Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dieting gurus: midnight snacking
Quote | Reply
I had a baby 11 weeks ago and I'm watching what I eat and having several small meals a day so I can lose the belly. I wake up with baby 12-1 and 4-5 for breastfeeding and find I am starving at those times. So far I
I've been ignoring the hunger and going back to sleep. Do you think it's better if I eat something or just keep on fasting through the night? If I should eat, what types of foods?

Thanks for any advice!
Quote Reply
Re: Dieting gurus: midnight snacking [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you wake up in the AM and eat more than you would if you had a snack at midnight? Go with fruit. Clementines are in season right now, a couple of those and maybe some almonds.
Quote Reply
Re: Dieting gurus: midnight snacking [PirateGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MM- don't eat more in the morning after not snacking at night, probably because I don't have time to eat more. I will try nuts and fruit, that's a good idea. Part of the reason I don't eat is because it will wake me up more but if I have some nuts nearby then that would be easy.

Thanks for the tip! Anyone else have an opinion?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My little one is now 6 months and in those early days of breastfeeding I was often really hungry at night. I would get up for a snack as the rumbling tummy stopped me from sleeping, I found even just a bite from a granoal bar would often do the trick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sometimes the obvious gets overlooked - veggies never made anyone fat!

a handful of baby carrots would be good, or maybe a few slices of cucumber. could spread the cucumber with cream cheese or dip carrots/cukes in cottage cheese or yogurt if you like, or even stuff some celery with a bit of cream cheese. the 95% fat free philadelphia stuff is tasty but only about 20cal/tbsp.

veggies would trigger less of an insulin response than fruit.

cheers!

-mistress k

Last edited by: mistressk: Dec 30, 09 6:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cottage cheese or plain yogurt. Protein tends to help you sleep well.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because you are breastfeeding, you need more calories than you might think. One of the best pieces of advice I got on this *exact* problem you are describing was from my GP - she suggested I get a case of Boost and chug one after feeding and before going back to bed. It worked wonders. I slept better, my milk production was better, and I still kept losing the weight.

Please please don't ignore your hunger.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Dieting gurus: midnight snacking [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boost... yuck. Well I am done dieting for now. I dieted for a week, lost one pound, and saw my milk supply diminish by the end of the week. Being 37 sucks sometimes! I guess the weight will have to wait!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bingo, it doesn't have to be Boost, it can be whatever works for you that has enough calories and fat (yes fat, deal with it baby!)

Erika, you *will* get thru this. You *will* lose the weight. Don't worry about it now. Trust me. Decreased lactation is far more stressful than having an extra 5-10lbs on yer ass.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't women usually lose weight while breastfeeding anyway?

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: Dieting gurus: midnight snacking [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
don't women usually lose weight while breastfeeding anyway?

Yes, at first, but then most seem to hold on to 10 lbs or so until weaning.

To the OP, I always had a glass of milk in the middle of the night after nursing ~ fluids, calories, and helped me get back to sleep. Nursing made me ravenous! And don't fret about the weight. It all eventually does come off :). I nursed 3 babies, all past 1 year, and all in my 30s, and it all came off when I stopped nursing.
Quote Reply
Re: Dieting gurus: midnight snacking [JayGee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milk is a good choice (as is Boost though Erika said she didn't like it). Calcium is leached from the mom's bones in breastfeeding for the milk; lactating women will suffer a temporary low bone density that's reversed in time after the baby is weaned.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I am done dieting for now

Good! Take care of your little guy and worry about the weight later. You are naturally a thin person, couple that with your driven personality and athleticism and you've totally got it going on. :-) You'll be one of those women that come back faster and stonger post baby!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Erika,

I say eat a snack! Some of my favorite snacks are:

cereal with skim milk
yogurt
fruit
peanut butter with fruit
oatmeal (quaker makes a good one called simple harvest with flax seeds and nuts and all kinds of healthy junk)
nuts or trail mix
cheese quesidilla
good old pb &j
veggies and dip
cheese and crackers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chobani or fage yogurt...good for you and baby
Quote Reply