Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Non-wetsuit swim -- bra and tri shorts under swimsuit?
Quote | Reply
I will be doing a non-wetsuit IM swim in Cozumel in a few weeks. I do not own a speed suit. However, I would like to minimize the length of time I spend swimming and in T1. My question is whether I should wear my sports bra and tri shorts under my 1-piece swim suit for the swim. The sports bra and tri shorts alone (with no swimsuit over them) create too much drag. When I raced IM Hawaii in 2005 (the only other IM I've done that's non wetsuit), I saw some women with their sports bras on under their bathing suits, but no one with bras and shorts on under their suits. I swam in a bathing suit only, which was fine during the swim, but when I got to T1, it took me forEVER to pull a dry sports bra on over my wet body, and it was almost as hard to pull on dry shorts. I don't want to waste that much time in Cozumel. I don't mind jumping on the bike with wet shorts or a wet bra; I'm wondering what will be fastest. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Non-wetsuit swim -- bra and tri shorts under swimsuit? [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sports bra under the suit, definitely. I would find shorts that have a drawstring and wear them over the suit. Swim and race the whole she-bang in that get up. I find it quite comfy ;-)

Also keep in mind: being an IM, you may want to take the suit off and put shorts on anyways - salt water swim and all. The time you spend in T1 may be worth it for the comfort later in the day.

Good luck!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Non-wetsuit swim -- bra and tri shorts under swimsuit? [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any girl looking for buying an eye-catching swimwear then once visit here for getting cute dresses for swimming
http://www.verysexybikini.com/bikinis_onsale.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done races in the 2XU elite tri suit with a sports bra underneath. You can do the whole race in it (but I've never done races in salt water so I don't know that will be a problem for you). I really like this suit and I think its really comfortable. I bought mine online but I can't remember the name of the store. They were selling older models and I got one for ~$100.

I think cycling 180km in a bathing suit would result in some serious discomfort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's what I do for non-wetsuit swims. Then I just pull the suit off as I'm coming out of the water.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Non-wetsuit swim -- bra and tri shorts under swimsuit? [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with you on the "bathing suit + 180km bike ride = serious discomfort" equation. There is no way I'll do the race in a bathing suit. Sounds like mmrocker's tried what I was considering (wear the bra and tri shorts under the suit and strip the suit off in T1). I'll try that in a pool and see what it feels like and how much drag it introduces.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your suit is in decent condition, and not really baggy, I'd say it's not much different at all than swimming in a regular suit. I HATE swimming in just my sport bra and tri shorts...I feel like a parachute.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Non-wetsuit swim -- bra and tri shorts under swimsuit? [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm so glad to hear that, because that's exactly what I feel like when I swim in only a sports bra and tri-shorts. It's like I'm pulling a parachute behind me. Easily a few seconds per 100 slower than in just a swimsuit, and it's worse the faster I try to go.
Quote Reply