Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ironman kona
Quote | Reply
I finally watched this year's nbc show on the ironman championships....As usual, I did not like the human interest stories......I did enjoy the pro coverage.... My question to those out there who have done the championships, Did the race change your life? The announcer kept going on and on about how one's life is changed. A life changing event. And if it did, how? Just curious.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman kona [timberdick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>My question to those out there who have done the championships, Did the race change your life? The announcer kept going on and on about how one's life is changed. A life changing event. And if it did, how? Just curious. <<

Very interesting question and I'll have to think about it. But very good question to ponder!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. It was the first IM where I actually wanted to do another. It was a great day and very memorable. But it was not life changing.

Watching some of the individuals racing this year was more life changing than me actually racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have always wondered why people think just because they cross the line at a given race, that all of a sudden doors are going to open for them that were previously closed.

Crossing the line is a great personal achievement, but that's all it is.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
of course, my opinion doesn't count (never having done an IM at all), but i'd say that the training would be more life-changing for most people than the event itself. commitment to a goal, discipline to complete your training sessions even when you just want to roll into bed after a hard day at work, discovering what your body is capable of with breakthrough workouts, and seeing the culmination of months/years worth of effort on race day.

but, the same could be said for someone trying their first super sprint as well, or even working their way through a couch to 5k programme. the event provides a sense of accomplishment, but the life changing lessons happen along the way.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Sounds corny, and not specifically Kona, but my first IM was a big day for me. It was one of the best days of my life. I can think of only a handful that surpass it. It was after that particular day that I knew I wanted to live a life that was more fulfilling and that I was strong enough to do whatever it would take to get there... 2 months later my marriage ended and I began my new life. I don't think I would have had the courage to do what I needed to do if I hadn't completed that first IM; although if I abstract this thought out, perhaps it was the training, the process of getting there, that gave me the self-esteem and confidence I needed....

I would say that day was a discontinuous event that marks a change in my life, yep.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: ironman kona [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have always wondered why people think just because they cross the line at a given race, that all of a sudden doors are going to open for them that were previously closed.

Crossing the line is a great personal achievement, but that's all it is.

I don't think anyone has ever said or even thought that doors will open for them. Mental doors that were self-imposed maybe. And even that isn't everyone. Take 1,500 starters on the line in Kona and you'll probably have 1,500 different stories.

And it's not just crossing the finish line but rather all that leads up to that moment. The finish is like putting an exclamation point on it but the more important part for me was the months before and the process to get there. And sometimes, the real turning point is that moment that starts the entire process. Like sitting in an auditorium where Mike Reilly keeps calling name after name with no response and all of a sudden he's one name from yours and you know that that person isn't there and wouldn't take the slot anyway. The room goes silent and you can barely breathe and KP is leaning forward saying, "You're going" and Nino is sitting next to you shaking his head and laughing and Mike calls your name and all of your friends clap and cheer but you feel like you're in a dream.

Something like that.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Kona twice, but I have to say that it was nowhere near as enjoyable as all the "regular" IM races.
A lot of it is probably because I always arrived at Kona completely depleted - physically, emotionally, financially. One year, it was my 3rd IM race in 7 months, and I qualified a few weeks prior at Canada.
The second time, I had already completed Primal Quest and a number of adventure races that year, so, once again, I was running on fumes.
I keep hoping that I can eventually set myself up to actually "race" Kona, not just finish (which, realistically, would make the difference between me finishing 1200 out of 1700 to maybe 1100 out of 1700...), but it takes a lot to just get to the start line.
I find it is more fun to race with a broader spectrum of athletes. There seem to be a lot of jittery type A folks at Kona. You walk down the streets and realize that it's difficult to tell the men and women apart.
It's definitely a tough race, too. The winds and the heat can really deplete you, and oftentimes, you feel all alone out on the Queen K. The more you suck on the swim, the more you end up facing the winds that grow through the day. And, even if anywhere else you are a pretty "solid athlete" - there, you realize you are almost nothing at all. I think it's good to experience stuff like that. It brings out some personal demons and makes almost everyone humble.
For me, it's more of a cleansing ritual. The real high is just qualifying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife went to Kona and when she got back our mortgage was paid, a million dollars had been deposited in the bank, a new Porsche was in the driveway and we moved into a new mansion. Of course her life had changed now that Kona had made her rich and famous.:-)

It was a great experience, but when it was over she was still married to me, still had to be a teacher and life goes on as normal. She's still the same ol' gal.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman kona [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well i'm personally going to take special pride in dominating many ironman who only cross the line. like trkie clm said, it's the goal and the effort put forth into it and mine is gonna smoke the lot of you alls who only 'cross a line', easy.

i'm actually quite dissapointed in having had read that on slowtwitch but what they hey, my story begs for more of 'that' outcome than many who only just 'cross lines.'

eh.

It's not about the bike, it's just along for the ride.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman kona [roadhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is definately a huge sense of pride and accomplishment, There certainly was for my wife, but the OP asked if the experience was "life changing". Perhaps for some folks it was, but for most life goes on as normal after the event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There is definately a huge sense of pride and accomplishment, There certainly was for my wife, but the OP asked if the experience was "life changing". Perhaps for some folks it was, but for most life goes on as normal after the event.

well i'll be sure and thank my lucky stars that i don't have that 'normal' life to look forward to going back to then. sounds boring and bland and completely superficial and absent of the heart, mind and soul to myself but what do i know, it's not just crossing a line to me. it's knowing that there are people who ONLY go back to their way of life who don't reserve the right to breathe my air in any event and so i'll come and take it from them.

sounds brutal but that's how i see things.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
roadhouse, what is your point? As usual, you're not making a lot of sense. How would finishing Kona really change your life? You won't be a household name and you'd still have the same job to return to and the same bills would still be due the following month. It's an accomplishment and an achievement, but not life changing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
roadhouse, what is your point? As usual, you're not making a lot of sense. How would finishing Kona really change your life? You won't be a household name and you'd still have the same job to return to and the same bills would still be due the following month. It's an accomplishment and an achievement, but not life changing.

that's why i won't consider myself a triathlete, ever. that's my point.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the responses to my question about doing Kona. the question Did doing the ironman championships change your life? I got sick of listening to the sports announcer go on and on about how doing, or finishing the race changes your life forever. I did not really feel that way when I raced there.
It sounds like roadhouse was changed forever. From reading his post, he feels he is the best thing out there for racing kona and sucking the life out of everyone else. I understand some his stuff about boring lifes, but not so much when his or your post turns, "get the fuck out of my way all you losers." I know that is not what you said in writing, but that is how it sounds. You must have some really big balls. I hope you have friends and family around for the holiday season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks for all the responses to my question about doing Kona. the question Did doing the ironman championships change your life? I got sick of listening to the sports announcer go on and on about how doing, or finishing the race changes your life forever. I did not really feel that way when I raced there.
It sounds like roadhouse was changed forever. From reading his post, he feels he is the best thing out there for racing kona and sucking the life out of everyone else. I understand some his stuff about boring lifes, but not so much when his or your post turns, "get the fuck out of my way all you losers." I know that is not what you said in writing, but that is how it sounds. You must have some really big balls. I hope you have friends and family around for the holiday season.

i'm interested in Kona about as much as i care for what is the known triathlete. it's nonexistant.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, now that Lance is involved i'm interested in Kona and i'll be straight, i didn't even notice that the thread was about Kona in the first place and i took off about the distance and the agony and the triumph of an Ironman so my fault with that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It sounds like roadhouse was changed forever. From reading his post, he feels he is the best thing out there for racing kona and sucking the life out of everyone else. I understand some his stuff about boring lifes, but not so much when his or your post turns, "get the fuck out of my way all you losers." I know that is not what you said in writing, but that is how it sounds. You must have some really big balls.

the size of Texas.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does that mean you are from Texas. I could have guessed...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done 16 IM's and multiple other races around the world, NO IT DID NOT CHANGE MY LIFE!!! like they are trying to sell it to the public.
I grew up eating healthy and participating in sports and the outdoors and had a great catholic school and public school education.

This changing of life experience, I only achieved doing mushrooms, peyote and LSD in the late 60's and going to Greatful Dead concerts.

enjoy the journey and make sure you have no regrets

Merry Christmas to all!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: ironman kona [HiKai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"This changing of life experience, I only achieved doing mushrooms, peyote and LSD in the late 60's and going to Greatful Dead concerts."

LOL!! We must be about the same age, but you've done 16 more IM's than me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Does that mean you are from Texas. I could have guessed...

don't make me put them on your forehead therefore crushing your skull.. ;)

Quote Reply