Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Slowtwitch-think Bike Case
Quote | Reply
First original Slowtwitch thread, in preparation for first flight with bike.

Started the game Monday of building two bike cases for the trip to IMCOZ.

Goals:
Reusable
Cost under $150 each
Small enough to not look like a bike
Strong enough to stand on
Case weight under 10 lbs
Both cases same size
Five days construction time in off-work hours
Must hold Large Softride FasTT7, spare beam, two wheels and wheelcover, pump, running and biking shoes, wetsuit and tools
Must allow padding between parts to prevent scratching

Here's my concept

6 yards x 50" Kevlar cloth $100
6 yards x 48" fiberglass mat $60
6 yards x 38" fiberglass cloth $12
Gallon Polyester resin, hardener and finisher $40
2 x 2" by 24" by 48" Polystyrene foam sheets $12
6 yards x 50" x 1/2" foam padding $30

Looks like I'm going over budget. I haven't figured out the closure system yet. I have some strapping, buckles and handles that I may use.

If you've got any ideas or suggestions, please share them...quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch-think Bike Case [DamonHenry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The frame length was the length limiter.
The wheels were the height limiter.

Allowing for an inch of internal padding, the external layout ended up 27" x 38" x 8"

The second bike is a small P3 with 650c wheels, so it's a couple inches smaller each dimension. There's no trouble fitting it in a similar sized space.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
buy an akona case
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't really help with your project but I bought this case for a recent trip.

http://store.mpgear.com/...mpetiton-cycles.aspx

I was able to find a store coupon code and get the case for ~$250.

It's a popular case on ST. I used curbside check-in both ways. On the way out they didn't ask what it was, and the bike was shipped for free. The return trip it cost me $50 (bike charge for Southwest)

It was just under 10lbs.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch-think Bike Case [IRONwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Akonas look like nice cases. Want to save $300, have a much smaller and more protective case, with wheels and backpack straps.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch-think Bike Case [TimBikeToo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. People seem to love those cases. I'm going for even smaller, cheaper, stronger, with wheels and backpack straps. At this date, I fear I wouldn't even be able to buy something in time for the flight Sunday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Each case will have two 4" deep halves.

I decided to round the ends and corners for strength, and to diminish the appearance of size.

Shaped the foam last night with a saw and file. Moving quickly, I didn't get a picture before I sealed it with epoxy paint.

Here is the plug for one half sealed:

Last edited by: DamonHenry: Nov 18, 09 14:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where do you live? I have a two bike case for sale:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=2500427#2500427
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch-think Bike Case [UNC_Tri_Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would you guys let the man do his thing! I want to see how this DIY project turns out. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch-think Bike Case [kmill23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. I want to see how his project turns out...anything that makes travelling with a bike easier and cheaper is a good thing. I like my Akona case, but there is always room for improvement.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch-think Bike Case [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gathered the materials after work. The current plan is to make a Kevlar fabric hinge for the bottom, build adjustable straps and handle into the case weave for secure closure, and have a 4" width of Velcro around the entire seal. The Velcro should function like a zipper, but allow the edges of the shells to stay flush, thus stronger than a zipper would allow. The Velcro ends will tuck under, thus be covered by the buckles and handle, which will keep the ends secure during travel. This approach Velcro approach could suck, and will take me up to, and maybe over the desired budget in my game. Edge alignment could be an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think its a pretty cool project, and even cooler that you are sharing it here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
keep the posts coming please, I like projects like this. you need to finish this box ready and cured by this weekend?

Stefan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My initial read of your layout diagram has me concluding that you'll have to remove cabling from the handlebars to store the bike. Is that true?
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch-think Bike Case [jyeager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The actual layout does not require cable removal, as shown in the layout photo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have the time keep us informed...and the pictures coming...very interesting!
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch-think Bike Case [kus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. I fly with them Sunday...I hope.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet Idea

I made one back in the day, then ditched it and bought one
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch-think Bike Case [Elite_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any lessons learned that I should know about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was a cheap college student and used cardboard, very thick, but still cardboard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love this concept, and the idea of what a finished product might look like. After reading this, I went out into the garage and laid several of our bikes (double diamond) out the same way, and it looks much more compact than the Iron case I currently borrow.

I see I would have to disconnect my front brake from the fork to remove the fork, which leads to this question: Is it easy to pull the front fork and reinstall each time? Do I have to worry about bearings coming out?

Thanks for sharing, and please do post more pictures in this thread as you proceed with construction and travel.

--------------------------------------

http://www.whydoesgodhateamputees.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One additional thing to keep in mind is TSA may open your bike bag. You'll want to make sure that packing it up and closing it is relatively easy to do.

Best of luck,
-Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch-think Bike Case [RichardS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I see I would have to disconnect my front brake from the fork to remove the fork, which leads to this question: Is it easy to pull the front fork and reinstall each time? Do I have to worry about bearings coming out?

Bearings could be an issue with many headsets. I would suggest a cheap cable tie to keep them in the head tube. (actually might need 2 )
But that wouldn't be a hassle
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch-think Bike Case [jyeager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Good tip. Our bearings are sealed in cartridges, but it's still a great idea to hold everything in place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks! Good tip. Our bearings are sealed in cartridges, but it's still a great idea to hold everything in place.

plus pack extra cable ties for the return trip. You'll have to cut them upon reassembly.
Quote Reply

Prev Next