Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

what would YOU want during a 50-miler?
Quote | Reply
boyfriend is doing a 50 miler this weekend...I plan on running around the course, carrying a backpack of some sorts with all sorts of food/goodies that he may want during the long day. i have a few ideas, but have never done a 50 miler before. anyone have experience or anyone maybe with IM experience who might know what might taste good at mile...15 or... 44?

:-)

Couple thoughts:
reeses peanut butter cups
chicken soup (warmed) or chicken broth or miso soup?
water + the crap he trains with (gels, etc.)
pb and j sandwiches...
pretzels

...other thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: what would YOU want during a 50-miler? [tridouche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it all depends on the runner. For 50 he might just want to add some solid food to what he takes in for IM. Most ultra runners, in my experience, can process solid food while moving like you wouldn't believe. The guy that just ran the Ragnar relay solo in Florida (203 miles, 79 hours) ate 25-30 McDonald's hamburgers and cheeseburgers, drank mayb a dozen vanilla shakes, and scarfed down 8 meatloaf and mayo sandwiches. I'd be prepared with some pb&j, maybe some turkey sandwiches, some salty/crunchy stuff, cookies, and a high-caloric food you know he can process and still keep moving if the other stuff isn't going down. Best of luck!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chances are the 50-Miler will have amazing well stocked aid stations. I have run a few ultras and the ultra aid stations put the IM buffets to shame -- cookies, candy, chips, sandwiches (pb& j and deli meat), potatoes (boiled and mashed), fruit, bacon, soup, pop, etc. One even had hot dogs, hamburgers, pulled pork sandwiches etc at the start/end of each loop. If you wanted it, it was to be found. I would check and see what is on the menu and then maybe bring something along that he likes that isn't listed.

The thing that I enjoy the most when I have a sherpa during an ultra is having them waiting for me at aid stations with what I am going to need. I sort of have a mental plan in my head on where I might want to change shoes/socks, where I'll drop off or add clothing, where I'll refill my hydration pack/bottles, where I'll pick up more food (if I am carrying it between aid stations), etc. So I set up my drop bags with this schedule in mind and communicate my plans to my sherpa. Nothing is more awesome than coming into an aid station where someone has found my drop bag and gotten everything organize for me. I just hand them my hydration, change my shoes/etc, hit the port a potty and when I am ready to start again, my pack is fully loaded with drink and food and I am off.

You may want to also consider carrying a blister kit (band aides, meds, scissors, etc) as a just in case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like it when I can get warm Ramen noodles at the aid station. They are easily digestible and have a ton of salt and carbs. Make sure to leave the juice in there. Hard boiled eggs are also a nice treat. I think your body begins to crave protein at some point.
Quote Reply
Re: what would YOU want during a 50-miler? [Amstel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I forgot about the ramen. When I paced a friend for his 100, I ate ramen like a madman through the night.
Quote Reply
Re: what would YOU want during a 50-miler? [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
true...depending on the race, he might be able to get everything he needs from the aid stations. I've see aid stations though that have water and water and a stale box of 'nilla wafers and water.

There's a great new race in NJ called 3 days at the Fair what runs a short course on the Fair grounds...so they have a full kitchen and, hopefully, Fair food. Its a 48 hour race so things like corn dogs and Fried Twinkies might be on the menu after a while.
Quote Reply
Re: what would YOU want during a 50-miler? [n.e.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! Just water and stale cookies? Glad I missed that one. Even for the Fat Ass runs that I have done that are self supported, there has been plenty of food, drink, etc to go around as it turns into a pot luck.

If funnel cakes get added to the 3 days at the Fair, I may have to add this to my race calendar :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
peeled, boiled potatoes rolled in coarse salt. seriously, it works. super easy to digest.

I personally love a PBJ, but it can be hard to run with that in the gut. I had a turkey sandwich on the bike at IMC, but that's on the bike, not running. The miso/chicken soup is a good idea. Hot chocolate too.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
boyfriend is doing a 50 miler this weekend...I plan on running around the course, carrying a backpack of some sorts with all sorts of food/goodies that he may want during the long day. i have a few ideas, but have never done a 50 miler before. anyone have experience or anyone maybe with IM experience who might know what might taste good at mile...15 or... 44?

:-)

Couple thoughts:
reeses peanut butter cups
chicken soup (warmed) or chicken broth or miso soup?
water + the crap he trains with (gels, etc.)
pb and j sandwiches...
pretzels

...other thoughts?

another 50 miles.

It's not about the bike, it's just along for the ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A stand-out memory from the 50K I did was that the aid stations made little concoctions of oreo cookies topped with a smear of peanut butter topped with m&ms. I had never tasted anything so good in my life!
Quote Reply
Re: what would YOU want during a 50-miler? [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agree-they will likely have a lot of food, so bring the 'extras'
make sure to find out what he uses that maybe they do not carry (like restock gels, etc)
nice to anticipate what he might not know he wants yet, like I LOVE those facial towels that come in packs of 15-20 to clean your face....every man I've shared them with during a race was so surprised how great it feels to wipe the gunk off mid race. Sounds silly but true. Carry some Desitin in case something starts chaffing in a weird unexpected place. Maybe a can of Coke (fizzy) thats what I like. Candied ginger is good for unsettled stomach, or Tums (these are things AS likely will not have)
A jacket/clean shirt/socks depending on the weather forecast...
best of luck to him! and you! which 50 is this?
Quote Reply
Re: what would YOU want during a 50-miler? [triLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not so much in 50s, but in overnight races, I've "revived" a number of runners with those little disposable tooth brushes and a facial wipe. They are wonderful when you're feeling low.
Quote Reply
Re: what would YOU want during a 50-miler? [n.e.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that Ultra's usually have the best food stocks so check that out first. One thing I used for the couple of 50Ks I ran was baby powder. I didn't have anyone with me so I put a little sample size in my special needs bag. During an ultra you sometimes get chafing in the worse spots and the powder helped dry some of thos out and felt great. I never used it without having another runner ask if they could borrow a bit themselves. Also I will second the baby wipes etc, I would have killed to have been able to freshen up my face a bit, sweat mixed with trail dirt gets annoying quickly.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did it go?! Any crazy food cravings? Was it the northface challenge 50miler? I heard that was this weekend...
Quote Reply