Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Retro TT stuff [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm...I don't know a lot of MTBs with bladed carbon forks though.
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [Fraussie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hmmm...I don't know a lot of MTBs with bladed carbon forks though.

Why would that matter?

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a material engineer. I would assume that with a bladed fork, the lateral constraints could be too high.
That said...

Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [Fraussie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Alf Engers. Alf dominated the sport in the UK in the 1970s. He was the man to beat at 25 miles. In 1978, he set a sub 50 minute time for 25 miles – 49.24, before tri bars and disc wheels.
Read more: http://cyclinginfo.co.uk/...hotos/#ixzz0cO8O0Z9l

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Post: Not sure what this is, but its cool. (edit: Lotus Track frame??) Found it on the web at one point, now its in my TT folder in iPhoto.

My hope is that someone (or some company) will become inspired and grow the balls to make some TT bikes for the rest of us not bound by the UCI. I'll do the marketing. We can chat offline :)

jeremy
Plus One Lap Cyclocross

Looks alot like a Mike burrows bike that was made for Olano's attack on the hour record in the end he didnt try for it think he did some tests and couldnt get the numbers!

M@TTY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boardman

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [R10C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
of course nevermind that the trimble there is just aero looking and not actually engineered. the top tube for instance is slowing it down.

which is a shame because the rest of it looks really nice!

In Reply To:
And the Trimble...lets not forget the Trimble...so much for the P3C being "cutting edge"...

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that is gorgeous!

i want that!

In Reply To:

1988 Olympic Bike taken from First Flight website there is a scanned article there for a good read written by Chet Kyle. Check out those handlebars. Makes the Hed Black Dogs less revolutionary.

The lotus came out in 1992.

Looks like Yamaguchi made the TT bike in 1992:

I'd put my money on the 88 bike.

Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
god damn that is impressive.
before epo and shit too
his position is spot on, and its a pretty low drag 'helmet' there too
In Reply To:

Alf Engers. Alf dominated the sport in the UK in the 1970s. He was the man to beat at 25 miles. In 1978, he set a sub 50 minute time for 25 miles – 49.24, before tri bars and disc wheels.
Read more: http://cyclinginfo.co.uk/...hotos/#ixzz0cO8O0Z9l

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't believe no one has posted this yet:

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on the all time fav Lotus

giant made something in 1992 MCR 1

1997 cheetah CAT ala natascha badmann although she had more aero brake levers

The risk of fractures is decreased by the additional inclusion of Kevlar in the laminary layers
Frame, X-Fork, Wheels Carbon - Kevlar Average weight of Cheetah normally 8000g - 8300 g depending on components Weight of frame approx.. 1300 g Weight rear wheel 650C 1020 g inc. freewheel Weight front wheel 650C 880 g Wheel base 1020 mm Bottom bracket- rear axle 400 mm Frame sizes 45 - 64 cm Steering head angle 72 deg. Seat tube angle
78 deg.

hotta bike

pearson

graeme pearson was racing bikes like this PEARSON VENOM in ironman and duathlon about 15 years ago.. he made them himself

Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [sub-3-dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
someone posted this the other day - I forget who but if you missed it here is the first part (of 8 they link continuously on youtube) of a rare channel four (UK) documentary on Obree and Boardman. It's one of the best hours I've spent recently - check out the state of Obree's frame in the early backyard training scenes.

http://www.youtube.com/...35B05634&index=0

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Funny to me that this bike looks so crazy-cool-custom, and then generic Profile extensions that dont match the red/white/blue paint. Check out the aero cranks.

These were the USA Team Olympic track bikes ('92 I think). I never could understand the design; if you were going to save drag by omitting one tube, why remove the top tube?

We've got a couple of the old superbikes here in the offce. The super narrow BB on these meant that the top tube would certianly interfere with pedalling among other reasons. I'm betting BB stiffness was another consideration.

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some pics of the Bursford bike:

and with a bigger chainring :)

There are a few others of this bike in the album:

http://s29.photobucket.com/...20Cycle%20Show%2009/

Some other interesting ones too - particularly the Shiv.

Nick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget the Hooker......I mean, who doesn't love a good hooker, right?

especially when they come with a retro website link too...
http://www.slowtwitch.com/.../hookers/hooker.html

jager
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [luckyleese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had a quick look - looks brilliant.

I'll most likely watch it after swim training; I could be staying up pretty late tonight!

/Thanks for posting.

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [paul_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That nice couple in the first pic very certainly ahead of their time.

From the movie Brokeback Timetrial?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone ever have one of these? Neither of these pics are mine but I had one just like it with a pair of Scott clipons. I'll try and dig up an old picture of my set-up (pre-digital days).

I believe it was a re-branded Nishiki. I bought one in 1986 when I was in H.S. and just getting into triathlon. The front 24" wheel was a little difficult to get tubulars for as there wasn't much of a selection. I sold it when I was in college and wish I still had it.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This link turned up on the NorCal District email distribution list - the 1964 San Gregorio Time Trial. I wonder what these guys would think about time trialing these days - real racers don't need no stinkin' pointy helmets . Some of them could certainly be still racing but I don't recognize any of the names.

http://www.velovecchio.com/sangregtt/sgtt.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Does this thing have an integrated stem/headtube dealy like the Trek Speed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first triathlon was the 1988 Bud Light USTS series event in Miami. I scanned a couple of pictures from that event. The first is Mike Pigg coming to the end of bike with the Scott DH bars and his Pigg Power Disc wheel:

Then me in T2 with a shot of some of the bikes:

Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fun to see at least a couple of UNI disc covers. I remember rockin a bright green UNI cover with Profile Aero 1s with bright green taps on my bright green Norco Victory Tri-A. That was the eighties in a nutshell.
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Two words: Chet Kyle. When EDS started what eventually became Project 96 we were going in the direction of the Zipp 2001. We were in conversation with Andy Ording at Zipp about having custom versions made. Also, had various prototypes made in steel by Dan Wynn. There was a guy from the San Diego area who was making extremely stiff custom carbon bean bikes (made one for Arron Hartwell) and these ideas were all on the table. When Chet got involved in the project all he wanted to do was build this bike, which was essentially a slightly updated version of a prototype for 1986 or so. You can find pics of the original moc-up in one of the old Cycling Science articles. No amount of wind tunnel data would convince him that there were better designs.
Chet also would not entertain ideas regarding changes in rider position. No steep seat tubes even though it was legal then. Also, we knew about the superman position but Chet and Ed Burke would not give it a chance. Superman position was a well kept cycling secret but one of the engineers at GM, a guy named Bill Surber found a picture of superman position being tested in an Italian language aerodynamics journal. I still have the xeroxed picture he gave me in a box somewhere. Could we try it with the US cyclists? No way.

Cheers,

Jim
In Reply To:

Great stories in this thread. As someone who wasn't around to see this progression and early ideas, this is all very fascinating. Question about this story though. Why did Kyle, refuse to accept the data, that showed it wasn't the best design? Did he has a personal agenda to push the frame?
Quote Reply
Re: Retro TT stuff [DrD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Anyone ever have one of these?

I did.
Quote Reply

Prev Next