Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Breaking into the Overall
Quote | Reply
Without bragging, I do okay at triathlons. I generally win my age group at small/medium size races, place in my age group at large ones, and am usually within the top 10% of women overall. I've got 3 seasons of racing and a plethora of sprints, olys, and HIMs under the race belt.

One of my goals for this upcoming season is to finally break out of my age group into an overall placing slot.

I'm sure there are women here to regularly win races--what did you do to facilitate the jump from age grouper to overall? Was it mental? Training? Diet? Really cool shoes? Should I start doing the smallest, most podunk races I can find to better my chances? I'm fairly young (read: poor) so a coach is probably not the in cards for me right now. (Therefore, ST.) I'm trying to keep an open mind here so anything is appreciated.

http://konabound.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking into the Overall [alharaka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can't get a coach, then try to train with people that are faster than you. Train with the women who beat you or guys. Don't necessarily follow their plan, but if you have a plan you follow see if you can get someone to run your track workouts with you, or jump in the next lane at the pool. Do hill repeats on the bike with someone who's just a little faster and hang on as long as you can.

if you don't have a plan, develop one and stick to it. There's plenty of information out there to help you come up with a plan. Write one up and do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The few times I've been in the overall, it was because I put the hurt on myself. For me, there is a difference between racing and real racing and it is a whole other level of pain. You have to be willing to hurt in training and then in racing and you have to be determined. I was also at a lower weight and focused on those specific races at that time. Look at some smaller races and go for it, once you have that confidence and you see the times and results in training then you can go after the bigger races.

You can train with faster people but ultimately, it comes down to you do really want to do it? For me, the answer isn't always yes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second PirateGirls thoughts... Last summer I was injured, but in 2008 I saw drastic improvements and had broke in to the OA ranks for the 1st time. I rode with mostly guys and just chased until I couldn't hang on and started really pushing my track work....some of the same guys who I chased on the bike were chasing me on the run and I didn't want them to beat me :) I have always been able to push in the pool.

Stay smart, train smart, recover smart, and make workouts count. If it is supposed to be an EZ run... MAKE it an ez run... if it is supposed to be hard, make it hard!

Good luck and have fun!

okay..who's sick of the cold and ready for spring other than me!!!

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, it can be more about luck than anything else (assuming you have the speed to be at least competitive). Since there are often so many waves it's impossible to know where you stand OA until the end, even if you're in first. But check out race results from last year and participant list from this year, it will give you a sense of who is showing up and keep an eye on the course.

And the usual, train with faster ppl, go all out, finish strong, and nail your nutrition and pacing! Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pirate and KT are right. Train with guys, esp. on the bike. Some days you will want to sell your soul to Satan just to stay on that wheel.... Lord knows, I spent too many Saturdays with my tongue hanging in the gutter staring at some dude's ass in crazed cross-eyed in aerobic delirium prayin to 6lb 8oz. baby Jesus not to get dropped... but the 5:33 at IMAZ bike split was worth it.

S
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone who has replied so far has some great insights and ideas. It's always good to challenge yourself by training with faster people because it not only prepares your body to push through the pain in a race, but you learn to mentally push yourself through the hurt and keep going even when you think you can't.

However.... it's important not to overdo it and end up getting injured. I'd say one of the most important things is to get some good base training in this winter. Put the miles in now but keep things pretty mellow and easy. Then in the spring you can start thinking about some higher quality training to get you race ready. This not only helps prevent annoying injuries during the season but it allows you to make big jumps in speed and fitness.

Sounds like you're on the right track to improvement so keep it up! Cheers to you for being a competitive women who wants to kick some butt!!

Kristen

Founder Stiletto Sports Review
http://www.StilettoSportsReview.com
Quote Reply