Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What motivates you when completely demotivated? [D!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ah ah you are MEAN!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: What motivates you when completely demotivated? [dianne_1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
After all the studying I did in university my fitness had really gone down hill, and I didn't realize then that "starting where I am" was easier after graduation because I moved to take a job - which meant nobody in my new town knew how "good" I used to be! :-)

Oh man do you have a point there. I can't even think of showing up at my old gym. That scares me. I am contemplating driving 25 minutes to go workout where no one knows me or can judge me. Wheter we like it or not, people DO judge.
Quote Reply
Re: What motivates you when completely demotivated? [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh man do you have a point there. I can't even think of showing up at my old gym. That scares me. I am contemplating driving 25 minutes to go workout where no one knows me or can judge me. Wheter we like it or not, people DO judge.

It depends on the crowd. Runmomrun used to dominate the women's field here, then took a few years off to have some kids. I know she was super nervous to show up at her first race coming back; fear of being slower, less fits etc. But you know what? Everyone was just so happy to see her they didn't care if she won OA, her AG or came in last. She was greeted with hugs and open arms.It was great to get her back into our local tri scene. I took two years off, came back fat and slow and got the same welcome. We're really lucky to have such a great group of people in our area!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If people judge, ignore them.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
After all the studying I did in university my fitness had really gone down hill, and I didn't realize then that "starting where I am" was easier after graduation because I moved to take a job - which meant nobody in my new town knew how "good" I used to be! :-)

Why do you care what they think? They will think whatever they want and you can't do anything about that. So why worry about it? If they are typical, if they think less of you, then they are just trying to prop up their lack of self-esteem.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: What motivates you when completely demotivated? [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know it can be hard and scary to get past the fear of judgement (especially when we are the worse offenders towards ourselves) but the bottom line is life is way to short to be worried about the 'what if's'. What if you are judged, what if you never get your speed back (something I still face today after being in top shape then having my babies)? Does it really mean anything if you LOVE what you are doing? Honestly no, and I've had to live through it to 'get' that lesson.

Make a plan, stick to it, don't think of yesterday or even tomorrow but right now; in the moment. And never let fear stop you from pursuing that which you love.

Quote | Reply
so true. You can't change people like that...I try to just pity them because you know they have to be unhappy with themselves if they project that kind of negativity.
Quote Reply
Re: What motivates you when completely demotivated? [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok perhaps it's more "me" that feels uncomfortable, I just know how people talk and everything. it's appealing to go somewhere and just "be" and be the "unknown" one... I don't even know how to explain how this feels... Not trying to make excuses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
ok perhaps it's more "me" that feels uncomfortable, I just know how people talk and everything. it's appealing to go somewhere and just "be" and be the "unknown" one... I don't even know how to explain how this feels... Not trying to make excuses.

I totally know how you feel (I live in a small, everyone knows everyone, city) and got a membership at a gym that no one local goes to so I can just go and do my thing without having to deal with any outside interference.

Quote | Reply
ahhh thanks! I have a hard time living with what others expect of me. I want to be ok with my own expectations but it's hard. Some people expect me to be what I used be with fitness and I don't even know if I will ever be there or even want to. I want to be fit but I don't know if I want to race. I can't stand the pressure. It's really easy to say to not worry about others think or say but then again it's something else when you are deeply in this.

I also worry about what others think about what I post, and the comments I will get behind the scene. Thus I have stayed quiet. But this week, I decided that "me" was going to post and $%^& the ones that think this or that.

I really like the women forum, it's different in here. Maybe I just need to bitch or complain but I don't think so. Sometimes you look for support wherever you can get it. I appreciate all the positive comments:-) Hopefully I don't sound like a complainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh I *totally* get that feeling, which is why there was no way in hell I was going to do IMC as my first IM - too many people, too many possible comparisons, etc. I loved being one of the few Canucks at IMWA, I had so much fun that day, no pressure.

This is part of why I train alone a lot... then I can do my own thing without comparison.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: What motivates you when completely demotivated? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have an affair: Do something completely different than you are used to doing, like tennis or dance.
Therapy: pick one of the 3 sports and focus on only one. Or maybe take them off-road (trail run, mountain bike) and hang out with the people who do it for "recreational" fun.
Rekindle the fire: Sounds like you lost the fun in the sport, with all that pressure. We can't control what people say, we can only control what we say (and sometimes thats hard for me ;) Go back to why you fell in love with the sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might help to find a demotivated friend to start back training with - even dragging them into signing up for a race with you. I would also second trying something completely different since that's what has helped me. This wasn't entirely voluntary since I was a long-time runner/triathlete and had to give up running last year after my 4th knee surgery. I took up bike racing this year and really liked it so that's motivated me to keep training. It's also helped in the sense that my days of running PRs were long gone (I'm 45) and this gives me something entirely new to compete in. You just need to find a way to get back into it - once you've started working out for a while, I think the motivation will come back.
Quote Reply
Re: What motivates you when completely demotivated? [suwanne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have an affair

Being the selfless man that I am, I'm willing to volunteer for this assignment. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>It's really easy to say to not worry about others think or say but then again it's something else when you are deeply in this.

I also worry about what others think about what I post, and the comments I will get behind the scene. <<

Been there, done that.

Question to think about: Why do you want them to have that much power of how you feel?

Once you figure that out, the rest falls into place pretty quick.

But yes, the reason you like it here is why Trailbait asked slowman to start the Womens.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: What motivates you when completely demotivated? [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fearing what people think is totally normal, IMO. One reason we do this is that we're constantly judging others by similar criteria for different things. That's one reason we know what they're thinking. Also, in my experience (co-workers, etc.) the people who run around telling everyone else they don't care what others think are the same people who care the most.
Quote Reply
Re: What motivates you when completely demotivated? [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Have an affair

Being the selfless man that I am, I'm willing to volunteer for this assignment. :)

Ok Tiger, I'll keep that in mind.
Quote Reply
Re: What motivates you when completely demotivated? [suwanne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok Tiger....

How did she know it was me?!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
come to Austin and go for a trail run with me! we can go however fast/slow and long/short you want!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the many things I have learned on this forum is that unless I have respect for someone, their opinion doesn't matter, AT ALL.

I have been shredded on here, and I'm sure it will happen again, but really, I don't respect their opinions on anything else, why should I give their opinion of me any weight? (har har)

I still get incomfortable about how I look in my race photos but I remind myself that I'm out there so who cares? Really think about it. Does somone you don't know's opinion of you and your body really really matter?

Get to the gym. Go for a run. Get in the bike. Whatever you want. They just don't matter!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So make the decision not to race. Those decisions can always be changed later. I did this a couple years ago and now working out can be a lot more relaxing and fun - get to do what I want, when I want (or when work / family allows). Beach Volleyball, racketball, etc are now just as much in the mix as swimming, cycling or running. If you're competitive, there's lots of other goals in life that you can chase - i.e. work or family.

In terms of others expectations, from a guy's perspective, I sense that I'm more accepted now at the gym (or other facilities) now that I'm just an average "joe". When training seriously, it seems people were more judgmental (probably a jealousy thing). Now the goal is the same as the other 90% of people - just trying to stay ( or get into) in shape.

Dan
Quote Reply

Prev Next