Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Marathon training for a higher altitude
Quote | Reply
I inadvertantly posted this in a different forum when I had intended to post it in the women's forum, so I apologize if some are reading this for the second time!

I am preparing to begin training for a marathon in Debver CO in May which is approx 4000 feet higher in altitude than where I live. This is my second marathon so I am not out to set any records, but I would love some advice on how to properly prepare myself so I don't die:) Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon training for a higher altitude [emclark21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't have ANY expectations on your marathon finish time and you will be fine. Weakness from high altitude is something you have to yield to people who live there year-round.

Hydration is important, because at least it's a controllable variable. Low humidity compared to where I live, has always bothered me in Denver, whether running or heading up to ski. Bring ChapStick on the run to stay more comfortable.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live at altitude and have always heard it's best to either arrive about two weeks in advance to allow time or acclimate OR to arrive as close to the event as possible (ie - within 48 hrs) to minimize the effects.

You will probably feel the difference, but you should be okay. I assume you're doing the Colorado Colfax? It's quite flat, so you won't have to deal with the hills. IMHO - that's when you feel the altitude the most - going uphill or climbing stairs.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have no idea if this works, but i read in dean karnases' 50 marathons in 50 days that if you couldn't train at altitude or sleep in an altitude tent then try breathing thru a straw. apparently it gives you some benefit as you're really having to work to get the oxygen you need with each breathe.

again, i have no idea if it works, but it's cheap and you can do it while watching tv.

i think in the book he mentioned doing it for like 5 minutes a day.

maybe someone out there knows something about this. if it's total bs i'd love to know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are not used to it, be prepared to go slower. So for example, if you plan to run 8:30's in training, and think you can hold that on race day, the effort it take to run that probably will yield more like a 8:45 pace.

I never feel like I'm breathing harder, just running running slower!

S
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently came back from a year in Colombia living and training at 9000'-1000' and the first two weeks were humbling.

It goes without saying that the more time you have to acclimate the better - typical benchmark/recommendation is about two weeks. It's different for all people and depends on physiology, conditioning and a number of other factors.

Key piece is enjoy the race and listen to your body. If you are there to PR or place/win my advice would be different.

Ultimately if you live at sea level and move to 4000' there is less oxygen in the air and correspondingly your blood will be less oxygenated and your heart and lungs will need to work harder to maintain the same level of effort you use at sea level.

Heart rate is a good indicator. If you have a heart rate monitor and some time before the race in your home town I would recommend doing some running at your marathon pace and record your heart rate. When you get to Denver I would do the same thing and see the difference. The difference will vary between individuals but you will probably see a noticeably higher heart rate at altitude.

Goal would be to find a pace that corresponds to your heart rate at home.

Yes, you are going to be slower but if you know you can maintain a certain heart rate at home for 26 it is probably the best indicator of what you can sustain at altitude.

Good luck with your marathon.

in Denver I would recommend doing some easy running with some pickups on a local track. Check out your heart rate and see what it is when you start feeling like you are hitting your
Quote Reply