Quote | Reply

What about a pic of Paula Newby-Fraser on her bike with small wheels

Robbie
http://www.instagram.com/trisutto
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bostick pics, back when he was on the Hooker - 1999 TN District TT:

Photos by Bill Parsons (http://www.sceniccityvelo.com)

2005 TN District TT

Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [robbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...ge_IMH_Winners05.jpg

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [luckyleese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We haven't had enough photos of people on tricycles smoking pipes yet. So I'm going to remedy that:

Norman Maggs, 24hr TT

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [gfzyriek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Bostick pics, back when he was on the Hooker - 1999 TN District TT:

Photos by Bill Parsons (http://www.sceniccityvelo.com)

2005 TN District TT

It is amazing how much easier it is to get down in that good aero position with a smaller front wheel..........has anyone ever raced (in this forum) with a 650 up front and a 700 in the back??
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [djciii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The other thing I love about that Hooker Elite is Kent basically has no base bar, a single chainring (I think it was a 56t), and a brake lever on the aerobar. I'm not even sure he could fit 2 levers on the base bar.
When he rode the Hooker, I started behind him in a 10-mile TT that had a big climb in the middle (small ring for me) and I thought he had lost his mind-- then he commenced to beating everyone. He is just a mound of horsepower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are a few more ("stolen" from an eBay auction)

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, a real Roval front wheel....them were the days...

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes but the hooker (and other funny bikes in this thread) were designed to have a smaller front wheel. It's really not the same as putting a 650 on the front of 700c bike

edit: sorry I thought you were replying to a different post. My bad.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Last edited by: luckyleese: Jan 12, 10 14:06
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [spirogeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I still have a black UNI cover in my basement.
Last edited by: Johnny99: Jan 12, 10 15:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

While looking through the rest of my photos I came across this picture of one of the Puntous twins in T1 along side her nor frills bike (#107). The twin is sitting on the ground wearing the red and white one piece tri suit:

Also riding the bike in transition.
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

While looking through the rest of my photos I came across this picture of one of the Puntous twins in T1 along side her nor frills bike (#107). The twin is sitting on the ground wearing the red and white one piece tri suit:

Also riding the bike in transition.

Although she does have what looks like a Cinelli aero helmet

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
has anyone ever raced (in this forum) with a 650 up front and a 700 in the back??

As I described in another recent thread, back in the day I converted my dual 700C Hooker Cat. 1 road bike into a 650C/700C TT bike by retrofitting it with one of their forks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know if TN still uses this course for districts? It is/was laser measured 40k and super fast. I think Bostic has gone under 49 there on a few occasions. I did it about 15 years ago and except for one tiny little rise around 20k it is pretty much dead flat with smooth pavement.

Bostic is an interesting character. Super fast, but to talk with him you would swear he was mentally challenged. The strange thing is that he's super smart and I think he's a hydro-electric engineer. Did a lot of contract work for TVA.

One of my favorite Bostic quotes, " Uh.. Have you ever gone so hard that you can taste metal in your mouth?" He went to give an explanation why that happens.. You could always tell when he was going to attack too... You would hear clunk, clunk, clunk as he shifted into the 11 and then a grunt and then the sound of his deep carbon wheels spinning up to speed. If you missed a Bostic attack you just weren't paying attention. The trick was holding his wheel at 50+kph and then trying to pull through to make the move stick.. uugh.. Great guy though.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Anyone know if TN still uses this course for districts? It is/was laser measured 40k and super fast.

I've often wondered the same thing, as Bostick's 45+ and Hines' 30+ U.S. TT records are the only 40 km marks not set in Moriarty:

45+ 49:57.98 Kent Bostick, Dunlap, TN, 6/6/99

30+ 52:50.23 Phyllis Hines, Dunlap, TN 6/11/95
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kent passed me in this race in 1999 riding that bike. That thing was loud, and he was an animal. I remember watching him put that bike together a few times over the years before time trials. It fit in a little bag when it was all taken apart.

---------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer: This poster is a sales rep in the bicycle industry
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Course is no longer used. There were several problems with drivers on the course, had a couple of people hit a couple of different years. The race has moved around a bit since leaving the Sequatchie Valley (that is the one listed as Dunlap, TN). That course was supposedly surveyed several different ways, and was at least very close if not dead on 40k.

That course was incredibly fast. There is as another poster pointed out one very slight rise, other than that, it is basically board flat. There is slight elevation gain to the turn around, so you get to ride "downhill" all the way home, also usually a slight tailwind on the way back (you had to ride into it on the way out, but I never noticed it til the turnaround).

It is really a shame the race can't move back there. but the locals in the area (I ride through that valley a lot) are not very friendly toward cyclists.

It is a beautiful spot, and there is a large century ride there in the fall that is usually timed to coincide with the fall colors, a great ride to check out.

http://www.chattbike.com

I live just on the other side of the mountain from that old course, it is basically Chattanooga, TN.

Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [bikescott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was going to say that is in the middle of BFE. The driver issues is not surprising, but the road is almost 4 lanes wide even though it is only marked for two. The paint lines on the road were thick and fast if you could ride on them. The last time I rode there was maybe in 91 (1st year Sr.) I can't remember. But I know I rode just under 55 on a road bike with clips,j-disc and more or less standard front wheel (30m rim with 24 blades). I also remember Hines smoking a bunch of men when she came out and I was still a Jr. (She would have smoked me too!) It would be nice to try to get on the course again.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There were a lot of fast racers on that course at one time or another! My fastest 40k time is there as well, just under an hour, road bike with clip ons and Spinergy RevX wheels (how is that for old school).

The road is wide, the vehicle encounters were intentional on the part of the drivers.

I have had some interesting experiences riding through there over the years. Still love riding there though, great climb over the mountain from Chattanooga, beautiful little valley to ride down, and then you can take a little tar and chip road back through the river gorge, or you can climb several tiny steep roads out of the valley to get back to Chattanooga. I love it, even with the rednecks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can probably get that low with a current bike. But it is doubtful that you could get that position. I am sure it is not even close to UCI legal- bars look way more than 80cm and are angled up.
Wonder what effective seat angle he is riding?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His 6 o'clock knee is even forward of the pedal spindle!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
His 6 o'clock knee is even forward of the pedal spindle!

It looks to be on the P3 as well...and if you look at one of my profile photos, I'm not sure if that's such an unusual thing anyway...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next