Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahaha...you know I love you Dev.....in a platonic way.......

The last time and only time, I skied, I thought it was like water skiing and I went straight down the black diamond hill without having the ability to stop or turn very well. Not very smart, but I was young and dumb and pretty drunk.

I woke up and the guys with the red crosses were standing over me. I made it down to the refreshment area and stayed there the rest of the weekend.

I'll stick to SBR, thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is where the hilarity begins. "What about xxxxx? Does it count? What about only running 29:30, does that count? If I wear purple, can I get double?"

Straightforward:
  • Minimum 30 minutes consecutive running.
  • Not 29 minutes, not 28 minutes, 30
  • Doesn't matter how many miles that equals.
  • Both feet need to be in the air mid-stride.
  • You can run more than once a day but there must be a hour between runs.
  • Not 58 minutes, one hour.

How is this hard?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [tetsuoni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm in, glad i am well rested...
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Instructions updated in post 1 of this thread.

If anyone does any crazy runs, please feel free to submit it to Jen for the ridiculous run reward!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This past year I've run approx. 320 days out of the past 346. No injuries cuz I took it slow when I got started. I hadn't run consistanly in months so pretty much started from nothing. I've come up with a rough average of 25 miles a week for 50 weeks which means I've run from Seattle to just north of Encinitas, CA. Set 10k, 50k and 50 mile PRs.

I just had to do some shameless bragging. Sorry, but I know you can appreciate this. I've gotten it out of my system.

I might not make the full 100 runs because I have a couple races on my schedule that will require a rest day or two to recover from. The boss might end up doubling me up a couple days to make up for them though :-)

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is very cool. 25 miles per week people may consider "low". But if you look at the ST logs very few people AVERAGE 25 miles per week. I'm "high mileage" averaging just a touch over 30 miles per week. The key is not 5 weeks of 50-60 miles per week, getting injured and 12 weeks of zero.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm averaging 30+ now, but started much lower. I was conservative with that 25 number but I'd rather not over-inflate the mileage and look like a total tool. I just want to look like a partial tool. :-)

It really is about getting the work done day after day, not just for 100 days and not running again for several weeks. That's the lesson IMO, not that people have to run every day but you gotta run consistantly.

Hopefully people will develop a love for the daily run. I know I have. I miss it when I don't get it in. Thankfully I have a treadmill which makes it easier this time of year :-)

I look forward to the stories and hearing about everyone's progress.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Elitist!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This is where the hilarity begins. "What about xxxxx? Does it count? What about only running 29:30, does that count? If I wear purple, can I get double?"

Straightforward:
  • Minimum 30 minutes consecutive running.
  • Not 29 minutes, not 28 minutes, 30
  • Doesn't matter how many miles that equals.
  • You can run more than once a day but there must be a hour between runs.
  • Not 58 minutes, one hour.

How is this hard?

I'll go first ...

Does snowshoeing count?
If I wear ankle weights can I count more time based on the added percentage of weight?
If I am running from the cops after a shootout at the donut shop can I count that time in my daily distance?
I do most of my tmill running at 5200 feet above sea level. Shouldn't that count for extra?

;)

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [jime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is gonna be sweet. i'm using 100/100 as an excuse to get a new pair of running shoes a bit early - thanks for the justification!

Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I am running from the cops after a shootout at the donut shop can I count that time in my daily distance?

If it is 30 minutes or longer, yes.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dev,

I'm not saying a 30 minute run is elitist. What I mean is if someone has 20 minutes free time at lunch to go for a run say they run only two miles.really the distance doesn't matter, I think it is elitist to belittle that persons effort as not worthy enough to count in this challenge . You didn't have any thing like this in the autumn challenge. Look at how many 1 mile entries there were. probably 10 minutes or less but you didn't diminish the value of those as not runs.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [bpcbuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the point of going for 30 minutes is that it takes a bigger commitment than 10 minutes does. 10 or 20 minutes barely gets most people even warmed up.

I think if you want to run 100 times in 100 days you should go for it. No reason why you have to be a part of the official challenge.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give it up pilgrim....30 mins or it doesn't exist. Go to Beginner Tri. I think it will count over there.

wee...wee...wee......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can see that you are an ultra runner. but do you think it really takes "most people" 30 minutes of running to get warmed up. I know it takes me at least 5min for my knees not to hurt then I can run:)I think" most people" would break a sweat if they had to run one minute probably most here at ST it might take ten. Unless they were walking but I thought we were talking about running. I have read a few articles on this forum about the importance of shorter 2-3 mile runs in ones training schedule.

The challenges are all honor system anyway. .During the autumn run challenge my wife asked me what i would get for reaching each level. I told her ,it was knowing that I did it. So why limit people? It couldn't be that awful "E" word I used earlier.It just seems silly.

I do plan on getting my running back to 6 days a week but I will count them all Even if its just the three miles to the end of the road and back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Around here, 30 minutes is very far from elite. Very far. And I'm also very far from elite too.

Maybe it is my age but it takes about 20 minutes for me to get into a good rhythm where my legs are warmed up and I feel good to go. 10 minutes isn't worth the effort to me.

I think it is great you want to run 100/100 but these are the rules for the official challenge. This is my first year because last year I wasn't running 30 minutes a day.

Start a new thread and set up your own challenge. People do it here all the time. TC used to do monthly swim challenges. I've seen cycling challenges as well. I've never done those because I don't do enough volume for either of them. And, I can't commit to their rules.

I'm sure you'd get people who would be up for it but not able to commit to 30 minutes.

Jen

Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [jime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks nothing I could write would validate my statements more than your latest comment.

BTW, four 30 minute+ runs with at least an hour in between in one day I am impressed There no way I am that good at managing my time. I am jealous. do you shower after each run or do you like hanging out in sweaty clothes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, I'm in again, although it'll be more like 70/100 instead of 100/100. Just the motivation I need to get out the door, and, I'm well tapered too ;-)

Ken
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [KS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ken, glad to hear. How is the economy doing in Japan. On my 44th birthday, I woke up after a week of rain and saw Mount Fuji from my hotel window....then I ran to the track at Yoyogi stadium and wanted to do a birthday set, so I thought of 44x200 but went instead for 22x400. Then drove up to Saitama and the prospective customer I spent the better chunk of the day with got their program approved and finally signed up with us. That was the evening that I was supposed to have dinner with you in Tokyo, but I only got back really late! I'm in for 80/100...glad to see you are in. Are you doing IM Japan? I hear there are three different Fuji Mountain Hillclimb bike races in April, May, June!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll agree with you that there are some days that I HATE the 30 minute minimum but because of the challenge I:
  1. make time to find 30 minutes. Anyone who tells me that they cannot make 40 minutes (30 min run, 10 min shower and change) for a run is either disorganized or is not making the run a priority....the latter is acceptable, but then you don't get credit for a full run. The former is also acceptable, but don't complain about the minimum when other do get themselves organized
  2. get more mileage in. 30 minutes is ~6-7k at my running pace. If I do 3 more of those per week, suddenly I have 20 K of additional mileage that I would not have if I did not make the time

I differentiate between the phrases:
  1. "have time" and
  2. "make time"

A triathlete trying to squeeze the most possible training in never "has time". We "make time". So please don't use the excuse of not having time, at least not in this challenge. Last year we had over 500 people making time to make it happen. There is never "no time"....there are just "different priorities".

thanks

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I noticed this thread posted yesterday, which linked to a scientific study:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread

From the article:

Frankfurt, Germany, December 6 -- A rather bizarre study carried out by German researchers suggests that staring at women's breasts is good for men's health and increases their life expectancy.

According to Dr. Karen Weatherby, a gerontologist and author of the study, gawking at women’s breasts is a healthy practice, almost at par with an intense exercise regime, that prolongs the lifespan of a man by five years.

She added, "Just 10 minutes of staring at the charms of a well-endowed female, is roughly equivalent to a 30-minute aerobics work-out."

[end quote]

So I would like to kick off this season's pestering of Dev with questions on the rules by asking the following:

If I run 30 minutes with a female training partner and stare at her boobs the entire time, can I count it as two runs?

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[do you shower after each run or do you like hanging out in sweaty clothes? ]
Who has time to shower seriously?
:)

Fred.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm... what's really cool about the 100 in 100 is that I didn't know the ST training log program existed. BONUS!

-----
Follow me on Twitter! megankillian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in, but not to go for 100/100 as my year is farther along with IM Utah not too far off. I think 90/100 will be close to my training plan...

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply

Prev Next