Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mavic Comete - $1,800.00?
Quote | Reply
My curiosity has gotten the best of me...

Can anyone explain why a Mavic Comete disc wheel costs (retail) as much as my P2K did?

It appears to be among the heaviest discs at around 1300g. So that ain't it.

If you could get a brand new mavic disc at half the cost (theoretically, of course), is $900 still overpriced?

Woody

Mike Hollywood
http://www.bostontriathlonteam.com
http://www.michaelhollywood.com
Quote Reply
Re: Mavic Comete - $1,800.00? [Woody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's my take. You are spending the extra grad to get the lenticular shape and the mavic hub. Two things I really don't think do squat. And Mavic can probably charge more because All the Pro's ride them (They ride'em cause they get paid to.) Personaly I would rather have a flat disc then the lense shape. As I see it, it only hurts aerodynamics. My advice If you want lenticular go with the HED. It's lighter also. But, money being no object go with the ZIPP. Light, the most aero, and downright sexy. Money being an issue the RENN is the obvious choice. It's lighter than the HED, just slightly less aero. (Maybe up to ten second in a 40K; nothing noticable.)

My three cents.

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Re: Mavic Comete - $1,800.00? [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Here's my take. You are spending the extra grad to get the lenticular shape and the mavic hub. Two things I really don't think do squat."

Might want to check that comment, b/c those two things DO squat and more. A flat disc is not more aero than a lenticular (it's vice versa...all of the original drag #'s were based on lens), and mavic makes some of the best hubs going- I know people will flame me for this-, but even better than a campy or zipp.

Lets put it this way, they are expensive, but if you can justify a dimpled zipp than you can justify a few $100 more for a mavic.

Just my .02 worth-

http://www.reathcon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Mavic Comete - $1,800.00? [Woody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it is highly overpriced. You can get a Renn that is lighter, easily available (5 week lead time), and a better value.

It is very unlikely that the Comete would ever be available half-price. That is because it is one of their boutique wheels, and like the $5000 I/O, is purposely kept in low production (i.e. special order, made only when you order it) to keep prices and desirability high.
Quote Reply
Re: Mavic Comete - $1,800.00? [Rob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
and mavic makes some of the best hubs going- I know people will flame me for this-, but even better than a campy or zipp.
You can't beat a Mavic hub, imho. And it does make difference. Cheap bearings are a drag!

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
I politely disagree [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
    I still say the Lense disc idea is very debateable. John Cobb had been saying they are slightly more aero in a crosswind, but head-on you can't beat a flat disc.
As far as spending a little more for the Comete, as opposed to the Zipp, The dimples are supposed to improve crosswind handling. Possibly more than just being lense shaped. And while you said that the Mavic hub is better, I don't think it is going to make much difference compared to a Zipp or a HED. I believe on anything other than a completly flat course the weight difference is going to make more of an impact.

Ze Gopha says "Buy American"
Quote Reply
Re: Mavic Comete - $1,800.00? [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The hub on my 2003 Zipp 404 "feel" nicer than my Cosmic Elite. Don't underestimate the 2003 Zipp hubs.
Quote Reply
Re: Mavic Comete - $1,800.00? [stretch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The hub on my 2003 Zipp 404 "feel" nicer than my Cosmic Elite. Don't underestimate the 2003 Zipp hubs.
Well lets see, you just compared Zipp's high end $1400 wheelset to Mavic's lower end $380 wheelset. I would hope those Zipp 84/202 hubs would at least "feel" better Mavic's inexpensive QRM hubs. I would hope a BMW rides better than a Ford Focus also- I would hate to underestimate it.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: Mavic Comete - $1,800.00? [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Errr.. sorry.. not Cosmic.. I meant Ksyrium Elites, which have the FTS hub. To my understanding, their top of the line hub. As stated in my previous post the 404 hubs feels better than the Mavic hubs.. but the rear 404 hub has a little play, which concerns me.

mike
Quote Reply