Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Helmet cam video ironman florida pelotons [Tricky Dick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am not too sure what is more douchey. The drafting happening or you taking your Iphone and plethora of cameras with you while "racing".

How is it douchey to provide some real evidence better than word of mouth that there are real drafting problems at some of these races?
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet cam video ironman florida pelotons [leggett24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think TD must of been caught in the video! :)

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am not too sure what is more douchey. The drafting happening or you taking your Iphone and plethora of cameras with you while "racing".
Two words.. BITE ME..
What iphone? I had a helmet camera mounted to my helmet all I had to do is flick a switch. Then I had an aero bar mounted camera running full time and one on my seat post.
If you think that s doucey you can kiss my (well you know what part of body I'm talking about)
Other than say some aerodynamic drag they had very little affect on my race or my handling ability. I did have my backup olympia waterproof camera which was held by a long string around my neck tucked into my desoto suit which you can see in the video.

I'm not some rookie here.. I've done 29 ironman races, done hawaii 7 times this was my 10th florida and I'm 54 years old so if thats douchy so beit I old enough I couldn't give a F....K anyway
I just got fed up with the drafting at florida these past 10 years I finally decided to whats the quote "if there aren't pics it didn't happen" well heres video and more than 20 seconds.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet cam video ironman florida pelotons [leggett24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's douchey because we all know that at Florida there is drafting. "we" as in the athletes, directors, promoters, sponsors et al. Taking an Iphone, and attaching cameras all over your bike to capture the drafting that "we" all know is happening is ridiculous. Don't race Florida and the race directors and promoters will take notice. But while they are constantly making money by continuously selling the event full, there will be no changes. Stop racing there and they will take notice. You don't really believe that the WTC doesn't know that there is drafting in Florida do you?

It is also douchey because the only reason the douche did the race was to get evidence of drafting. Save your entry for someone who wants to race. Make videos from the sidelines.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet cam video ironman florida pelotons [gholmes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As bad as that is, I wish the pack I was stuck in was that broken up. I wouldnt have been that upset.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet cam video ironman florida pelotons [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
At Beach2Battleship, after the first 5 miles of passing a few folks, I saw exactly two riders for the remaining 107 miles. What a contrast.

At IMFL, can it be avoided (I'm sure some of the blatant stuff can, but you get my drift) when you throw 3,000 people on a course in a short time span? I'm just asking. I haven't been there, so I don't know.
yes it can be avoided.. I've done 10 of them. I avoided it and I have video to back it up. Granted first 5 to 10 miles probably not.
BUT these guys there were gaps in front and in the rear I was by myself alot then bam here comes a pack its been like this every time I've done this race.
BUT if the riders don't make any attempt what ya going to do. I've sacraficed my race sometimes to avoid drafting trying to out ride them then pass them multiple times but they always speed up when you go by thinking about another free ride.
Granted 2800 people starting is just asking for trouble and with the head wind we had.
Louisville it was almost non existant at least the packs with the time trial start. Now the hill at 8 miles in the bike was a bit crowded but after that there were no packs that I saw at louisville.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet cam video ironman florida pelotons [AlexG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watching the video 2 things are clear---the drafting is bad, and you make the decision to be stuck in it or not. This Zapruder Holmes video is proof that you don't actually have to draft, you can let the pack go as he did.

But sure, you're upset. I believe you.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet cam video ironman florida pelotons [paul_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Did you knock anyone down? You look pretty unsteady out there.
BS... thats helmet cam I was turning my head to get the picture I was steady. Note I was riding to the far right on the bike path I stayed there when they passed.
My bike handling skills were not in question. When I get the other rear mount and aero bar mount cameras synched I'll synch with my gps data so you can get the speed we were going.
Might not work as well as my louisville video's because I had my front camera lock up at around 10 miles and had to power off and back on so I can't sync gps data with the bike start will
have to use the turn matt or one of the turns to get it all up.. Quicktime lets you create a text file and overlay that text on video at certain time points. I wrote a program to take my tcx file
from garmin output a video text file with each trackpoint with speed,heartrate,distance and then I overlay that on the video but it takes some time and I have to find sync points in the video
plus the gps lags a few seconds on the data but hopefully can get some of it to show the speeds.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet cam video ironman florida pelotons [snoots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I said 'potentially' caught up and frustrated...in my experience, it happens too. And from a MC it's hard to tell the difference. Blocking, maybe, but if you're overtaking, and the guy doesn't fall back, then where are you going to go? They're already 3 abreast, the only way to overtake further is to cross the centre line, also a no-no...

IMO, more consideration has to be given to INTENT - if you're head down, grinding in a pack to KC (i.e. cheating), it needs to be treated differently than if you're just benefiting from an overcrowded course. What would you say is the solution to what you see? They can't all drop back... I never said that penalties didn't need to be stiffer, nor that we didn't need more marshals...

If there is more video to watch, I'll watch it - great footage BTW...

This is a pretty piss-poor excuse. Drafting in triathlon is a penalty, like holding in football. The question is not why did it happen, what was the intent. It is simply, did it happen? If the answer is yes, then the penalty is called.
Certainly there are times that not drafting can be difficult (I am not saying this is or isn't one of them) but in the end it is your responsibility to not do it. It is the draft marshalls' responsibility to call you on it if you do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I just got fed up with the drafting at florida these past 10 years I finally decided to whats the quote "if there aren't pics it didn't happen" well heres video and more than 20 seconds.
I like the videos. Keep posting them.
But, in regards to the statement above... Everyone knows there is drafting in triathlon. And its not just a flat course issue. But, the racing reality is, if the course marshals didn't catch them, it didn't happen... That's the reality. Video is just video. But, damn good entertainment.

We need to stop making this issue less about venues and more about what the sanctioning body of triathlon will do to address the issue across all triathlons.

Heck, you can see drafting in the Computrainer Real Course Videos on all the courses.

I can't wait to hear the reports from the 120 mile draft-fest at Abu Dhabi. The distances in that race are a drafters dream event. Again, our sport is defective. We need the governance to address the issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is it legal to carry a camera with you on the bike?

That is some bad cheating. I've never seen anything like that.

Also, I tried to get a slot for IMFL and missed out! So sad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great shots.

You actually happened to catch some footage of a guy from my club who always braggs about his IM bike splits and insists that he always stays clean and never, ever drafts.

What a low life hypocrite!

Triathlon really has become the cess pool for scumbags.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I said 'potentially' caught up and frustrated...in my experience, it happens too. And from a MC it's hard to tell the difference. Blocking, maybe, but if you're overtaking, and the guy doesn't fall back, then where are you going to go? They're already 3 abreast, the only way to overtake further is to cross the centre line, also a no-no...

IMO, more consideration has to be given to INTENT - if you're head down, grinding in a pack to KC (i.e. cheating), it needs to be treated differently than if you're just benefiting from an overcrowded course. What would you say is the solution to what you see? They can't all drop back... I never said that penalties didn't need to be stiffer, nor that we didn't need more marshals...

If there is more video to watch, I'll watch it - great footage BTW...
Like I said these guys weren't even making an effort.. Now I will say if you watch the first few guys were passing the other they were fine then I think one more was making effort and then you had some riders in the rear trying to stay back out of the mess. BUT once I got this footage and did my dropping back I passed them just fine.. This was about 50 seconds of video.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It's douchey because we all know that at Florida there is drafting. "we" as in the athletes, directors, promoters, sponsors et al. Taking an Iphone, and attaching cameras all over your bike to capture the drafting that "we" all know is happening is ridiculous. Don't race Florida and the race directors and promoters will take notice. But while they are constantly making money by continuously selling the event full, there will be no changes. Stop racing there and they will take notice. You don't really believe that the WTC doesn't know that there is drafting in Florida do you?

It is also douchey because the only reason the douche did the race was to get evidence of drafting. Save your entry for someone who wants to race. Make videos from the sidelines.
READ MY LIPS You dumb MF like I said that wasn't an iphone thats against the rules no communication equipment.. It was a helmet cam It took no effort other than turn the damn cameras on.
I didn't do the race just to get evidence... I've done every florida except 2006. I did the race because I like doing ironman races I have friends with a beach house(the one with elvis and the girls all dressed up in costumes at mile 1) I do it every year with friends.. I just wanted to finally show some video of drafting. Your such a Douch bag

My post race hormones are acting up for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AWESOME!

As for the camera, they make some great helmet cams that I've seen motocross riders wear. I think you can get HD quality for up to 3 hours before the batteries go.

When are they going to wake up and have some type of wave format, especially on flat courses.

You've done your share of IMs and I'm close to your age and have done 14 IMs starting in the mid 90's. There has to be a solution. Waves, penalties, smaller fields, etc. It's been discussed but I haven't been back to IMFL since 2001 and have no plans of ever racing there again.

Can't wait to see the rest. I would send a copy to the WTC and the race director.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet cam video ironman florida pelotons [:D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
is it legal to carry a camera with you on the bike?

That is some bad cheating. I've never seen anything like that.

Also, I tried to get a slot for IMFL and missed out! So sad.
I've been carrying a camera for the last 4 years. First helmet camera. Probably will be illegal next year which is why I didn't post any louisville video which was my first ironman test run with bike mounted video cameras.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is time that douches who think they can draft and get away with it get exposed.

It is time that douches who take podium spots and IMH spots away from people who race honest and clean get wheeded out.

It is time for you to come out and admit that you are in the vid too.

Quote | Reply
We know and they know but as long as it's just talk they can deny and deny.
He paid his entry, he raced clean can you really complain?
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet cam video ironman florida pelotons [Yknot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drafting is a penalty, yes. But I liken it more to hockey: falling over a stick does not a tripping penalty make. It is your responsibility to make every effort to avoid drafting, to not be caught in a drafting situation. I never said that we shouldn't have more marshals, nor that drafting shouldn't be a penalty, just that there needs to be room for interpretation - which, IMO, is what does happen, WHEN marshals spot drafting. Not everyone caught in a pack is happy about being there, or trying to draft, regardless of whether or not they get some advantage from it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Priceless!

Quote | Reply
Awesome job. It's about time this behavior is recorded and exposed. Nice work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what cameras did you use? I've wanted to get a handlebar cam to catch vehicular assaults for a long time.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your service to the sport.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
During the first few seconds of the clip I thought you were the biggest winer ever...and then it started...that is unbelievable...I bet there won't be drafting next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet cam video ironman florida pelotons [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmm. Post pics of drafters? could be fun! Although you might cut the number of people willing to populate slowtwitch by a lot!

Thanks for the video, btw. Been there seen that. Blew myself up a bit last year trying to stay out of the packs. It can be avoided. No question about it.

Can't wait to see the rear shots! Actually hoping to see a few people that I know had way to fast bike splits.

NCCP certified Comp coach
Quote Reply

Prev Next