Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Specialized Transition and Di2
Quote | Reply
Any tried or know of someone who put Di2 on a specialized transition? How hard was it run the cables internally?

etc,etc.

thanks,

CT
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition and Di2 [CT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't seen a Transition yet, but here is an article about a P4. Good Luck.

http://velocitynation.com/...2-liveblogging-build
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the looks of how sloppy the P4 was- I would only run DI2 on a bike made specifically for DI2
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition and Di2 [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specialized was working on it a while back you might want to call them and talk to them about it. I had the same question and they were unable to answer it at the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Any tried or know of someone who put Di2 on a specialized transition? How hard was it run the cables internally?

etc,etc.

thanks,

CT

I will ask. Keep in mind that the Transition came out long before Di2. The SL3 is the first Specialized bike to have a Di2 specific sub-model. But I will inquire about what sort of experiences, if any, the Specialized folks have had with Di2.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition and Di2 [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
From the looks of how sloppy the P4 was- I would only run DI2 on a bike made specifically for DI2

We've been shipping the Z2 and F2 now to dealers and consumers already have them on the road. It only took a couple small cable guides and new chainstay mounted battery to get the bike updated from its original design.

Di2 specifc could mean non-mechanical shifting compatible in some cases. I don't think that is the right move either.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition and Di2 [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow. I hope the guy that gets that bike is fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its cool and all, but yeah if that's as clean as it gets, looks sloppy to me:

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

etc,etc.

thanks,

CT

Okay, I spoke with the engineering time at Specialized. It's been done by a couple people, but mostly with external wiring. The Di2 connectors do not fit through the holes on the frame. The guys at Toga bikes did an internal job, but that required some cutting/splicing, which is not that hard, but you have to be willing to take that risk and maybe buy a new set of wires and also know that you are riding on something YOU put together (sort of). Let me know if you have other questions.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition and Di2 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Rappstar,

Any updates on this old response about Di2 running through the Transition?

I have the same 2010 SWorks Transition you had (the Red/White/Black one - still the sexiest one I think!) and want to upgrade to Ultegra Di2 10 or 11 speed.

Have you heard what the most aero way is to run the cables and battery on this model Transition?

Don't really want to run them externally and ruin an otherwise beautiful frame.

Thanks,

Dr Freddie So
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition and Di2 [freddieso] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cutting and splicing the wires is about the only way to make an internal install work. There's some good info in the transition mafia thread.

Mounting the battery is another hurdle.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition and Di2 [davearm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could try contacting Calfee - they did a Di2 retrofit on my nosecone Shiv. The retrofit not only gets you internal routing, but two additional cool features:

- they fill in all the holes, etc, that are on the frame for mechanical cable guides
- the install their own longer-life battery in the seatpost, so no one can even tell where the battery is

Best bike I have ever owned!
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition and Di2 [freddieso] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reviving this thread. I've managed to run a single e-tube wire internally through the rear brake cable hole in the top tube. I'm going to run everything else externally with zip ties but this seems to be a pretty aero solution. Battery is hiding right behind the downtube bottle. Overall this seems to be a pretty decent solution with the other e-tube wires zip tied down. I'll be completing the build on Monday one my longer 950mm wire shows up.

My goal is to run the brake cable through the SRM hole in the top tube but I'm not sure if brake cable housing fits in there.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition and Di2 [soobrex1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure the e-tube cable will go to rear mech to the toptube internally, would need one of the 1400mm ones,tried it on a shiv tt and went through that as well,it also goes down the front mech hole on shiv but needs the cable stop drilled out on a transition,
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition and Di2 [neilridley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't get any of the e-tube wires down the SRM or FD/RD holes (pages 3 of http://vid.artscyclery.com/...ransition%202012.pdf).

I'm not really into drilling those out. Once it comes in the mail, I'll have a 950mm e-tube wire going through the downtube and coming out by the rear brake, effectively hiding it from the wind. I can look at removing the metal guide on the bottom and getting the rear junction box inside the frame, otherwise I'm pretty happy with what I have in the works. Pictures should be up next week.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition and Di2 [soobrex1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any update on this thread as it's been a few years.
I've currently got a project being built by spesh..an ex pro transition that I want to run 9070 Di2 on. Initially it looked all good but now it appears some wires may need running externally even though there's a good you tube vid describing how it can be done through 'drilling and splicing.
Any pics would help
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition and Di2 [Martfarg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This might be too late for you, but I just Di2-yfied my Transition.

With a bit of patience you can hide the battery in the down-tube by sliding it in there through the head-tube. Apart from the 2 mechs, I only have on cable exiting the frame now and that connects into the junction box under the BTA-mount. it is the only cable visible to the wind.

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition and Di2 [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have a picture of the setup? I recently snapped a couple of bolts that hold the aero bars in place (thats what you get for being lazy when it comes to cleaning a trainer bike) and am left with the decision of whether I toy around with the front end or just buy a new bike. Re-cabeling the bike has always proved a massive headache as the internal guides don't seem to run right so Di2 or not I will probably have the bike in pieces trying to fish the cable through.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition and Di2 [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sure, here come the pictures:

Drilled the FD cable exit.
That area is metal, so no issue (very carefully) drilling it i suppose.
(I put the old shift cable back in as a guide but didn't need it later)

Cut the internal cable guides from FD and RD as close to the exit point as possible. Be careful to leave rear brake guide unharmed
Since those cable guides are too small for the Di2-plugs, you'll have to cut them off and re-solder them.
I also completely removed the (unused) 4th cable guide (SRM)

Connect 2 cables from FD and RD with battery (with small junction box SMJC41)
Slide battery down into the down-tube. For me there was a natural point where it "got stuck", but i also added that green wire so that i could pull it out by that if ever needed.
Get the rest of the cables and the small junction-box into a compact package (without bending any cables beyond reason) and stuff it in there.
Also: I filled the unused ports with silicone to minimize water ingress (only had white! Will cover with tape later)

Make sure the cables are not interfering with where your steering tube is going to go.
If you are super paranoid like me: fit some plastic sheet (i used part of a joghurt jar) in there to close off your custom cable-compartment:

I have to say this was a very satisfying project and i keep putting off buying a new bike by upgrading this classic a bit every year.
Very sustainable and makes you really appreciate your bike so much more if you spend the time with these little upgrade projects...

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Last edited by: flogazo: Dec 1, 20 14:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
flogazo wrote:
sure, here come the pictures:

Drilled the FD cable exit.
That area is metal, so no issue (very carefully) drilling it i suppose.
(I put the old shift cable back in as a guide but didn't need it later)

Cut the internal cable guides from FD and RD as close to the exit point as possible. Be careful to leave rear brake guide unharmed
Since those cable guides are too small for the Di2-plugs, you'll have to cut them off and re-solder them.
I also completely removed the (unused) 4th cable guide (SRM)

Connect 2 cables from FD and RD with battery (with small junction box SMJC41)
Slide battery down into the down-tube. For me there was a natural point where it "got stuck", but i also added that green wire so that i could pull it out by that if ever needed.
Get the rest of the cables and the small junction-box into a compact package (without bending any cables beyond reason) and stuff it in there.
Also: I filled the unused ports with silicone to minimize water ingress (only had white! Will cover with tape later)

Make sure the cables are not interfering with where your steering tube is going to go.
If you are super paranoid like me: fit some plastic sheet (i used part of a joghurt jar) in there to close off your custom cable-compartment:

I have to say this was a very satisfying project and i keep putting off buying a new bike by upgrading this classic a bit every year.
Very sustainable and makes you really appreciate your bike so much more if you spend the time with these little upgrade projects...

Thanks for posting this, was wondering if it was possible with a transition. Bikes are pretty old now (started in 08) and most people move on from them. I had one years ago and loved it. Interested in getting another (size Medium!) and giving it a go.

Can you post finished pics of bike for us?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice! :)

BetterShifting.com - Di2 help and guides| BetterShifting Instagram | Terry's Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition and Di2 [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
Can you post finished pics of bike for us?!

now, you have me putting on race-wheels in winter...
here you go:

The wire from frame to junction box is just fastened to the brake cable housing with a little electrical tape and to the arm-pads with an elastic band, so that i can quickly detach it. To me that's one of the beauties of Di2. I can pretty much detach my handlebar from the frame for traveling. (front tri-rig brake just pops out, only thing left attached is rear brake cable)

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Junction box not entirely out of the wind, but worked out easiest with the cabling.
I wonder if this is too exposed a location in terms of spray from the front wheel. Maybe cover it for wet races?

Since I already had the 3-port Junction box, I used two of those Y-Wires to connect brake-lever-shifter and extension-shifter to it with just one wire.

Always wondered what people put in those huge internal storage boxes nowadays.
All the stuff i need fits under/behind my saddle. The thing in the bottlecage is just some extra for training rides.

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Last edited by: flogazo: Dec 2, 20 2:06
Quote Reply

Prev Next