Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenHS is smart. ;)

Yay! More sig file fodder.

Took Sunday off because I was exhaused. Short, non-official length run yesterday and rest day today. Tapering for a 50k :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took a day off too from running. Did do 1 hr 15 min on spin bike basically 10 minute semi hard warm up a hour hard then 5 minute cooldown. The 25 minutes in the pool. Pool water felt great on legs and 25 minutes went by fast. Not saying I was fast though :) But NO run, and it's eating away at me like rust though a old Datsun 280z. I will take a slow 30 minute run tommorow to start break in of other pair of new sneaks. So I can rotate them into next weeks runs.

Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should have run during Ottawa lunch time. Instead, I planned to run during San Jose lunch time (3-4 pm EST, 12-1 pm PST) as most of my work is with the team there. My entire afternoon going to 7 pm got sucked up by other meetings. I should know better by now. Let's see if I can squeeze in 30 minutes before dinner. Its not like anyone at home waits for me to get home before eating anyway :-)
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question for easy week training. Is it counter productive to replace reduced running time with increased swimming time?
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed that someone finally made it after over a year that "Challenges" aren't "*New*" on the
icon anymore.

Just as I was about to PM Rappstar to tease him about it. :)

-Jot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ARGH! I can't get my login to work on the training log. Keeps asking me to login, kicking me back here, then it goes around again.

Stooopid log....

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cookies blocked?
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [triinghard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to add it to my "safe" list. First time for everything I guess. Finally caught up.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's cool, but now you're in front of me! Not that I pay attention to such things:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another day off from running today, but still ahead of 8K per day pace (800K target). I really need to get back to the pool...then again, maybe I'll give myself another month off swimming so that I am actually motivated to get chlorinated again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pool? What's that?

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually kinda swam today if 600 yards counts. Needed to justify sitting in the hot tub after my second --totally only for the purpose of padding the spreadsheet-- run today killing time before the flight home.

No reason to lecture as I did some hard intervals this morning ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm joining. I had a personal goal to run at least 6 times a week, which by my quick and dirty calculations puts me at 84 or 85 runs.

Assuming my legs are still with me in March, I might try a few doubles if I can to hit Gold level.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Jamison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm feeling consistently good on my runs. So far so good.

Today was 64 min on the West Orange Trail (Orlando, FL) in the dark and cold (40 F). I was well bundled up, so it was just pure running, no bitching. Did some good pickups on the way back, counting the left-foot strikes: 10, 15, 20, etc.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like to find any studies that show advantages to increased frequency of workouts. There seems to be a lot of information floating around suggesting 7 runs per week burns for calories than 4 runs of the same mileage - or better yet 14 runs. Does anyone know of any original research out there I could read? Thanks!!

Geoff from Indy
http://www.tlcendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Celebrated my 33rd birthday yesterday buy running 33... errr... 3+3 miles. 6.

Had intended to come home and when my wife asked what I'd like for my birthday to say Bike 1 hr and Run 1 hr... instead she had a babysitter for the kids, and ready to go out to dinner. Not having had a private dinner sans kids in quite some time we went out and had fun.

Came home at 9:30PM (after some good italian and wine) and at least got the run in.

So hoping to get on the trainer 1 hr tonight... and 33 miles sat and sun and end up with 33 miles running for the week.

Not sure why i care about the 33 so much. Care more about the number in terms of miles than years. Lol.

--
MyGearGarage - Track all your gear!
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [geoffreydean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I would like to find any studies that show advantages to increased frequency of workouts. There seems to be a lot of information floating around suggesting 7 runs per week burns for calories than 4 runs of the same mileage - or better yet 14 runs. Does anyone know of any original research out there I could read? Thanks!!

No original research, but I have heard the same things. There are two basic reasons behind the theory - the first one I suspect is subject to more disagreement.

1.After running, your metabolism stays high for a period of time, so that will happen twice a day instead of once, burning some extra calories.

2.Your body burns more calories for the same effort earlier in a run. Studies have shown for instance that if you do a short warmup and then run ten miles at marathon pace, you burn a few more calories in the first mile than in the tenth mile. One reason why the first 5-10 minutes of a race where depletion is a limiting factor (longer than 2 hours for most people) should be done easier.

Personally, I have my doubts that splitting your run into two runs burns enough extra calories to make much difference. If you burn an extra 100 calories a day and leave everything else the same, it's a LONG time before you lose an extra pound. I rarely have done regular double runs because I don't think it's the most effective way to train for longer races, plus I work 12-8 which makes it tougher. But I actually enjoy two thirty minute runs more than an hour run, so during the challenge I've done a few doubles and will continue to do them. It allows me to run a bit faster for the same effort and I always "feel" like I'm getting in shape faster when I do them.

Once you arrive at the race, deposit your excuses in the same location as last night's pasta.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [eparrot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did a 32 minute run today around a 6min 50 sec pace on treadmill. need to run outside to slow myself up. Took yesterday completely off from running and the day before also. Though I did ski 4 hrs yesterday and bike, swim the day before. If you can call the Pocono's skiing. UP Down, Up down, repeat. You get the point. Keeping the rest of the weeks runs short and upping daily run mileage next week instead of doing two runs will most likely do a 10-12 mile run weather and time permitting. As I see my frequency lead melt away. Ahhh I am melting ... Not that I care see if I can get the mileage up there now 10 % increases dont want to go crazy. Staring to mix more bike and swim into the mix now doing mostly brick workouts because of time constraints. Yes in a perfect world I would do them seperatly

Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You live in the Poconos? Have you ever done the Run to the Red Marathon? I did it in May 2007. Great race
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joe,
I live in Robbinsville, just outside of trenton/princeton area. I have not done any marathons yet. I would like to do the NJ State Mary but unfortunatly it is a week before Devilman. So i might just do the half mary and hope the legs are recovered enough for the next weekend. You doing the Run to the red this year? Maybe I will sign up. Though you might have to come back on the course after your done and finish it with me :)

Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No not this year. In 2007 it was my backup marathon in case Boston went bad, which it did. So I dropped out at 30k and came back to the Run for the Red 3 weeks later and got a PR.

This year I'm running Boston again but if it's not going well I can't wait until May 16th (when Pocon is) and do another one. I'll be busy getting ready for Mooseman
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've thought about doing Mooseman because it is close to where I grew up, and because of the t-shirt and medal. How cool is that? A moose!

Easy run last night on the course of the event I'm doing Saturday. It is going to be a looooong run.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I'm counting correctly tomorrow is day 25.

That's the quarter way point by calendar days, but realistically it is more like 10% in. At this point you're barely getting warmed up. If you can make it through from day 25 to day 75, after that it becomes REALLY REALLY easy. Its like at this point, you're warmed up, but gotten just far enough to potentially have accumulated a whole what of aches and pains. Day 25 may be 10% in, but day 75 is more like 90% complete.

What I am saying is that if you can get over the hump of the next 50 days (7 weeks or so), with no injuries, then you'll likely make it to the end unscathed and with a massive base.

The reason why day 25 is only like 10% in is that the probabilty of breaking in the next several weeks is fairly high. This is why most training programs have 3 weeks build and one week easy....then repeat.

The mistake that most people will make at this point is push through and ignore the accumulated aches and pains. Then something "breaks" and it is game over. That's why I am saying we are only 10% done. How you manage the next 50 days (chronologically half the days) basically means success (getting to 90% complete on day 75) or not.

If you are smart, you'll listen to your body right around now and back off a bit. Less mileage and intensity for the next 10 days through less run frequency, shorter runs, and slower pace. Let your body absorb the load from the first quarter of days and the come back stronger

However, if you are racing M45-49 in 2010, please disregard the above. Make sure you do daily doubles of 10K minimum at paces no slower than 6 min per mile with at least 1000 ft of vertical up and down per run....that should cover it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,
You are freakin hilarious!!! I think you have inspired me to take a day off tomorrow....or not...we'll see.

I think I'm in the top 10 but I'm not chasing the sheet. I'm taking a holiday in Peru starting Mar. 12th and it entails climbing a 19,000 ft peak so i'm fairly certain that I won't be running at that point....so I'm committed to one double a week until then.

PS. I'm sure I ran with you once at lunch hour on the Kanata Lakes trails. I used to work at Newbridge and if you are the psycho tri guy i ran with then it was you after all.

cheers,
Al(boodie).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny you say this. During last year's challenge I managed to average 10K a day which was my goal. Although I don't think I could a 6min mile if you chased me with a gun;-)

It is a cut back week for me and I am really surly about getting out for the runs. As a consequence, I am going slow. I am skeptical about dropping to 60% of the last week, but I am going to try it. Up to now I have been doing the Hal Higdon schedules and he does not drop that much on his cut back weeks. I have noted a number of real runners here talking about a cardinal sin of running being not running the easy days easy enough and as a consequence not running the hard days hard enough. My goal marathon pace is 8minutes. What do you think of not running any miles that are not faster than 8min/mile or slower than 9min/mile?
Quote Reply

Prev Next