Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Embarrassing question....
Quote | Reply
So, prior to last month I hadn't had a period for over 3 years, likely due to low body weight +training. Before that I was on the pilll so I don't know if I would have been "regular" without it.
Anyway, I had an injury, couldn't run much, and for whatever reason gained some weight (maybe 10 pounds? I'm afraid to get on the scale...). I got a period last month and due to the cramps think it will probably happen again. I have issues with this because 1) I have some eating/body issues and in my mind this is just objective evidence that I'm getting "fat," but 2) the bigger problem right now is that I have been breaking out BAD. I have acne on my face/neck/chest/back... I've always broken out a bit but NEVER this badly. I can only assume it's due to the hormonal flux but I'm not entirely sure of what to do to get rid of it, short of going on the pill, which I'd rather not do, or shocking my body back into pre-pubescence by losing the weight.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Does the acne get better after a few cycles?

Thanks.

Last edited by: lalady: Dec 17, 09 14:21
Quote Reply
Re: Embarrassing question.... [lalady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you need to see your physician to discuss both issues. If you don't have a good relationship with a doc then ask around and find one. My doc is a triathlete and has given me lots of great advice over the years. I wish you the best and hope that you get your body image issues under control. It sounds like you need to start taking a longer term view of your health.

Keep posting, I know there are other women who can assist you.
Quote Reply
Re: Embarrassing question.... [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good advice Erika.

OP: you need to think less about your acne (heck I'm 37yo and I have it - you'll learn to manage it to minimize it) and more about the other issue(s) you list.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I totally hear where you are coming from. I don't get my period for the same reason, and I know, twisted as it sounds, that it'd interpret getting it as a sign that i'm either not training enough, or am not lean enough. I'm working on it, and you should as well.

As great as not menstruating is, its really, really bad for your bones, so keep that in mind.

As for the acne, i've both been on the pill and off the pill and i get it on my face, neck, back chest etc too. It really sucks but its usually not nearly as bad as you think it is (meaning other people will never notice it as much as you do) and just do you best to treat it with topical stuff.

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Re: Embarrassing question.... [flyer521] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input all---
I DO realize that the bigger picture does not include the acne; it's just really frustrating to have to deal with it on top of having to suck it up and realize that i have a normal body fat %age at this time....
Yes, and I know the bone thing--- I've probably read every paper on the topic.
Thanks again for the input and support.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't got mine in two years, am going to the GYN next month to discuss (Not because I'm alarmed by the lack of it (although my husband is), it has more to do with the fact that I should bear a child some day in the near future). Reasons are the same that everyone else mentioned: low body weight and excessive training. So don't feel like you are alone.

As for the acne issue, haven't had anything outside of the norm there but I do use really good facial products - mostly products from Origins. I use a scrub in the morning and a more gentle cleanser at night.
Last edited by: i-tri: Dec 29, 09 5:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It took awhile for my face to clear up from when I went from underweight to healthy.

Nice skin is an "accessory" and your body really has to know somehow that your body fat is OK and will be OK for awhile before it starts to do those nice things like make your skin + hair pretty etc.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WOW. This hit home as I went to the doctor for this issue last month. I went to the Gyno because I go up and down in weight, have a lot of muscle mass, have super irregular periods, and have been amenorrhea on/off for at least 5 years. I'm 30 years old, 5'6 145= size 4/6. If I go under 138ish-- it's an automatic skipped period month. I also talked to the Gyno about not having a sex drive at all, and she told me that women who are more muscular and heavy into training may not have one. She did all kinds of labs, and everything came back normal...She told me that when my husband and I want to start trying for a baby-- that I should NOT workout for more then 30 minutes a day. :-(

I think at that point I will freak because I "normally" workout/train 1.5-2.5 hours a day.

As far as the acne, it could be the just the stressors of everything. I use the most gentle face wash I can find: Cetiphile (spelling?)

Good Luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Embarrassing question.... [NYJan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jan, I had irregular periods and what it took for me was to gain some weight. I still exercised but carried 10-15 pounds more than what I typically weighed. My periods became regular once I had some fat. Just my experience. The last time I looked into the research, the line of thinking was that lack of calories caused the issues with periods, not exercise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some of you ladies need to google "female athete triad" and do some serious research. There's a lot of info available.

This is a syndrome about about eating disorders, amenorrhea and eventual osteoporosis in female athletes. This is very serious stuff and seemingly more common than we want to admit.
Quote Reply
Re: Embarrassing question.... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. I had never heard of that [insert.sarcasm.here.]. Thanks for the input, but.... disordered doesn't necessarily mean stupid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rather than snap at someone trying to help, I'd applaud him (HIM!) for being aware of a serious health issue that affects female athletes.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow great attitude. you asked for opinions and feedback and this poster was trying to give you some. just cuz it ain't what you want to hear doesn't mean you need to get all nasty about it.

sheesh.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Embarrassing question.... [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. I actually never knew what this was --"female athete triad" until I googled it.
Quote Reply
Re: Embarrassing question.... [NYJan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for highlighting the triad condition, I never heard of it until I googled it. Unfortunately, after reading a few blurbs on this condition, I don't think it sheds new light on the problem(s) stated in this blog. The assumption with the triad condition is that all three symptoms are present.

My problem is that I'm in the female weight minority (I'm sure this is the case of the original writer of this blog) - small frame, short and low body weight. So, when I train for races in the summer using a more rigid schedule - I can't keep the weight on, no matter how much I eat. In the winter, when the training is a little less intense, my weight (while slightly increasing) doesn't fluctuate enough to regulate the body. Training for IM Moo this summer, our plan included a presentation on how to train AND lose weight - I laughed, where's the part about how to train at such a high intensity, not lose too much weight and still eat healthy.

So, we stand at a crossroad with the only solutions offered to us ladies are associated with medical conditions (especially eating disorders).

Sincerely,
lady sitting at desk sipping coffee and eating a cookie : )
Quote Reply
Re: Embarrassing question.... [i-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The ACSM's position statement on the female athlete triad actually has it as a continuum now where you can have some but not all symptoms.

I posted a link to it in here awhile ago.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The last time I looked into the research, the line of thinking was that lack of calories caused the issues with periods, not exercise.

I've been dealing with this issue for a while now, with the help of a reproductive endocrinologist. Based on the reading I've done and what I've learned from him, it is a combination of both caloric deficit AND the stress from exercise. Your hormones respond to the stress of physical training, not just the lack of body fat.

The the earlier poster who mentioned trying to conceive - my dr gave me similar recommendations - max 2 hours of exercise per week, and gain 5-10 lbs.
Quote Reply
Re: Embarrassing question.... [scrumhalfgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting! And unfair! I heard about a woman getting pregnant right after racing Kona one year. Some women can do it, and some women can't. If you are trying to get pregnant, you have to decide what is most important to you. I put my endurance life on hold for over 2 years, it sucked and I struggled with it, but in the end it was worth it because now we have an adorable baby boy. I also started my pregnancy 15 pounds over my normal weight so I have extra extra post baby weight. Still worth it though. I do want to cry when I see old photos of myself but someday, I'll get there.

Bottom line on all of this is that exercise is a high priority for all of us but it isn't the only priority.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Erika. It took me a little while to get there, but I've accepted it. I had to stop comparing myself to friends and training partners who could train a great deal, and not have the side effects I was. I've learned to embrace walking and yoga, and ice cream after dinner (doctor's orders!). I'm hopeful that eventually it will pay off.

Jesse
Quote Reply
Re: Embarrassing question.... [scrumhalfgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jesse, I know what you are going through and it isn't easy. I wish you the best and hope things work out for you very soon. It is more likely that you will get pregnant. For what it's worth, I got pregnant using Clomid and artificial insemination which are 2 fairly low tech but somewhat effective ways to get pregnant. Good luck and keep at it!
Quote Reply
Re: Embarrassing question.... [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"'Rather than snap at someone trying to help, I'd applaud him (HIM!) for being aware of a serious health issue that affects female athletes. "

Appreciate the support TC et al. I'm sure a lot of young women athletes are not even aware of this condition and others are in denial. I first saw this syndrome first hand twenty-five years ago in an aerobics instructor that was totally obsessed about her work outs and weight. It may not have even been a recognized diagnosis back then.

It's not the first time I've been slammed on "the womens" for suggesting something relevant to women, but it won't stop me for continuing to post here if it is relevant to women's health. Hey, some of us males do have wives and daughters. We're not always the enemy:-)
Last edited by: cerveloguy: Jan 5, 10 18:43
Quote Reply
Re: Embarrassing question.... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question! Thanks for all of the feedback on this post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, to summarize

1. go see an MD/endocrinologist
2. acne is really not your biggest problem right now (might be the most frustrating one, but not the main one)
3. don't snap at people trying to help ;-)

4. eat chocolate. It will not help acne and body weight, but it tastes really good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar issue. 3 years amenorrhea resulting from overtraining and (I think) life stress. I guess all the stress my body was under from ironmans and a crappy relationship was what caused it. Sooooo....I made some life changes that drastically improved my sanity and anxiety. And I eased up on the training. I had a really hard time with the 10 lbs I gained back. I was way too skinny at one point and I am still thin but it was very hard to adapt my eating habits and mental issues with "not being super skinny". Hard to explain.

I also broke out horribly when my period came back. I really feel your pain. No matter what face wash, cream, topical solution (even tried prescription), it didn't help. I finally went back on the pill and it cleared up completely. Sorry, it's probably not what you want to hear :( Personally, I think it's ridiculous that we can cure Erectile Dysfunction but adults still have to live with acne. Ugh.

I haven't read all the other posts, but I guess you know the eating issues come first. And if you have a good dermatologist I think he/she can help you with the acne part.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also struggle with keeping the weight on but I am fortunate (or unfortunate) enough to still get my monthly visitor.

What I really wanted to address was the acne problem. I broke out very, very badly at the end of my 2009 season. Not sure that training volume was the cause, but I did notice it seemed to get worse as I peaked for my final 70.3 of the year.

My doctor put me on a combination of spirnolactone (oral) and a topical treatment called Duac Gel. It has done WONDERS!! I have never had such clear skin in my whole life! I'm have no medical background, but the spirno does back the amount of testostorne hormone that is released in the body which causes the acne on the jaw line, neck, chest and back. A lot of my female tri and cycling friends are on it as well. However, I heard a rumor that is on the "banned substances" list. It's the off season and I'm not racing elite or pro. I haven't noticed any significant impact on my training other than it is a diretic so you have to be sure to drink even more fluids while taking it.

Hope that helps at least the acne issue!
Quote Reply