Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Helmet cam video ironman florida pelotons [snoots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never did a IM tried to get into IMFL could not. done some shorter races an I never drafted and it is against the rules so I do not do it. That being said legalize it already. Either that or make a stay behind by three foot rule in the swim and run. Nice video and music.

Re: Helmet cam video ironman florida pelotons [tetsuoni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
service? What service? He bitched and whined (no offense) about the drafting, he admits to doing the race every year, which in effect is giving the nod to the status quo and reinforcing the business model for that race.

You want service? Instead of facilitating the problem, become a draft marshal. Write an email to the RD, USAT, WTC complaining about what is going on @ the race. Send in the footage showing how unsafe it is. That would be service. Bitching about and posting video over how butt sore you are about the drafting isn't a service.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Nov 9, 09 15:23
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet cam video ironman florida pelotons [snoots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Drafting is a penalty, yes. But I liken it more to hockey: falling over a stick does not a tripping penalty make. It is your responsibility to make every effort to avoid drafting, to not be caught in a drafting situation. I never said that we shouldn't have more marshals, nor that drafting shouldn't be a penalty, just that there needs to be room for interpretation - which, IMO, is what does happen, WHEN marshals spot drafting. Not everyone caught in a pack is happy about being there, or trying to draft, regardless of whether or not they get some advantage from it...

The rules disagree with you.

Drafting is illegal under the rules whether intentional or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet cam video ironman florida pelotons [gholmes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Priceless, can you really blame anyone. I could not see much down the firoad, but imagine it was crowded too. What do you do just stop by the side of the road? I think it is a matter of blame the course, you want fast times go to Florida! You want differentiation of field and perhaps legit Kona qualifiers go to perhaps Lake Placid?
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet cam video ironman florida pelotons [Greggor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and either way, good luck getting in if you aren't a pro or haven't volunteered on top of your expensive race entry fee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think WOW pretty much says it all, thanks for posting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much for this video. Truly awesome....
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet cam video ironman florida pelotons [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boy I disagree. I think he is doing a service as more information is always better (if uncomfortable).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The video is a service. I was unaware of bitching and whining. What are you jumping on me for? I've been a draft marshal and am a RD who creates races that discourage drafting. I've written elsewhere on ST to vote with your wallet. I'll never race IM Fla or Clermont. But a post on ST with actual video footage of draft packs is a service.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really cool footage and idea.

We all hear about how bad IMFL is, but this shows it for sure. With all due respect to one of your critics, I am pretty sure that the race director and governing body already knows about this little problem. Your efforts will only shed public light on it, with video evidence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I am the RD, and my race fills up every year, why would I change anything? What successful business changes their model because a FEW people complain?

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice graphic video gholmes. I like you am an IM vet of 23 IMs. People that are slamming you on this thread are doing it for a reason. Anyone who plays by the rules would not slam you for recording blatant cheaters. Some have said this is why they will never do IMFlorida. It doesn't have to be that way. I have done IMFlorida 3 times and have chosen not to get involved in the cheating. The last time I did the race was in 2007. I was on the bike going hard and steady but noticed no one had passed me for a while (I am not that strong of a rider so was wondering what was going on). I sat up in my bars, turned around and I kid you not there was a pack of 30-40 riders right on my ass. I just kept up on my bars, let the pack go (I wasn't going to do the work for them) and continued to ride myself. Don't let other people's cheating ruin your ride, ride with integrity.

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Re: Helmet cam video ironman florida pelotons [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are lots of simple ways to clean up IMFL. Strip the race of all of its Kona slots until it solves the drafting problem. Problem solved ;).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NICE! Keep em coming.

It seems like an easy solution would be to make two days of racing and split the field in half, with time-trial swim starts. If they already have all the equipment set up for one day, why not just leave it there for the next?

IMFLA seems like a nice race course, but damn that is absurd. Why spend $$ on a P4, Zipps, aerolhelmet, and comp socks if you can draft just the same on a trek 1000?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It happens often, dairies in my state had to clean up their 'poop' better because of local complaints though their sales never changed. Seems like every single gov't legislation is controlled or at least severely modified by vocal small groups. Change can happen it's just with out financial pressure sometimes it's a little harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. If we all voted with our wallets, WTC would either change or perish. They're thriving. I don't blame them; I blame the lemmings. WTC should charge $2000 per race.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet vid. What type of camera did you use to capture that?
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet cam video ironman florida pelotons [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the guy that keeps looking back at the cameraman. You can almost hear his saying "WTF? Is he FILMING me? How do I make myself look to be legal...."

---
Team Triabetes
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet cam video ironman florida pelotons [konaexpress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sat up in my bars, turned around and I kid you not there was a pack of 30-40 riders right on my ass. I just kept up on my bars, let the pack go (I wasn't going to do the work for them) and continued to ride myself.

But suppose you were in the midst of being passed by a pack of these riders when, along comes a draft marshal or gholmes with his camera? What then? There you are ... a draft cheat. How long did it take you to "let the pack go" and how did that work? As someone else asked, did you stop at the side of the road? I'm not trying to be a wise ass. I've never done a race like that and drafting has not been a problem (that I've witnessed) at the smaller races I've done (though blocking always is). When I hear the numbers at IMFL, I just can't envision how, for example, a slower swimmer who is a stronger cyclist wouldn't have a nightmare of a time avoiding getting caught up in those situations where they're frustrated trying to work through a clog.

Not excusing. Just asking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice video. You could of shot another one of them lining up for IM gear and a tattoo too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not jumping on you, I know what a stand up dude you are from multiple people we have in common

I'm jumping on everyone who is complaining about the drafting. We all know that it's going to happen. Youtube is full of that sort of IMFL video already. IS it really a service to re-document what is already known?

But yet, people go to the race(s) year after year, then have the audacity to complain about it knowing full well what they are getting into. ST has had this same conversation now each of the last however many years I've been on this board.

If people really cared about the drafting they would either not do the race(s) that is/are know for drafting and/or they would actually bother to become a draft marshal for those races to solve the problem and/or do some other advocacy.

If you are paying to do that race you are part of the problem, even if you don't draft.

(yes I think the vid is pretty cool but I don't see it as a service)

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
service? What service? He bitched and whined (no offense) about the drafting, he admits to doing the race every year, which in effect is giving the nod to the status quo and reinforcing the business model for that race.

You want service? Instead of facilitating the problem, become a draft marshal. Write an email to the RD, USAT, WTC complaining about what is going on @ the race. Send in the footage showing how unsafe it is. That would be service. Bitching about and posting video over how butt sore you are about the drafting isn't a service.

Yes let us encourage people to become Marshals, but one thing has nothing to do with the other really.

Every time when we see still pictures of people drafting we hear everyone whining that it is just a moment in time and that it does not say anything. Here is some actual video and I actually appreciate seeing that I wasn't hallucinating when I raced there, or what I saw was not just an isolated incident.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet cam video ironman florida pelotons [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There are lots of simple ways to clean up IMFL. Strip the race of all of its Kona slots until it solves the drafting problem. Problem solved ;).
I doubt any of the guys in this video are Kona bound. The fast racers exited the water long ago. The OP swam a 1:16 and if this video is on highway 20, then this could be 30 minutes into the ride. So, anyone heading for a Kona spot, would of already been way down the road, with very few exceptions.

The video is awesome. Give my bike club 10 sets of these cameras and some two way radios. Me and 9 of my buds will spread out along the course, blend in with the riders, and fix the drafting issues.

The funniest thing to me is that there are likely numerous ST posters sweating more today than they did on race day.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet cam video ironman florida pelotons [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but we already knew that, for at least 5+ years.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Helmet cam video ironman florida pelotons [Tricky Dick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It's douchey because we all know that at Florida there is drafting. "we" as in the athletes, directors, promoters, sponsors et al. Taking an Iphone, and attaching cameras all over your bike to capture the drafting that "we" all know is happening is ridiculous. Don't race Florida and the race directors and promoters will take notice. But while they are constantly making money by continuously selling the event full, there will be no changes. Stop racing there and they will take notice. You don't really believe that the WTC doesn't know that there is drafting in Florida do you?

It is also douchey because the only reason the douche did the race was to get evidence of drafting. Save your entry for someone who wants to race. Make videos from the sidelines.

Hey numb nuts, if you have enough people complaining and shooting video you will be more effective then just not racing.... Shit i would like to see a marshall roll by one of these things on video. That would get us all talking.
Quote Reply

Prev Next