Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With Boston and Triple-T Ohio looming, it's the kick in the pants I need to get it going again. Me and my dog are in!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for a strange reason it reminds me of the joke:
if you drive in pitch balck road and see two lights coming in front of you how do you know if it's two motorcycles or a truck?
Answer: you just keep driving. If you passed by the 2lights then it's two motorcycles. But what if I don't pass by??? Then it's a truck!

Thank god for this challenge. I will try not to imploy this mentality on the challenge this year and stay injury free.
GS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in! 14 hours to the first run!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on board. Shooting for a solid silver, around 85/100, but the occasional 2x a day should get me closer to gold.

Is it safe to assume that showshoeing qualifies under the prescribed rules, namely both feet off the ground at all times?
At least 2/3 of my 1-hour loop is flat singletrack - great for opening up, and a hell of a lot better than the dreadmill.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [bpcbuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I suggest is this: talk to Rappstar, and tell him that it's not 0 or 1. It's not, you did a run, or you didn't if you run 29.30...Tell him there are degrees of having done the run.
From 30 and on, it's 1.
29, maybe it's .95...
In other words decide why your membership function is...then you implement it, write a little piece of code and a nice GUI, that way when someone ran 25, he/she can select 'I did a something that was nearly a run'...
Of course, you have to set a cut off somehwere...maybe 15min...but then someone will come and say 'hey that's stupid, I ran 14.30, it should be a .01 run'...so you can now implement a 2nd order fuzzy set approach (you have fuzziness on the bounds)...

Deal?

Dev is doing this for fun...if you ran 28min, just say you ran 30min and the problem is fixed.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What I suggest is this: talk to Rappstar, and tell him that it's not 0 or 1. It's not, you did a run, or you didn't if you run 29.30...Tell him there are degrees of having done the run.
From 30 and on, it's 1.
29, maybe it's .95...
In other words decide why your membership function is...then you implement it, write a little piece of code and a nice GUI, that way when someone ran 25, he/she can select 'I did a something that was nearly a run'...
Of course, you have to set a cut off somehwere...maybe 15min...but then someone will come and say 'hey that's stupid, I ran 14.30, it should be a .01 run'...so you can now implement a 2nd order fuzzy set approach (you have fuzziness on the bounds)...

Deal?

Hold on...is this a serious suggestion? Why does a simple, straightforward challenge have to turn into complicated GUI implementation and code development just because someone can't/doesn't want to follow the parameters?

You wanna participate in the challenge? Great, then run 30+ minutes for all your runs. You can't do that? Fine, then work toward that as a goal this year and participate next year.

In Reply To:
Dev is doing this for fun...if you ran 28min, just say you ran 30min and the problem is fixed.

No, if you ran 28 minutes then why the hell didn't you run 2 more minutes? Seriously, this thing is not complicated: 30+ minutes? Log it. Less than 30, but paired with another <30 run? log it. Less than 30 by itself? Don't log it. Done.

If this was a sarcastic post then I apologize, but stuff like this pisses me off. Why make Rappstar/Dev/whoever bend over backwards to cater to people who can't make the distances? Not every challenge--on this board and in general--is going to cater to everyone, if you can't do it then work toward it. Just don't bitch and whine about how unfair something like this is, it's pathetic.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please go read http://www.slowtwitch.com/...-is-how-we-do.it.pdf

Written all in pink.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Please go read http://www.slowtwitch.com/...-is-how-we-do.it.pdf

Written all in pink.

If this was a sarcastic post then I apologize,

Sometimes it's hard to tell, sorry. Most of my point still stands though: this thing is simple and is designed to get people running during the winter, it should be a fun challenge, there's no reason to bitch about parameters. If you haven't worked up enough base to do it this year then set it as a goal next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, if you'd read all my previous posts, you'd know! (ok, this was sarcastic too...sorry...it's Xmas, I won't do it for 1hr as a punishment)...
;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure why the rules of participation are interfering with people's ability to undertake sub-0:30 runs ... as if the existence of a challenge is some sort of binary ultimatum. Seems that anyone desparate enough for the acknowledgement should have no moral issue with tacking on a couple minutes of their walking cooldown to reach the minimum time. Of course, I'm not advocating, just speculating.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, where is the love for the defending champ, I expected my name in big shiny flashing letters! ;-)

I will do this again because well ... I kinda can't stop these things!
I won't be going crazy like last year, I am planning a more swim, bike focused winter this year and no spring marathon. Running will be secondary, having said that I should still have a pretty high frequency as I run to work (every day), I just won't have the long runs on the weekends and the triple run days like last year.

Thanks for organizing this again.

Good luck to all and one final piece of advice: re-read # 9 on Dev's list of Do's and Don'ts, in this case slow and steady will win your race.

Ewan

Ewan

-------------------------

Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it safe to assume that showshoeing qualifies under the prescribed rules, namely both feet off the ground at all times?

Both feet off the ground at all times? Levitating should gain you extra credit in my opinion.

Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Burnman...when you are running with both feet off the ground on every stride and have achieved "lift off" how you choose to penalize yourself by a variety of appendages, be they snowshoes, Newtons, Saunconys, Fins or ankle weights is none of the concern of the challenge. If you achieve flight on every stride, you're good to go and count that time/distance :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was pretty excited about doing this until this weekend when my gigantic friend Tonye landed on my foot playing basketball and ruined my left big toe...

I've got another "Can this count?" question though. So what if I go for a 2 hour run, can that count as a two since you have a 30 minute run, 60 minute spent doing some running, then another 30 minute run? Its better than McDonalds...
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [sevans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Both feet off the ground at all times? Levitating should gain you extra credit in my opinion.

Nice catch .... or maybe I just know something that you don't :)

Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [_EH_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eh does 30 mins on his way to the bathroom. He's a running machine. ( How's that? )
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [jime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a long way to the bathroom here... you just gave me a idea ;-)

Ewan

Ewan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I am in

This will be good and Hard for me since I am a plus-size 40 yr old woman.. BUT I have been consistently doing a push-walk-run for 3 months now... so I just need to make sure 30 minutes is non-stop running.. no walking.. This will be the hard part.. but maybe I have been babying myself.. or as a friend says teaching my body to be endurable & training it to go slow... I'll be noting my daily runs on twitter under the same name. Thanks for the challenge!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in! This will be my first challenge - I've only been running for about 4 months now, so I'm certainly not aiming for 100. I'm just hoping this will help keep me motivated to stay consistent with it when I start my medicine residency in 3 weeks. Like Dev said, it's all about making time, even during my 80hr work weeks - at least that's the goal!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Hope to get to 90/100.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for my first 100/100. It's been 3 very lazy weeks since IMAZ, so I'm not going to rush into it. Shooting for 85-90.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey, where is the love for the defending champ, I expected my name in big shiny flashing letters! ;-)

I think you were the frequency champ. I was the mileage champ, beeeyotch.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a mere formality, oh and you did to many treadmill runs so your mileage should be cut by 1/3 ;-)
How you like them apples!

Ewan

Ewan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
:-)
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joe
Are you prepping for Boston again?
If so I think you will get that "weak" mileage trophy again :-)

Ewan

Ewan

Quote Reply

Prev Next