Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yesterday I did a 85 min 1000 Kjoule CT ride. Today was 70 min 10x~3 min interval ride (CT Course intervals at 250-340W), averaging 233W (3.7W per kg) for the middle 50 minutes (includes rest interval). Got 900 KJ worth of work done in todays ride with warmup and cooldown (so approximately half of a half ironman bike effort) .

Since IM France is 4 weeks earlier than IMLP, and I have to race Desertdude at Wildflower in May, my plan is to keep working the bike through the winter. Frankly my running does not have that much upside in half Ironmans. My half IM's at the end of the year were 1:26 and 1:28. I'm not going to shave 5 minutes off those times, but I believe I can take 5 minutes off my half IM bike times compared to last year. My target is 800K over the 100 days. 10 down 790 to go :-) But you're right, that marathon on the promenade des Anglais will kill me if I don't do the run work now, so the work will happen. I'll run later today....currently minus 19 but brilliant sunshine!

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [madfuzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Where do folks find the greatest risks of running injury? Is it during competitions (I've only entered one race), or training? Is it with greater speed or distance, or is it usually due to "other" distractions ... for example: I ran into a chain strung across the entrance to a field at the end of road in the dark a couple of weeks ago ... it lifted me 3ft in the air and dumped me back on my feet ... winded me, but a slow jog home eased the lungs and aside from some small bruising around the rib cage I suffered no serious side effects. The cause was simply not paying attention. I run that route every day, so I know the chain is there! But in the dark, thinking of the words to my next sea shanty ...

Steve

The 1 or 2 days after a very hard running effort are the days which seem to present the biggest injury danger for me. It seems to be the time in which I am most susceptible to injury, You do a hard run, hard track workout or a race and it goes well. You feel like a million bucks. Even the next day you feel good. Tired maybe but tood. So maybe you don't run so easy on that easy day. Maybe the same thing the next day. Then you wake up and, "ouch", there's a minor pain in your achilles. Oh well, no problem. Just run through it. Then the next day, "ouch" again. Only it's a little worse. On and on. Now a day or two off doesn't seem to help. But you don't want to take longer than that. It gets worse and worse.

Also, on a longer run, the last 5 miles are another big danger or injury. Only you don't notice it then. You notice it the next day or two. You are tired. Your form might suffer a little without you even realizing it. But it's enough to start that same "ouch" cycle of a minor injury becoming a chronic one I just described.

The more mileage you do, the more letting your body go easy on easy days and take its sweet time to warm up become important.
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I ran this morning in Ottawa and it was -30'C with the windchill. Not that fun to start but loved it once the body started up as it was nice and sunny. Run home promises to be a little nicer - around 16'C - not including windchill! Oh the Canadian winter...
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I don't know about you guys, but those seven miles I ran in the last two days just wore me right out. Also, it's cold out. So I'm taking a rest day.

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [xraycharlie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50 min at lunch today nice and steady, just feeling the aerobic points racking up. Even though it's overcast, it's still warm enough here to run without a shirt. I love soaking up sunlight, especially in winter.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [xraycharlie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wuss.

I'm actually on day 17 of a running streak. I'm headed back into the woods tonight. I'm sure it will be pouring rain and cold but it beats the treadmill. I did watch Julie/Julia last night while running my 50 minutes so it wasn't too bad.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [bryan913] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tninking about the half put on by cgi at Rutgers campus and I am torn between the NJ state half and devilman half lite. Think the NJ state half is a week before or day before. Which one is the LBH is it Long branch ? and the date? Could be doable as I want to try to qualify for NYC and that is flat and fast on a windless day. So far I have only signed up for Philly oly distance tri and the NYC oly distance tri. Will definetly be doing NJ state tri spriny also. Want to nail down under 1hr 1min before moving to the oly there. Dont ask me why ,IDK... Also will do Hightstown sprint I have to defend my Ag win. LOL thinking also about the new sycuase half or rev in sandusky ohio. Depends if I can talk the wife into it. These tri's are starting to get exspensive on a firfighters salary. not to mention the 100.00 shoes I am going through every month to month in a half.

Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bottomfeeder.....Minus 18C for my run today...I get zero Vitamin D from the sun as there is about 10 square inches of skin exposed when bundled up for this. Definitely taking a Vitamin D supplement this winter. Any guys out there with recommendations? ..... (and please, no BALCO magic cream jokes :-) )
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't milk have Vitamin D?
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snuck out of the office at 3:45 to get an easy 30 minutes in....off to my christmas party. 30 minutes tomorrow might be a bit more difficult.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take 2000 milligrams a day. Dr said I have very low Vitamin D. I really notice the difference in my focus and energy when I take it.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: JenHS: Dec 17, 09 15:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rest day canceled due to temporary insanity. Will tentatively attempt to reschedule for sometime late March.

Short headlamp run after work. Wind chill of -6*F. (-21*C, for the metric types.)

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Rest day canceled due to temporary insanity. Will tentatively attempt to reschedule for sometime late March.

Short headlamp run after work. Wind chill of -6*F. (-21*C, for the metric types.)

Well done. Way to man up!

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did scheduled "recovery" run at High school track while son was at rastling practice. 4.30 miles at about a 830 minute pace. Boring as hell but done anyway. Going to be hard to get second run in 2morrow as I work nites. But where there is a type "A" there is a way :) Who is this plumb guy anyway that is making me look like a slouch. It was Plumb in the lavender room with a disc cover ?

Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't use no disk covers. And I think I have only posted once in the Lavender Room. But I have been on here since the beginning.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have used from conception myself but anyway. I am just having fun Mike. I know i am in over my head with gents of your caliber and its only a matter of time till I am swallowed up but i will not go with out a fight. LOL :) By the way have you ever played Clue ?

Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am so good at Clue that they named a character in the game after me ;-)

Last edited by: Mike Plumb: Dec 17, 09 17:47
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is pretty well as much "day 1" as you can get around the ST forum.

Mike Plumb Status: Registered User Registered: Dec 18, 02 21:11 Last Logon: Dec 17, 09 16:59 Posts: 3080 (1.2 per day) Real Name: Mike Plumb Location: Carlsbad, CA Local Time: Dec 17, 09 17:35 Occupation: Multisport Coach Interests: multisports, golf, skiing Homepage: http://www.tripower.org

Slowman's first generation of the website was called triathlonlive.com and then it morphed into Slowtwitch sometime after the Sydney Olympics. I kept reading the articles on the front page that were actually much more frequent than they are today....then several months later, I believe the forum appeared. Anyway, way back when, Slowman created a ton of content himself and through a number of his writers.

Now the content on the main page is less dynamic, but the forum is infintely dynamic. It would be interesting to see where the traffic is (front page of forum), cause if forum has more traffic, then slowman is indeed a genius, cause he's having all of us wankers create constant new content for him for free!!!!
:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
actually the forum had been up for about 4 days before I officially registered on it. But Dan and I were already friends long before the forum and even Slowtwitch had even existed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i haven't been timing myself and don't know the mileage but yesterday i'd guess about ten miles all around and back and around again to more back tracking around flooded streets and paths throughout bear creek park/eldridge/patterson/clay/hwy 6 and today a few miles around the block, maybe four miles.

It's not about the bike, it's just along for the ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Mike I hope I can hang with you for a while in this challenge. I guess only time will tell, E ither way I have a game plan and I am sticking to it. It is a honor to be up there with such distinguished (competent) runners like yourself , Dev, JoeO and othrs.I could not hold a birthday candle to you guys Now no more ass kissing from me and on with the thouroghly planned and trained for non-injury running fun. woo ........hope that last part made Dev feel better :) He has counseled me ( in a good way. ) a few times already with my newbish questions the past year and a half.

Quote | Reply
Dev, I'd say go to a tanning salon maybe once a week for 10-15 minutes. But do some research first - I have no idea how potentially harmful such exposure can be.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done a whopping 2 runs covering 22 K. I don't think I am a threat to anyone in this challenge as I'll only do ~800K if all goes well over 70-80 runs. My eyes are set on not getting my ass handed to me by Desertdude at Wildflower, so I will be riding more (as well as XC skiing my usual amount) this winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hay easy up on us old guys Mike (-:
have a great Christmas to
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev - this is irritating the hell out of me. The subject of this thread is wrong:

We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge

Should be

We're ON 100 Runs in 100 Days Challenge

I know it is petty but can you fx it?

Jen

Quote Reply

Prev Next