Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [stbNJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The only time I my cold feels better is after my run when I've blown everything out.

Funny you say that when people ask me why I run? I tell them because I can breathe better after. At least originally that was why.

Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the best possible use of compression gear is to try to prevent DVT.

And to look pretentious at the Expo the day before an IM.

I wear the full compression tights, Zoots, after really long runs or races. Mostly they just feel good and anything to prevent my leg muscles bouncing around even more that the race did to me helps that. I'll admit to wearing them on the plane on the way home from a race too when I was so sore I could barely walk. Did it both to prevent DVT and because it just felt good.

(waiting to board the plane in Phx. last October)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: JenHS: Jan 15, 10 16:21
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wear mine after long runs I can't do ice baths after and after races.

I'll also wear them before races if I have to travel a long ways (i.e. the 6 hour drive
to Vegas for SilverMan).

BUT, I'm way too considerate of my fellow human beings so i always wear
them under pants of some sort. :)

I'm not sure that they help that much, but I've already bought them so I might
as well use them.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was wearing jeans but had totally wrecked my feet and the sandels were the only things I had that I could walk in. I think I wore compression socks once in public and I am deeply ashamed. Lasted about 5 minutes.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [stbNJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get what you're saying. But are you sure running doesn't aggravate the cold long-term?

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zoot should come out with compression jeans, but only for the WOMENS. I'm thinking back to those Jordache commercials in high school....but the recent Heidi Klum version would almost make compression wear cool...I realize I am hijacking my thread about running with what should be in the hottie thread, but you guys can only talk about running so much:

Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now how the hell am I supposed to follow that post?

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7.60 miles on dreadmill b4 work felt terrible the first 35 minutes, after that at a 8 minute mile pace felt I could go lotsa longer. Unfortunatly work intervened and I had to work.

Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jumped into a local 5k "xc" race this morning, it took about 20 seconds of running to feel the 300 200 miles i put in this week on the bike. I didnt look at my watch but I felt very sluggish, my legs were just empty. got to the final mile marker, and just pushed it out. finished in 19:16. went and jogged really slow for a few more mins to get my ro.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [IRONwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice race Ironwolf. I probably still cannot do a 19 minute 5k. Came pretty close in september though maybe if I did not do a long run the day before:) LOL Any way great job after all that riding.

Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
neti pot
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [IRONwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
19:10 @ the local 5K this morning (certified course, flat, 2 90deg turns and a turnaround). It was pretty warn @ 29/30F!!

Nice low key even: No medals, no timing chip!!!!

Fred.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [fred_h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, so I just looked at the stats....sitting at 140th in this Challenge with 298K of total running in a few minutes under 24 hours total.

Today did the Richmond 10K outside Ottawa....just under zero C but windy....same race that Fred did. We had a few 100/100 guys in there. I always run better after a short ride and got on the trainer for a 40 min 180W ave warmup with a few surges to 100% FTP to get the blood flowing, changed, stretched, got in the car, drove 20 min to race start, got my bib, did around 4K of warmup running with a bunch of spints, put on my Newton racing shoes (yellow ones). First K was 3:50, 5K 19:15 (mainly into the headwind). @ 9K it was 33:20, so I needed a 3:39 to break 38. Ran as hard as I could and the clock said 37:59 at the line, but this is a low key local race with 500 people and hand timing, so gotta wait to see if they gave me that second or not. 6th overall. I love the pain of a 10K...it just creeps up and halfway through it is like the gorilla riding your back that you can't get rid of.

Anyway, the cardio conditioning is good with the XC ski training and bike work, but just carrying an extra 5-7 lbs over race weight (some intentional upper body mass for XC and some fat to get through winter without getting sick in the cold).

Afternoon was a big XC ski with the boys 2:15, 38K with a 16.59 TT (get the planned 1 hour of intensity in today). Pretty cooked now....but I love ths town with all the sports options!!!
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice racing Fred and Dev. hope all these miles I have been doing turn into results like yours. Did a slow 4 .25 miles in the rain with a constant wind. Ended up .20 miles below 70 this week. Tonight was my second run of the day. Could not help it as I have been running on the dreadmill all week. JoeO was right does go buy more qiuckly after running on dreadmill all week. Not as quick as when it is dry out though. Probably should have bagged the run due to a ear ache that is radiating to my jaw and was making me a bit dizzy. Actually last night left arm felt a bit weak and tingley with ear ache and jaw ache. Yes I know the signs so am setting up a full cardio checkup for this week. Heart rate has been steady and not weird so I know I am okay but better safe then sorry. Also wanted to say to ninetoes congrats on hitting 50 runs !!

Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2.5-ish hours of snowshoeing yesterday + 4.8 mile run had me wiped out! In bed at 9:30. Slept for 12 hours. Did a 7.2 mile slog today. I haven't had that slow of a pace on that trail in a very long time. I just focused on how lucky I am that my body can even be doing any of this. Ten years ago I would have laughed. Now I'm one week post 50k and did a full training weekend. My legs sure felt it today though.

Sheesh, this made me tired just writing it. Another early night for me!

I'm ranked:
#10 when sorted by time.
#54 by distance.
#115 in frequency.
#107 by the mysterious points.

I've decided to adopt the by time measure, therefore I am #10!

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2.5 hour snowshoe+4.8 mile run....no wonder you are tired...that's like doing a marathon!

I can barely walk this morning.....what was I thinking doing an XC ski TT harder the 10K run race intensity on the same day that I ran a 10K race.....oh well! Heading for a recovery ride now (CT).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going for a spin class then a 6-8 mile run on dreadmill as I have the wee ones with me because of ML King day. Then going to call up Dr. and set up a full Cardio Stress test. Just hope i can turn that into a workout for the 100/100 :) I will find a way. Should hit 50 runs today and going on second week of " long runs" to hit the 70 mile mark. Just hope I can fit in a loner run day in the 14 -16 mile range.

Quote | Reply
Hit my first ever 40 mile week last week! I ran 11 miles yesterday and today I feel pretty good, I guess this 6 day a week thing does teach the body to better handle the pounding. For comparison's sake during the fall last year I was only running 3-4 times a week in prep for a HIM and after an 11 mile run I hurt the next day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been working my way back up to some higher mileage too. Up to 36 this past week. 38 scheduled this week then stick around 40-42 after that for the rest of the winter into the spring.

35 days so far (started a day earlier) and heading for run 36 at lunch. Did a 9 miler yesterday at what was my 1/2 marathon pace this time last year and it felt easy. Crazy the difference a year makes to a new runner (2 years into it now).

--
MyGearGarage - Track all your gear!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate when you guys use the word "pounding". Feather the ground like Bruce Lee...try to make your footstrike silent....no thump thump thump :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First longer run yesterday, 15km. The snow has melted and it was good to be out. I can start to feel a bit fitter (or less unfit ;-), gaining some benefits from the regular running.

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Fix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So did 8 miles on dreadmill after a 52 minute spin class. Actually 45 minutes but I did a bit longer. Can you say Brick work out? Damn MLK day w/kids off from school. Car therm. reads 52 degrees and hardly any wind!!! Golly Gee Willickers... I want to bike or run outside:) Might still do a 40 minute run later just because I know there will not be many days like this in January and febuary.

Quote | Reply
Gingerly getting back to running after a weekend of sleeping off the cold. Will try for 30 min on the treadmill tonight.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are finally getting some weather here in Southern California. It was nice to hit the muddy trails this morning - got my mind off of the way the Chargers played yesterday.

Dax
http://dirtyrunning.blogspot.com

Dax
http://dirtyrunning.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [dax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slow jog in the rain for me. my calves are tight from saturdays race.
Quote Reply

Prev Next