't call you because your phone is sitting on the counter YOU WILL PAY FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!! :)

I also almost always bring my phone with me in case of emergency. Biking it goes into my jersey pocket or bento box. On longer runs I have a pocket on my fuelbelt. I have a g1 so its not a cheap phone either but I don't worry much about it. If it may rain then I put it in a ziploc bag.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Running with a Iphone [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't AT&T sell insurance for the IPhone?

That's the first thing I purchased when I got my Droid....can't afford to buy a new one if I lose or damage it.

Ron W.
Quote Reply
Re: Running with a Iphone [rjsurfer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Doesn't AT&T sell insurance for the IPhone?

That's the first thing I purchased when I got my Droid....can't afford to buy a new one if I lose or damage it.

Ron W.

Yeah....it's called an Otter Box. Waterproof and shock proof case for 50 bucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use an Amphipod Micropack Land Sport on almost every run to carry my iPhone as well as cash/id/credit cards. It securely attaches to the inside of the waist band of your pants/shorts and I find it perfectly comfortable and don't notice it at all when I have it on. The iPhone is a tight fit in the Land Sport, however, so if you plan to carry much more than me you may want to try a bigger model.
Quote Reply
Re: Running with a Iphone [triarcher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone! Be very careful if you run with your iphone. They are VERY sensitive to moisture and the internal moisture sensors trip easily which completely VOIDS any and all warranties on the phone. I found out the hard way. If you run with it you better be sure you keep it dry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run and bike with my iPhone. I use this:

http://www.spibelt.com/

I have had it for about 4 months. I don't even notice I have it on me, holds the phone very snug against my waist. I put it in a cheap sandwich bag to keep it dry.

I bought the waterproof bag with it, but only use it instead of the sandwich bag if rain is raining.
Quote Reply
Re: Running with a Iphone [Epiclesis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

X2 on the IPhone being a true life changer.

As to the OP, I have already had my IPhone bounce twice off of a fast-moving treadmill with no damage while running.

If I'm concerned about moisture, then I use snack-size Zip-Lock bags to cover the device.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Running with a Iphone [Skippy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use this belt too. Doesn't flop around and is very comfortable.

I ALWAYS run with my iPhone, regardless of how long I'm running. A couple reasons:

1. Safety. If I fall and break my leg I want to be able to call 911
2. To take pictures of anything I find unusual
3. Music in case I get bored
4. In case my family has to get a hold of me

If I forget it at home or in the car I feel naked and depending on my plans I might go back and get it.

Oh yeah, I've dropped it multiple times while running and even dropped it into the footbath while getting a pedi. No damage.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: JenHS: Jan 27, 10 22:28
Quote Reply
Re: Running with a Iphone [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,

For various reasons I need to be available by phone, and I have an iPhone, so I run with one.

I use the pouch on the amphipod belt.

Put in the middle of my back it really is no big deal, especially c/w the weight of a water bottle or two.
Quote Reply
Re: Running with a Iphone [Skippy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second the belt, comfortable and do not really know it is there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nathan makes some small waist packs. I carry the phone in a ziploc.
they don't make the one I have but this is the closest.

http://www.nathansports.com/...ners-paks/shadow-pak
Quote Reply

Prev Next