Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First Ironman
Quote | Reply
Hey ladies!

I am...[gasp] signed up for my first ironman! :-) I have been competing in triathlons for about 8 years now...have done numerous sprint/olympics, 1 half-ironman (wildflower), and 3 marathons...I was on a cycling team this past year and also did some bike racing (crits/road races/etc.)...

That said...I'm nervous! Any tips from a women's perspective on what's worked for you? Would love to have some input. I have a coach who has coached me in several races and I really trust him...always have had success with him. But just ... would like any input/tips from you all! And also from the men that lurk in the women's...

:-)
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman [tridouche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just encourage u to enjoy the journey of training. I think we too often get caught up in 'race day' that we forget to focus on 'the now' during the 8+ months of training. Best of luck to u.

Quote | Reply
Consistency in training.

Getting to the starting line uninjured and slightly undertrained is better than the opposite.

Get your diet in order, and sort out nutrition on long training sessions.

Make sure you are very comfy on your bike set-up (esp saddle) as you will spend a lot of time on it.

Rest is part of your training.

Nothing new on race day.

Plan the race then race the plan. Keep Plans B and C in your back pocket, just in case.

Don't let the things you can't control bother you (weather, etc.). Focus on what you CAN control (your emotions, your actions, etc.).

When you start feeling crummy, take in some quick carbs and smile - you will feel better.

ENJOY race day. It's a blast.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 very important points that made me strong for IMC '09

Be very very very strong on the bike. Long rides . And last few weeks before taper, long hilly rides where you think you going to die followed by 30 to an hour runs.

Work on "race day nutrition" on those long rides and long brick workouts. What works what doesn't.

Lots of swimming and the more in open water the better. I am not a strong swimmer but I get out of 3.8k with lots of energy for the rest of the race.

Being strong on the bike and race day nutrition gave me what I wanted for my first Ironman...

I know i need to get stronger on the run but I was happy with my results for now.

http://www.arthelenegirard.com/
Painting training always ...
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman [Sweety] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the tips! :-) One quick thing...how many of you eat "real" food and how many of you eat more like the gels/bars/etc.? Just wondering what people are eating out there...it's a long time to be out there and I'm wondering if I'll physically reject gel #10. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks everyone for the tips! :-) One quick thing...how many of you eat "real" food and how many of you eat more like the gels/bars/etc.? Just wondering what people are eating out there...it's a long time to be out there and I'm wondering if I'll physically reject gel #10. :-)
It is all a case by case. There is no one nutrition plan. You can follow a plan and adapt it to your needs.
On top of being individual to our needs, we have to deal with "heat" and "intensity" during the race. so it is all about experiencing.

Personally I had a "big chocolate bar" right after the swim to give me a kick start.
I force fed myself on the bike with energy bars, half a banana, gel, gatorade, water and gels and mineral tablets. Not to the point of feeling sick but I had to force myself to ingests even if I didn't feel hunger.
On the run it is all gel and water at one station, gatorade at the next station, alternating for the 26 miles. Worked great for me on "that" day.

I practice nutrition on training days and the mineral tablets as well.

Heat and intensity plays a vital role in how your stomach will react.

http://www.arthelenegirard.com/
Painting training always ...
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman [Sweety] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 on the chocolate bar here as well. It wasn't in my original plan but had put a snickers in my special needs bag for lap 2 of the bike (just in case). And let me tell you that was THE BEST snickers bar I've EVER had!

For the most part though, during your training you'll want to get all these nutritions questions ironed out for you. Try new things to see how your body handles it and by race day you should have it all dialed in (that is until the race day/course/weather conditions throws you a curve ball and you have to make 'on the spot' nutrition decisions). :o)

Quote | Reply
I have done 2 IMs. The first I did a liquid only with infinit on the bike and switching to water, cola, chicken broth, and maybe a gel on the run. I likely had some gatorade on the run as well. I had a can of coke and a candy bar in special needs on the bike and some swedish fish in special needs on the run (although I didn't want these when I got to them). I thought it worked out ok for me. I did have some stomach issues about 1/2 way through the run.

I had planned on sticking with a similar plan for IM #3 but when training for the second, most of my early season training was done on gatorade and real food like uncrustables, swiss rolls, and other random candy. When I started back on my planned IM plan of infinit, I realized I felt better with the gatorade and real food. I ended up racing with gatorade and uncrsutables on the bike and switching to water, gatorade, grapes, and potato chips on the run. I also added coke after the mile 15 mark of the run. Bike special needs included some pringles, a candy bar, and coke but I was feeling so good that I didn't want any of it. Run special needs had chips and gum. The gum was the best gum I ever had. So nice having something minty after all day of sweets. And barely no stomach issues at IM #2!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ate real food and ended up running from 1 toilet to another but I think it depends on your tolerance. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With all the engineered food out there I found the only things I could eat during my training and racing were fig newtons (preferably left out overnight so there were a little stale) and entemenn's doughnuts. Yes, doughnuts. But those were the only two things I could consistently keep down and gave me enough energy and calories to keep going.

Nothing like stopping into the store in your full biking gear and picking up a 12-pack of doughnuts!

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I personally think it's worthwhile to practice with what is available on the course, otherwise, you have to carry a lot of your own stuff.

I can't do solids, but a piece of banana on the bike course was great! And yes, eventually the gels can cause some rebellion too. Practice your nutrition!
Quote Reply