Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's talk sex -- how far out from races do you stop having sex? I swear I perform 10000% better when I abstain for at least 3 days.

Sponsored by -- Whoever tips at my coffee shop
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The benefit is comfort. I don't think there is a need to ride a tribike if you aren't in the aerobars. IMO, every moment you are not in the aerobars, you'd be better off on a road bike.

Very good point here.

Owner of Gears and Grinds - Bike/Tri Shop
http://www.gearsandgrinds.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One other thing.

When you get married how about applying for Canadian Citizenship!

You know how great it is up here.

Owner of Gears and Grinds - Bike/Tri Shop
http://www.gearsandgrinds.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you said you eat this way year round, yes?

Ever consume caffeine? why/not?
Likewise, anything containing or made from cow milk? w/n?

Were these changes you made to your menu in recent years? Simply a lifelong preference?

Thanks.
Love your work.

The Ride of Truth - OWN your ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
First...congrats on a great finish.
I see you follow a "gluten-free" diet and you have told us what you ate on and before raceday, but would you mind telling us what you normally eat on a typical day. Thanks.

Typical day:

Pre-swim breakfast: panda puffs (corn cereal) with almond breeze & Vega shake (plus multi-V and Optygen)

SWIM

Post-swim breakfast: two pieces bacon & two eggs on two pieces rice bread with apricot preserves

Lunch: one (or two depending on the duration of the ride) almond-butter and jelly sandwiches on rice bread

BIKE & RUN OFF BIKE: on bike - EFS bottles with extra electrolytes and EFS or Lara bar

Post-workout: Ultragen shake

Dinner: home-made organic chicken tacos with quinoa, homemmade guacamole, goat milk cheese

I have to say that after your lecture at IMC this year decided to make the switch from Soy milk to almond milk and I like it much better. The unsweetened one from Blue diamond is great. I don't get the Panda Puffs though. They are truly horrible ;)

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
- Is the Almond Breeze the unsweetened kind? Good stuff. I think it was two-for-one last week and my husband came home with three crates of it.

- With your special dietary requirements, do you find that shopping in Canada is a challenge? Is there anything you *need* but absolutely can't find in Canada? You're fortunate that Penticton is served by such a great natural foods store, but it seems that we are lacking the selection and prices that one finds south of the border.

Congratulations on a great race. It was fun watching you run down Lakeshore Drive in August and even better to hear that you're 2 for 2 this year.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [banana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
- Is the Almond Breeze the unsweetened kind? Good stuff. I think it was two-for-one last week and my husband came home with three crates of it.

- With your special dietary requirements, do you find that shopping in Canada is a challenge? Is there anything you *need* but absolutely can't find in Canada? You're fortunate that Penticton is served by such a great natural foods store, but it seems that we are lacking the selection and prices that one finds south of the border.

Congratulations on a great race. It was fun watching you run down Lakeshore Drive in August and even better to hear that you're 2 for 2 this year.

I haven't had any trouble. Prices are higher, for sure, but we balance it out between Save-On & Whole Foods (the Penticton one). If you live in western BC, then you have Thrifty's, which is really good. And Planet Organic, which is expensive, but which has everything. Almond Butter is the one thing that is about 3x as much without fail. Organic meat is also a lot more. Those are the two things that really hit my $.

It's definitely easier with Whole Foods and Trader Joe's in the US, but I never really struggled to buy what I wanted/needed.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [Spinmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think you said you eat this way year round, yes?

Ever consume caffeine? why/not?
Likewise, anything containing or made from cow milk? w/n?

Were these changes you made to your menu in recent years? Simply a lifelong preference?

Thanks.
Love your work.

Pretty much year 'round. I'm more relaxed the week after an Ironman, and more strict in the month before one.

I consume caffeine before a race, and that's about it. I'm not opposed to having an macchiatto with friends on occasion, but I'd say I probably take caffeine (besides races) less than once per month.

I usually do goat's milk, and if not that, raw milk, but I will have regular organic cheese or yogurt without worrying about it. But still trying to minimize (eliminate) lactose, as the bacteria in both yogurt and cheese process the lactose as part of making yogurt and cheese. Besides those things, I don't really have any dairy. I like a scoop of ice cream or a milkshake after a race, but I don't have it regularly. I don't really have a problem with dairy, but it's a relatively common digestive irritant, and I don't really see any *benefit* from it. So at worst, it's bad for you, and at best, it's not beneficial.

I've never been big on caffeine, but I used to drink a LOT of milk. I noticed my skin became a lot clearer once I stopped. I would just say I feel much better the way I eat now. I also used to eat a lot of bread, pasta, etc. Always high quality stuff, but still, once I cut out the gluten, I felt much better. I would say the past year, really starting before Wildflower, was when I made the biggest change and committed to being gluten free. I cut down on all non-yogurt/non-cheese dairy about two years ago. And about 6 months ago I switched to eating basically all goat milk products.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [Aarron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
One other thing.

When you get married how about applying for Canadian Citizenship!

You know how great it is up here.

I'm actually already a landed immigrant (long story), so that's really all I need. It's good for Jill (and for when we eventually have kids) for me to stay an American.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [CrcklBrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Let's talk sex -- how far out from races do you stop having sex? I swear I perform 10000% better when I abstain for at least 3 days.

I don't have a hard & fast rule (pun intended), but generally it seems to just happen about 4-5 days before a race. Lots to do, I get stressed, try to get to sleep early, sleep a lot, etc.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan, as the top of the top triathletes already and in the making, what are your thoughts on the guy who got disqualified in AZ for running without a shirt.

and I do mean your THOUGHTS, not the obvious rules are rules bullsh!t everyone keeps talking, that we all know.

It's not about the bike, it's just along for the ride.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [roadhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
please don't make me Mork and Mindy you yet once again... ;)

i'll be back after Kona 2004 on uvsports.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am interested in your love of bacon. Besides the taste (which is awesome) why eat the stuff. Is it not just bad fat and some protein? Is it a comfort food thing?

Congrats on your success. Lots more to come I am sure.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [krull_etc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I can chime in re: oats-
The NOW brand oats (steel cut) or McCann's oats are not labeled gluten free but are considered to be "safe" for gluten free folk.

-----
Follow me on Twitter! megankillian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you ever "indulged" in gluten-filled foods post-race or when you were not prepping for a race? If so, did you notice any differences in the way you recovered?

-----
Follow me on Twitter! megankillian
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [roadhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

fine <headstand on couch> "Mork calling Orson, come in Orson." What would you say would have been the most generous actions to take by the officials concerning the guy being dairy queened from IMAZ? and would that be your opinion of what it should be like for any IM event? I mean, there's the card way of looking at it which would give the guy the right to continue with a warning and he would've definately known the rules with a card and I'd have to guess he woulda put his shirt right back on or there's the 'rules are rules, too bad, soo sad' but without the handbook for dummies way of looking at it which is kind of an oxymoron in itself if you were to, as I do, look a the IM event as people helping each other and I don't mean by drafting as that's no fun but I mean working towards a serious goal and having volunteers and yadda yadda yadda, you know.

And has anything like that ever happened to you?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
SPECIALIZED V.S FELT. WHICH IS BETTER AND DON'T YOU DARE SAY FELT! PRO'S AND CONS OF EACH PLEASE!!!

You are asking me to split hairs on bikes that can - and do - win at the highest level.

Best common feature:
both have internal cable guides, which are really nice. Push the housing in, and it pops out the other side. Makes building a bike much easier.

Specialized thoughts:
- The brakes are a pain in the butt to set-up, but once set-up they work very well. There is an aerodynamic benefit, but they do require more work than just slapping on a typical pair of dual-pivot calipers.
- The bike is very stiff. I think it could be lighter and a bit less stiff. You do pay a price for the stiffness in terms of decreased vertical compliance. So it's a tradeoff. I don't know that the bike needs to be as stiff as it is. But you pedal and the bike goes. That is for sure.
- Handles better than the Felt. I really like the extra front center and longer trail. I find it is very stable, but also very maneuverable. I find I more easily pedal through corners and avoid potholes, bumps, etc.
- I HATE single bolt posts. I don't like "tapping" to make angular adjustments to saddle pitch.
- I Love BB30. It's a superior system. It's clearly an upgrade. Not unique to this bike, but it's still a positive
- Tighten bolts and they stay in place. The bike does not rattle or creak. It is very solid.
- This is THE steepest bike you can buy. You can run a saddle 8+cm in front of the BB. There is no other bike that you can get as steep as this one. That's not a necessity for me, but I was amazed at how steep you can get the bike.

Felt thoughts:
- I don't like that the bike is designed around a Shimano drivetrain. Yes, other parts work, but there can be a bit of hassle, such as when I wanted to use Zipp cranks and I had to use the "scissor" brake, which I don't think works very well. When I set the bike up with Shimano, it was very simple. But once I got parts from SRAM, I had to work around some things. You can see this even with some of the changes made between 7800 -> 7900. For instance, you need to replace the barrel adjuster on the 7900 rear brake. I think it was foolish to design a bike to work optimally with parts made by someone else.
- I prefer the two-bolt seatpost of the Felt.
- If you wrench yourself, the Bayonet is more of a hassle than a traditional front end. I got so that it wasn't issue, but you have to take care. I'd equate the Bayonet with the Transitions brakes - more work than "normal," but worth the hassle.
- Even at proper torque, I found the seatpost would slip a couple mm, even using the stainless steel clamp.
- Ditto for the bayonet. Loctite and grease are necessities if you own a Felt.

Summary:
If you ride the two bikes back to back, the Specialized is stiffer than the Felt. That's not a plus or a minus in my book. They are both stiff enough. But that's the difference you'll feel immediately.

Area where I think the Specialized is definitely better than the Felt - handling (more front-center and trail). Area where I think the Felt is definitely better than the Specialized - seatclamp is better (two bolts).

Notes:
I only ever rode a 2008 Felt DA. I know a lot of improvements were made with the new Bayonet on the 2009+ DAs.

Do you have a feel yet for which bike is faster (as in Watts / mph)? I would think after enough rides on the same routes, you'd be able to establish quantitatively which is faster.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [Pedalsaurus_Tex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Do you ever get tired of talking about yourself?

Without question the d-bag post of the week.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [goldenboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Do you ever get tired of talking about yourself?

Without question the d-bag post of the week.

No doubt. I might dig a bit deep with my line of questioning but I'm pretty excited about the fact that he CAN RIGHTFULLY ANSWER MORESO THAN THE REST OF YOU COMBINED these answers and takes the time to do so so quit being a kid and let the man speak.

Sorry if that stings a bit. ;)

Preston.

Last edited by: roadhouse: Nov 27, 09 18:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Congratulations on a great race and a race plan very well executed!

What shoes did you wear for the marathon? And why?

Cheers

Nike Lunar Mariah. Roomier toebox than the LunarRacer, but still with the Lunar sole, which I think is great for running on very tired legs.

Can you give a more in-depth compare/contrast of the Lunaracer vs the Lunar Mariah? Cushioning, weight, durability, etc...

And, which ones did you wear (PR or TZ)? Or, are they the same?

Where did you actually find them for sale? (A quick Google doesn't turn up much.)

Thanks.

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Last edited by: The_Mickstar: Nov 27, 09 19:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I'm suprised at how few calories that seems. I try to eat gluten free too (I've also never been diagnosed with an allergy or intolerance, but it does make a huge difference in how I feel), but I really struggle with staying above a certain weight or body fat percentage when in the peak of my training. Are there any calorie dense foods you eat if you feel like you are getting too thin?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Jordan, as the top of the top triathletes already and in the making, what are your thoughts on the guy who got disqualified in AZ for running without a shirt.

and I do mean your THOUGHTS, not the obvious rules are rules bullsh!t everyone keeps talking, that we all know.

I think that maybe when you see that you are the ONLY person on the course without a shirt, that might be a sign that you are not doing something right. I wonder if they'd have DQ'ed him if he had picked up a shirt, for example, after the first lap? I didn't read through the whole thread, so apologies if this was covered. I'm also surprised that nobody said something to him before the finish line. I *thought* it was pretty widespread knowledge that you had to wear a top on the run, so you'd think that some other athlete, volunteer, or official would have said something to him before he actually got into the chute.

I support the decision. I think that every time there is an exception made to the rules, it undercuts the total system of rules. The "broken window theory." I do think the "must wear a shirt" rule is a good one. I think WTC ought to adopt the no exposed torsos, back zip rule, at least for pros, and really for everyone. Ultimately, I'm a believer in personal accountability. The rules were there. The guy didn't read them. DQ him. Rules ARE rules. This was a big discussion in the pro meeting - about drafting rules, where Jimmy said maybe it's a gray zone where you are like 1" into the draft zone. And we all said, "we don't want a gray zone. 1" is drafting." So I think I'm biased because of having rules impact me that way. So I think of the rules from the pro perspective.

I really do think it's sad that no one out there took the time to give the guy a heads up. With three loops on the run, it'd have been easy for him to retrieve a shirt. Someone should have stopped him at some point on the run and made him get a shirt. I like to think if I'd seen the guy I'd have said something to him. I think everyone who did see the guy who knew he was breaking a rule that could get him DQ'ed should feel bad if they did not tell him.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [Zooma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am interested in your love of bacon. Besides the taste (which is awesome) why eat the stuff. Is it not just bad fat and some protein? Is it a comfort food thing?

Congrats on your success. Lots more to come I am sure.

High caloric density is the main reason. I need X calories to do a long workout with bonking. I also prefer at least some of those calories to be fat, because it lasts a long time. I also like fat as a fuel because 9cal/g vs. 4cal/g (for CHO and Protein) means I need to eat less total volume of food. I hate exercising with that "full belly" feeling. So if I compare, for example, how many pieces of pancakes (for example) I'd need to eat to get the same strict number of calories as in two pieces of bacon and two eggs, and I look at the volume that will take up in my gut, that's where bacon really becomes appealing.

I also think you need to be careful about saying "bad fat." For a long time, margarine was *supposedly* better than butter, because it was 100% unsaturated. But it's not REAL food. I'm not saying animal fat is good for you. But bacon fat is real and very basic. There is NO processing done to the bacon I eat other than some sea salt rub. So in that sense, I think of it as being a very "primal" food. I also eat only about two pieces a day. And I eat a lot of unsaturated fats as well - fish oils, nut oils, etc. So I think I have a pretty good lipid profile in my diet.

But I started eating bacon simply because I found when I did, I never bonked during really long workouts or long training days (days where I might not have one long workout, but where I have many workouts).

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMAZ Thread [meganruns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If I can chime in re: oats-
The NOW brand oats (steel cut) or McCann's oats are not labeled gluten free but are considered to be "safe" for gluten free folk.

I also think one of the big concerns with oats is often that they are processed in facilities that also process wheat, which makes them a bigger risk for people with celiac.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

fine <headstand on couch> "Mork calling Orson, come in Orson." What would you say would have been the most generous actions to take by the officials concerning the guy being dairy queened from IMAZ? and would that be your opinion of what it should be like for any IM event? I mean, there's the card way of looking at it which would give the guy the right to continue with a warning and he would've definately known the rules with a card and I'd have to guess he woulda put his shirt right back on or there's the 'rules are rules, too bad, soo sad' but without the handbook for dummies way of looking at it which is kind of an oxymoron in itself if you were to, as I do, look a the IM event as people helping each other and I don't mean by drafting as that's no fun but I mean working towards a serious goal and having volunteers and yadda yadda yadda, you know.

And has anything like that ever happened to you?

Best case scenario, they see him coming into the chute and someone stops him before he gets too far and gives him a shirt.

Depends on what you are asking. I've had volunteers give me misinformation - steer me down the wrong road - or not be where they were supposed to be, etc. But they are VOLUNTEERS. I think every pro I know has had that. But you don't get anything for that. It's your responsibility to know the course. So, yes, I've had volunteers tell me something that wasn't actually so, like what happened to this guy, and suffered as a result.

If you are asking have I ever received a stupid penalty, the answer is, fortunately, not YET. But I'm certainly fallible.

As I said before, I think the real tragedy is that in 26.2 miles, NOBODY gave this guy a heads up (at least as far as I can tell from what I read of the thread).

Quote Reply

Prev Next