Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Womens - Tri Shorts & Top Recomendations Plz
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to get my wife new tri shorts and top for Christmas. I was hoping to get ideas for the ladies of SL.

I'm looking for good quality and good looking. She likes the 6 to 8 in length in shorts. Since she is training for longer races now (max distance right now is HIM) I would like to get shorts she would not have issue with on longer rides. Bring a guy I have to assume what works for me in good shorts and tops may not translate to her build or needs.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Womens - Tri Shorts & Top Recomendations Plz [NegSplit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the board favorite here is De Soto. The Forza tri shorts and top (not a bra, but a tri top with a couple pockets in the back). I wear those tri shorts for all my rides and use the top for my longer races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear the desoto 400mile shorts for every race, and every training ride on my tribike. And one of the desoto tri tops with pockets for races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for DeSoto.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the deSoto tops but actually don't like their shorts (it's my massive thighs lol). I LOVE the Sugoi tri shorts. I have a pair that I have used for 6 seasons - and are super comfy. I can wear them for longer rides as well, I've worn them for two IMs now and a lot of halfs...

Good luck!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Womens - Tri Shorts & Top Recomendations Plz [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You probably bought the Sugoi shorts before the decline in quality. Apparently it's better now but there was a ~2y window where everything I bought from Sugoi fell apart - capris, a jacket, tri shorts and bike shorts. All were the correct size and only washed in cold and hung to dry. It's a shame, because their stuff if nice and seems to be solid. Most were due to low quality thread that results in seams coming apart. I *think* that QA/QC has improved since then, however. I still feel pretty burned and am reluctant to buy their product.

To the OP: I wouldn't suggest shorts as a gift. It's really something that she is going to need to look into herself. :( I literally have a drawer full of tri shorts [Craft, Zoot, Pearl Izumi, Oomph!, Sugoi (4pr) and 2XU]. None are perfect and I'm still searching for the right pair. The Zoot pair is almost right, but the seam is a little thick in one spot and bothers me on longer rides. The 2XU are good but the dye in my bike seat has changed the colour of the fabric slightly.

Go with a cute top instead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like Sugoi too, I haven't had any quality issues. DeSoto is fine, but they definitely need to carry smaller sizes since their small is almost too big on me and the only have S, M, L. They also come up SUPER high in the waist which I don't love.

I agree shorts are a very hard thing to buy, but it's no easier to tell if they work just trying on in the store (you have to ride in them, making returns useless) so might as well be able to try a pair or 2 for free!
Quote Reply
Re: Womens - Tri Shorts & Top Recomendations Plz [banana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes there was a bad spell, but the latest stuff I've bought is holding up very well... I'd still go to Sugoi first for trishorts, then maybe Zoot or Oomph. Just don't like the bottom seam on the deSoto shorts. But again, I have pretty chunky legs ;-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Sugoi shorts (black) make my crack visible in bright sunlight - No Thanks!

I love the feel of my De Soto Carrera tri shorts. Without leg grippers, they ride up my legs and cause major soft tissue damage when the fabric gathers up at my saddle touch points. Anyone figured out how to ADD leg grippers to a pair of De Sotos? I'm not sure if I have S or XS, so I may give the XS a chance if I have S now.

What about a recommendation for a brand/model with a similar feel to De Soto, but with leg grippers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm...You're in South Carolina? Probably some very hot-weather races and training rides...so I would go with the De Soto forza top, which is made of great skin-cooling material. Get it in white (but she should also wear another tri-bra under that, to avoid, uh, the 'headlights' phenomenon). I have stayed cool in 90-degree races, in that top. Also, it is plenty long in back (won't cause sunburn in the lower back area) and it's flattering.

I have my fav tri shorts too, but agree with another poster here that they might not make a great present, just because they are so hard to fit. And some people like thicker pads, others like thinner...
Quote Reply
Re: Womens - Tri Shorts & Top Recomendations Plz [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question.. thanks for recommendations!
Quote Reply
Re: Womens - Tri Shorts & Top Recomendations Plz [txgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i ahve a somewhat similar problem with a pair of the '08 carrera low rise shorts. it's not fabric bunching, though - it's the placement of the seams that attach the narrowest part of the pad to the shorts. with the cobb v-flow max, they sit exactly where my main contact points are.

from browsing through de soto's site, it looks like the '09 and '10 carrera shorts have a different pad shape, but the forza shorts appear to be the same as what i've got. can anyone confirm or deny before i spend any more money on shorts that only work for running and mountain biking?

for reference, these are the ones i have:

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
De Soto carries XS in the Carrera tri short and Carrera tri short low-rise, I like the low-rise because I too prefer to have a lower waist. Also- if you like lower rise, you must try the Micro Tri Shorts because they are even lower than the Low-Rise Carrera Tri Short and they are amazingly comfortable even in a HIM race. I use them and love them! Although they only come in S, M, & L- the S is closer to an XS (like I wear in the Carrera.)

Tracy M. De Soto
Femme Designer/CFO/Attorney
De Soto Sport
Quote Reply
Re: Womens - Tri Shorts & Top Recomendations Plz [txgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would definitely try the De Soto Carrera Tri Shorts in XS as mine don't ride up at all... I haven't found a short that has as great of a feel as De Soto. Also- if you like a shorter length that definitely won't ride up, try the Micro Tri Short. They don't come in XS but the S is closer to an XS IMO.

Tracy M. De Soto
De Soto Sport
Quote Reply
Re: Womens - Tri Shorts & Top Recomendations Plz [sdtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Turns out I did have a the Small De Soto's. I've ordered the XS and will give them another shot. Thanks for the tip!
Quote Reply
Re: Womens - Tri Shorts & Top Recomendations Plz [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're correct- In 2009- De Soto put their original pad back in the Carerra tri short (the same as was in the Micro Tri Short) and no longer has the invisipad. However, the Forza tri short still has an invisipad but because the fabric is different, the invisipad seems fine and there are not the same problems as with the Carerra.

However, if you're having problems with the Invisipad, stick w/ the Carerra. I love those.

Tracy M. De Soto
De Soto Sport
Quote Reply
Re: Womens - Tri Shorts & Top Recomendations Plz [sdtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks, appreciate it! :)

cheers!

-mistress k