Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road frame for 4'9" friend
Quote | Reply
I've read the threads below (about a bike for a 5 footer), this is harder!

Looking to help a sweet friend that is tiny! She wants to start triathlon and needs a small bike. We were lookingat a 44cm Ruby Specialized but need a slightly different fit. First, she is very narrow, and 32cm bars would be the correct fit....can't find those, second she needs a 34 bike shoe to get properly fit on pedals, can't find those anywhere although Northwave shows they make shoes (at least a retailer in South Africa shows 34's online). The seatpost would have to be cut down about an inch on the Ruby to lower the seat further than it's normal low point.

We have called Terry bikes, and plan to call Serotta to talk about custom fit. Terry suggested a setup that sounded strange to me, with a 24" front wheel and a 700c rear to lower standover height and maintain normal gearing with the standard rear wheel.

Suggestions would be appreciated
Quote Reply
Re: Road frame for 4'9" friend [Willrace4food] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PlanetX XXS might work. I have it set up as a road bike (Stealth Carbon)

I think Spiuk shoes go down to a 34 but not certain.

If she is narrow is she also very slight? I would be concerned about a 700/650 combination if she is.
Quote Reply
Re: Road frame for 4'9" friend [Stumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She is very small, but very fit at 80 pounds (marathoner, climber,skier).

Also searching for a source for XS bike shorts/knickers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about kid's frames?We have a kid's tri here and there are always some kiddos on nice looking Felts and Treks. I'd have her look at kid's cycling clothes too, black shorts are black shorts right? They're probably way cheaper too.
Quote Reply
Re: Road frame for 4'9" friend [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.spiuk.co.uk/..._Evo2_Tri_Suits.html

This one goes down to XXS (age 10), I am sure they can't be the only brand to go down that small.

Kiwami also do kids sizes for tri:

http://www.kiwamitri.com/...lon-children_11.html

Their cycle gear also goes down to XXS.

I would try Scody and Zerod as well. 2XU must go pretty small as they clothe Emma Snowsill.
Quote Reply
Re: Road frame for 4'9" friend [Stumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the suggestions so far...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Zev check out Luna Cycles - designed for women - Judith bought one and love it- she moved to CO I think. G

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: Road frame for 4'9" friend [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good one Graham!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've read the threads below (about a bike for a 5 footer), this is harder!

Looking to help a sweet friend that is tiny! She wants to start triathlon and needs a small bike. We were lookingat a 44cm Ruby Specialized but need a slightly different fit. First, she is very narrow, and 32cm bars would be the correct fit....can't find those, second she needs a 34 bike shoe to get properly fit on pedals, can't find those anywhere although Northwave shows they make shoes (at least a retailer in South Africa shows 34's online). The seatpost would have to be cut down about an inch on the Ruby to lower the seat further than it's normal low point.

We have called Terry bikes, and plan to call Serotta to talk about custom fit. Terry suggested a setup that sounded strange to me, with a 24" front wheel and a 700c rear to lower standover height and maintain normal gearing with the standard rear wheel.

Suggestions would be appreciated

I'm 4'10, 26" inseam, 100lbs. I looked high and low for my first road bike and ended up going with a custom Ti Seven with 650cc wheels. Fits like a charm (only minor toe overlap which has never been an issue), but cost and arm and a leg. Serotta turned down the build. I searched for three years to find a tri bike and was able to work with GURU and they are in the process of building me a custom carbon Magis. It is the second smallest bike they have ever built. The first was for someone 4'9". Took quit a while to get the fit right and it isn't perfect. There is still some toe overlap and I have only 3mm of standover. Michel Somogyi from GURU frequents ST forums. You should pop him a note if you are interested.
Quote Reply