Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Helmet cam video ironman florida pelotons
Quote | Reply
I've uploaded my first video of the pelotons at ironman florida this less than a minute section is about 34 miles into the race.
This is from my helmet cam. I have video from the handheld olympus(you see in my hands in video) as well as one mounted under my front aero bar and a rear seat post mounted camera I hope to post later as well as some worse packs than this one later on as well as this same pack after I passed them going through the upcoming aid station then they repassed me again.
Been wanting to do this for years and worked out the kinks at ironman louisville with the cameras so enjoy even though you won't see this kind of blatant drafting at louisville.

I tried to find an appropriate sound track using youtubes audio swap but they didn't have "your cheatin heart" by hank williams.

More to come...(this was my 10th ironman florida so I've been there enough to see plenty of drafting.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbLbHfj7CNY
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet cam video ironman florida pelotons [gholmes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is priceless. So many violations, one doesn't know where to start. I'm so glad I only do shorter races that are devoid of such behavior

Thanks!

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thats why im never doing imfl
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've uploaded my first video of the pelotons at ironman florida this less than a minute section is about 34 miles into the race.
This is from my helmet cam. I have video from the handheld olympus(you see in my hands in video) as well as one mounted under my front aero bar and a rear seat post mounted camera I hope to post later as well as some worse packs than this one later on as well as this same pack after I passed them going through the upcoming aid station then they repassed me again.
Been wanting to do this for years and worked out the kinks at ironman louisville with the cameras so enjoy even though you won't see this kind of blatant drafting at louisville.

I tried to find an appropriate sound track using youtubes audio swap but they didn't have "your cheatin heart" by hank williams.

More to come...(this was my 10th ironman florida so I've been there enough to see plenty of drafting.)

Cool footage - but even cooler music!!!!

What a joke that is - but the organisors wouldn't give two hoots - it's all about cash cash cash to them and WTC.

It just looks like a dangerous place to be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh wow, this is gold. Lets play "spot the Slowtwitcher!"

Are you Canadian? If so you should get a Queen's birthday honour for services to the sport :)

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I liked all the guys just sitting up and coasting. Sure helps improve your run that way!

George

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that is awesome, that pack was soooooooo huge they were even crossing the centre line as well..................
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! That is sad.
Did anyone notice your cameras and say anything? Like "Please don't tell all my Slowtwitch friends I am one of THOSE guys?"

Quote | Reply
At Beach2Battleship, after the first 5 miles of passing a few folks, I saw exactly two riders for the remaining 107 miles. What a contrast.

At IMFL, can it be avoided (I'm sure some of the blatant stuff can, but you get my drift) when you throw 3,000 people on a course in a short time span? I'm just asking. I haven't been there, so I don't know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am almost certain I saw you on the course - black aero helmet with cam attached to right side? If so, you passed me on the first 7 mile stretch of the ride, so I can't be one of the guilty :)

Anyhow, great footage. Being that this was collected out on Hwy 20 (30+ miles into the race, into the headwind) it represents a good sampling what I saw occurring as well. None of this "it was real congested," "I couldn't 'not' draft," etc... It was 30 miles into the ride. Plenty of time to stretch things out.

As mentioned in another thread, the first penalty tent was full, but that was it. The other tents were EMPTY when I rode by. When I saw the first few peletons/pace lines go by and one small group get carded (on Hwy 79) I had faith that maybe the playing field was going to be leveled for the day. Nope, just for the first 35 miles...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Did you knock anyone down? You look pretty unsteady out there.
Last edited by: paul_tx: Nov 9, 09 13:59
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet cam video ironman florida pelotons [waitebe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Wow! That is sad.
Did anyone notice your cameras and say anything? Like "Please don't tell all my Slowtwitch friends I am one of THOSE guys?"
I had folks turn and smile for camera. Say hey is that a camera. I said yep and I just got video of you drafting..
I remember one girl much later in a smaller pack on 388 right after we turned from 77 to go west in a pack. "hey just another saturday group ride" no remorse whatsoever.
I've got more just got to get time to edit and post.

Wait until you see the rear camera shot.

I have some swim video as well first turn bouy crowd. Wetsuit strippers.etc from myhandheld waterproof.
I've been working on getting this last few years.

I actually called out some of the numbers on the audio track but I'm not quite ready to let that in the open and some of the things I was saying as they went by were well lets just say nice...
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet cam video ironman florida pelotons [waitebe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like a wack group ride. lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't wait to see the other videos...

You know if the bib numbers go public on slowtwitch, we will have their home addresses and wife's SSN on this thread in less than 10 minutes...a la Finman.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am almost certain I saw you on the course - black aero helmet with cam attached to right side? If so, you passed me on the first 7 mile stretch of the ride, so I can't be one of the guilty :)

Anyhow, great footage. Being that this was collected out on Hwy 20 (30+ miles into the race, into the headwind) it represents a good sampling what I saw occurring as well. None of this "it was real congested," "I couldn't 'not' draft," etc... It was 30 miles into the ride. Plenty of time to stretch things out.

As mentioned in another thread, the first penalty tent was full, but that was it. The other tents were EMPTY when I rode by. When I saw the first few peletons/pace lines go by and one small group get carded (on Hwy 79) I had faith that maybe the playing field was going to be leveled for the day. Nope, just for the first 35 miles...
I never saw a draft marshal at least that i could tell saw couple of motorcycles saying race support.
Early on I was starting to think hmmm maybe won't see the packs this year because last year there were some on 79 in first 10 miles(I don't expect things to break up before that on front beach road but the tail wind helped this year) But then they didn't dissapoint I looked in my mirror and sure enough here they came so I flipped on the helmet camera. My aerobar cameras were on all the time as was the rear(at least first 2 hours worth due to battery life).
Yes this is on 20 thats where every year this happens like I said my 10th ironman florida and I've witnessed this every year theres always(at least where I am)
2 to 3 packs with lots of empty space in between..
I passed these guys a little later as they clogged up at an aid station and then they passed me again I'll post that next still in a group.
Have some of the short out and back with a smaller group but much tighter.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet cam video ironman florida pelotons [Med Tent Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously, I only spotted 3 things that I would consider drafting 'violations' if I were mashalling; the rest are all people who were potentially just as frustrated by the congestion as the next guy.

When I did IMFL in 2007, there were instances where I either came up an a pack (I rode 5:34) or was overtaken. I sat up in each case, with one hand on the bar and the other on my hip, or taking a drink or eating or something; I did not INTEND to draft, therefore did not tuck in behind in aero, I pulled the parachute... but I wasn't going to slam on the brakes, either, due to the congestion on the course. I saw MC marshalls, shook my head, one even gave me a little finger salute...

It does come down to what many are saying - too many people on too little road at the same time, but the marshalls have to consider INTENT to properly enforce a clean race, IMO...
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet cam video ironman florida pelotons [snoots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Seriously, I only spotted 3 things that I would consider drafting 'violations' if I were mashalling; the rest are all people who were potentially just as frustrated by the congestion as the next guy.

When I did IMFL in 2007, there were instances where I either came up an a pack (I rode 5:34) or was overtaken. I sat up in each case, with one hand on the bar and the other on my hip, or taking a drink or eating or something; I did not INTEND to draft, therefore did not tuck in behind in aero, I pulled the parachute... but I wasn't going to slam on the brakes, either, due to the congestion on the course. I saw MC marshalls, shook my head, one even gave me a little finger salute...

It does come down to what many are saying - too many people on too little road at the same time, but the marshalls have to consider INTENT to properly enforce a clean race, IMO...
Thats just a snippit. don't give me that crap they just got caught up and were frustrated in the congestion.
Drafting,position violations,blocking its all there..
I have rear camera view and hand held which will show more. These guys were not frustrated they weren't moving they were coasting setting up relaxing no one made any effort to go past them or drop back. Yes there are a couple of guys who were up front who were not drafting and one or two moved through everyone but these folks were not frustrated.
about a minute after this they all came to an aid station and I passed them all pushed a little bit to get further away but as soon as they got through they caught back up with me(same people almost in same position) then they went by again. I'll post that next. Trust me I know the difference in drafting I've been experiencing this for 10 years at ironman florida.. this was my 29th ironman race. I spent most of the year finding the right cameras and testing them in races just for this race.
Last edited by: gholmes: Nov 9, 09 14:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Best video ever! I am shocked even though i've heard about the drafting for a long time. Soft pedaling and not in aero...who can see numbers and shame these cheaters publicly!?

"the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight." - Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great video, what equipment did you use to take.

Man, if that is how many IM's are, not thanks. A lot of them seem to just be out for a weekend recovery ride. Guess this is why I love the shorter stuff,
it is pedal to the medal the entire race!!!

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw a couple pelotons WAY worse than that at IMC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are just about all wearing aero helments. Which means there are going to be lots so STer's in there. (Because ST is just about the only place people drink the aero helment koolaid for 112 mile rides.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great shots.
Please share the rest.
Also show us the set-up of your helmet or bike with the cams.
Thanks for sharing,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you get any shots of the lead Age Groupers on the out-and-back? You know, the guys that go 9:10 in Florida with 65 minute swims and then get their asses handed to them in Kona? I'd enjoy that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not too sure what is more douchey. The drafting happening or you taking your Iphone and plethora of cameras with you while "racing".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I said 'potentially' caught up and frustrated...in my experience, it happens too. And from a MC it's hard to tell the difference. Blocking, maybe, but if you're overtaking, and the guy doesn't fall back, then where are you going to go? They're already 3 abreast, the only way to overtake further is to cross the centre line, also a no-no...

IMO, more consideration has to be given to INTENT - if you're head down, grinding in a pack to KC (i.e. cheating), it needs to be treated differently than if you're just benefiting from an overcrowded course. What would you say is the solution to what you see? They can't all drop back... I never said that penalties didn't need to be stiffer, nor that we didn't need more marshals...

If there is more video to watch, I'll watch it - great footage BTW...
Quote Reply

Prev Next