Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hair Elastic Question
Quote | Reply
Ladies(and I guess some gentlemen),
My wife asked me to find out if there are any hair elastics that hold up better in the pool than others. My suggestion of duct tape was apparently inadequate so I thought I would post it up to you. The basic problem is that the hair elastics that she uses keep breaking at the connection point, so she is essentially going through a hair elastic every couple of days. Have any of you found a brand that works better/doesn't break down in chlorine?
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Hair Elastic Question [jhpcga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know how easy they are to find, but Japanese style hair elastics are basically the same as regular hair elastics, but they aren't connected. You tie them. So they won't break down at the connection point. I tried to google them but didn't come up with much.

I can buy them anywhere in Hawaii, but depending where you are, you might want to find a crafts store or maybe an asian grocery store?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry my hair is long enough that I tie it in a knot w/o any elastic then tuck it up under my cap. if she can manage w/o the elastic, that would be much better, but not sure if her hair is long enough for that...

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Hair Elastic Question [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
sorry my hair is long enough that I tie it in a knot w/o any elastic then tuck it up under my cap. if she can manage w/o the elastic, that would be much better, but not sure if her hair is long enough for that...

AP

I do the same thing. MUCH better for the hair!

Quote | Reply
I swim every day....and I use plain Goody hair elastics, usually the thicker style of them. I've had a few break occassionally, but then I've had a few break occassionally when I'm not in the pool or getting out of the pool. I've not had any problems with them. For races I use the Goody ones that have the sport style--- so they have like these rubber gripper things in the elastic, only because when I rip my cap/goggles off then I want to make sure that my hair will stay tied back on the bike/run....THe thicker ones might be more resistant to the chlorine....hope that helps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I use the clear Goody brand (I have fine hair that breaks fairly easily). This kind seems to be a little easier on my hair, while still staying on in under my cap:

http://www.amazon.com/...-Clear/dp/B00122CP30

(there are different sizes, too).

Jen
Quote Reply
Re: Hair Elastic Question [swimmergirl7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
> Goody hair elastics, usually the thicker style of them<

Ditto. They tend to stretch out too much after a period of time but they don't break.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hair Elastic Question [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exactly!!! stretched out isn't fabulous but they usually don't break....then you just have a collection of stretched out ones...hahah
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL, totally agree.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For doing just a swim, I put the rest of my hair in the cap and then kind of French Twist the back and put it in the cap. When I have to bike and/or run after the extra grip/thick Goodys work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I I use plain Goody hair elastics, usually the thicker style of them. I've had a few break occassionally, but then I've had a few break occassionally when I'm not in the pool or getting out of the pool. I've not had any problems with them.

same here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I forgot the just twist and stuff in a swim cap option. I did that sometimes. But usually braid so i can run after i swim. Of course she could just cut it short. Makes it much easier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
goody-type sport elastics from the dollar store. even if they do break, they don't have that metal thing, so you can just tie them...or chuck them out, because they're $1.00 for about 50 of 'em!

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I've had long hair all my life, and swam all my life and have never put my hair in a ponytail to swim. The swim cap does a great job of keeping the hair out of my face!

Maybe I am missing something but I can't figure out why so many people are putting their hair in a ponytail for swimming laps? It seems like an extra/unnecessary step. Are you not using a swim cap?
Quote Reply
Re: Hair Elastic Question [lisac957] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to do it because my hair was likely in a ponytail before I swam and it would go right back into one after I swam. That way I never lost the holder. I would braid it anyway, so it's not really an extra step to put the holder on the end before I put the swim cap on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goody StayPut. They have a rubber "gripper" band coiled around them, so not the best for fine hair but I've never broken one in the 3+ years I've been using them.

http://konabound.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply