Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial.
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping to break an hour for a 40km TT this spring but need a few wattage benchmarks for the trainer this winter. I'm generally around 150-155lbs during the season and will attempt on a relatively flat, though windy, course. FTP, watt/kg, average power, anything that will give me a ball park would be great.

If you've broken and hour or know of an online calculator of some kind, help a brother out.

Quote | Reply
Depends on your CdA. I can break an hour on 230-250 W depending on conditions (say 3.3-3.5 W/kg). But it really is a function of tires, wheels, helmet, position, etc. and not so much weight.
Quote Reply
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

260+ watts for my 210lb Frame to get under 55min. Much more do do with your setup, than with your weight.

persequetur vestra metas furiose
Quote Reply
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [E_moto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
+1

260+ watts for my 210lb Frame to get under 55min. Much more do do with your setup, than with your weight.

Jeez.... I need to do some serious work on my position over the off-season.
Quote Reply
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [tim_sleepless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
+1

+2 for me.. Does the "+" in 260+ mean about 275?

-----------------------------------------
Donate now to the war on ALS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think equipment or position is my limiter. Here's some basic info on my setup:

Bike: QROO Seduza, frame mounted bottles, 1.5 cm of spacers
Helmet: LG rocket, tail lies flat on the back.
Wheels: shallow generic up front, wheel cover on a powertap out back.

Some sample data:
1) I've averaged 202watts (2.87/kg) over a hilly 90km 1/2IM bike split (02:29:47 @ 36km/h avg)
2) I've also averaged 347watts (4.93/kg) over 15km ITT in low wind. (00:21:55 @ 41km/h avg)

250 watts average for 1 hour a reasonable ball park? more?

Last edited by: mtlrunner: Dec 9, 09 8:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
+1

I did a flat 40K in 58:30 on an embarrassingly low 225W AP a couple of months ago...I'm ~5' 10-11" and ~160-165lbs...

I probably could've just broken 60 minutes on around 205W or so with that position/setup.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x3

260W 55 min....is this point to point, downhill with tailwind...that's faster than Torbjorn's Kona bike split and he is way above 300W to move at 58 min 40K pace! Yes, he is a big guy too....but wow 260W for 55 min...this is like the invisible man on an invisible bike!
Quote Reply
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [mtlrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I don't think equipment or position is my limiter. Here's some basic info on my setup:

Bike: QROO Seduza, frame mounted bottles, 1.5 cm of spacers
Helmet: LG rocket, tail lies flat on the back.
Wheels: shallow generic up front, wheel cover on a powertap out back.

Some sample data:
1) I've averaged 202watts (2.87/kg) over a hilly 90km 1/2IM bike split (02:29:47 @ 36km/h avg)
2) I've also averaged 347watts (4.93/kg) over 16km ITT in low wind. (00:21:55 @ 41km/h avg)

250 watts average for 1 hour a reasonable ball park? more?

What type of PM are you using? If you've done ~5 w/kg for 16km, breaking an hour for 40k should be a joke on a decent course in decent conditions with the same setup. You could probably hold around 325W for 40k ...
Quote Reply
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I must be really non aerodynamic because on 4.0 w/kg I can't maintain 40km/hour.
Quote Reply
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [rmur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm using a wireless PT 2.4 from a few seasons ago.

Frankly, i didn't know what to make of it when i saw the file. I remember feeling strong that day, the PT has always given me good readings, but this was a stand out. The only thing i can make of it is that i generally TT well above my category at shorter distances. Also, as a cyclist, i'm defenitly more of a sprinter then anything else.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
+1

I did a flat 40K in 58:30 on an embarrassingly low 225W AP a couple of months ago...I'm ~5' 10-11" and ~160-165lbs...

I probably could've just broken 60 minutes on around 205W or so with that position/setup.

I hate you.
Quote Reply
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What bike was that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These numbers don't make a lot of sense.

202 watts and 36 (22.36 mph) km/h on a hilly course???? How hilly is hilly? That's VERY good depending on how hilly.

On the contrary, 347 watts and 41km/h (25.47mph) assuming it is flat (you did not say) is not good, again, depending on how windy "slightly windy' is. 347 watts should yield almost 30 MPH on a flat course with light wind, especially on the basis of your first 22mph @ 202 watts on a hilly course.

So something is not right.
Last edited by: pjcampbell: Dec 9, 09 8:24
Quote Reply
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

What bike was that?

The one in that box I sent you :-) Just slap some Scott 100K bars and a Jet90 front/rear w/cover on it and equipment-wise it'll be identical. Get your position dialed in and you'll be right there ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
+1

I hate you.

I hate me too...especially the fact that I couldn't put out my typical 260-280W that day...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
huh? breaking 60 in a 40k requires 40km/h - if it took him 347w to go 41km/h in a 16km TT it's probably going to take pretty close to that to go 40 km/h, given a similar course/conditions. Assuming that 16km TT was a full-gas effort, I don't think this is going to be a "joke" for him. But I would agree that 325w sounds about right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm either calling BS or hiring you as my coach. 27+ mph for a 210lb dude on 260 watts is arousing my skepticism.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I hate me too...especially the fact that I couldn't put out my typical 260-280W that day...

Are you still in this set-up??

Last edited by: tim_sleepless: Dec 9, 09 8:26
Quote Reply
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [pjcampbell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 90 km was at the Tupper Lake Tinman. A rolling course with mild winds i'd say. Probably less hilly then a loop of IMLP. The 15km TT was an out and back on a single pancake flat road. Winds were generally cross tail/cross head. I have PT files for both rides but don't know how to pull them out.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
huh? breaking 60 in a 40k requires 40km/h - if it took him 347w to go 41km/h in a 16km TT it's probably going to take pretty close to that to go 40 km/h, given a similar course/conditions. Assuming that 16km TT was a full-gas effort, I don't think this is going to be a "joke" for him. But I would agree that 325w sounds about right.

uhm he stated 21:55 for 16km which is 43.8 kph ... I took that figure vs. 41 kph.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oops. actual distance is 15km. Edited above as well.

Last edited by: mtlrunner: Dec 9, 09 8:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm wondering just how much good tires/tubes will give me next year.

Last year I did 1:01:16 on 252 watts AP/NP. Flat course, reasonable position on a P3, deep wheels, relatively lousy tires (Conti Sprinter). (Tom, if you want to point to a downside of tubulars, here it is: I was just too lazy to change the tires out, and my local shop was out of good tubulars anyway). A month ago at a pretty much flat practice TT, I did 10 miles in 25:10, (23.9 mph) on 265 watts AP. Worse speed for more power. One difference, I had a training tire (big heavy Rubino Tech) on the rear last month.

This coming year, I'll be running clinchers w/latex tubes, and I'm finally going to get off my wallet and buy some Bonty or Vittoria Evo tires. It'll be interesting to see if there's a big difference.

Kendall Frederick

Orange Park, FL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Are you still in this set-up??

On that day...mostly. The position was nearly identical (I think my hands are slightly lower with the 100K bars) but the wheels were a Jet90 front/rear with a cover on the rear.

This was the position and setup on the day:

Quote Reply
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [mtlrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
49:35 on ~319 watts but at el 5400.
Quote Reply

Prev Next