Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Polar CS500 coming in Spring 2010 SNEAK PREVIEW
Quote | Reply
Hi St'ers
Myself and Chris@Polar decided to post this since Polar launched this for retailers at Interbike and now it is surfacing on various boards and YOUTUBE. Polar has announced the new CS500 cycling training computer for Spring of 2010. I did not see a live unit since they were locked in Chris's office and he took a sick day :( What I thought was cool from a web based training session was the Rocker Bike Mount, which the videos will show. With your thumbs, you can change the display by pressing down on the left and right most edges. so while climbing with hands near the stem, you can switch to the altimeter display. The CS500 will easily mount on the handlebar stem. The CS500 also a DRINK REMINDER timer which you can customize the message, maybe like DRINK UP, FUEL UP, PwerGel Time, etc. Enjoy the video links.

http://www.facebook.com/....php?v=1232865911769
http://www.youtube.com/...&feature=channel

Last edited by: wvarta.PolarRep: Oct 9, 09 11:57
Quote Reply
Re: Polar CS500 coming in Spring 2010 SNEAK PREVIEW [wvarta.PolarRep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will it use W.I.N.D. technology?

http://www.verynooty.com
Quote Reply
Re: Polar CS500 coming in Spring 2010 SNEAK PREVIEW [BigH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Will it use W.I.N.D. technology?
Yes. And be compatible with all the WIND cycling sensors including Power
Last edited by: Chris@Polar: Oct 9, 09 13:21
Quote Reply
Re: Polar CS500 coming in Spring 2010 SNEAK PREVIEW [BigH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it will, which means the speed and cad sensors will work off the rear wheel and it is compatible with the WIND Power Sensor. The CS500 will use the same WIND Wear Link as the RS800 units.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar CS500 coming in Spring 2010 SNEAK PREVIEW [wvarta.PolarRep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are the odds we both answered at the same time. Customer Service :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great, thanks for the quick reply. Can't wait to get my hands on one.

http://www.verynooty.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
S....W....E....E....T.... Kinda giving that RS800 styling w/ a cycling computer. Thanks wvarta and Chris! Hope all is well in Polar land!
Quote Reply
Re: Polar CS500 coming in Spring 2010 SNEAK PREVIEW [offthebackagain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a little confused why Polar aren't going the ANT+ route. Sure it could be argued that opening up to ANT+ means people can use other sensors with Polar computers, hence losing Polar revenue in that area, but Polar are ruling themselves out of the market for people with SRM, PT or Quarq.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar CS500 coming in Spring 2010 SNEAK PREVIEW [Rouleur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The company behind ANT is Dynastream Innovations Inc. Dynastream was established in 1998 and became a wholly owned subsidiary of Garmin(R) Ltd. in December 2006. Dynastream is based in Cochrane, Alberta, Canada, and is a world-leader in the research and development of inertial and wireless technology. Dynastream was first recognised for its patented motion analysis technology which has been incorporated in industry leading products by Nike Inc., Polar Electro Oy, Suunto Oy

I am only guessing, I am not behind the scenes, the closed doors in Finland. It might be similar to Coke not supporting Pepsi, Shimano vs SRAM vs Campy, Verizon vs Optimum, Yankee vs Red Sox. Dynatream makes the Polar footpods(accelerometers), then Garmin buys them Dynastream. Polar might have trouble supporting Garmin and getting or paying for rights to ANT+??? Do not count Polar out, the CS500 is moving in the right direct with more to come, Chris and I at Polar will reveal more when we can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A fair point, but if you look at http://www.thisisant.com/features/proven-apps, Polar Electro Oy is pretty conspicuous in their absence from the list of partners.

Looking at the CS500, it looks like a nice product, better looking than the PowerTap Joule 2.0 for example. If it supported the ANT+ protocol it would have a lot more potential customers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey,

Just wanted to chime in a bit:) From what I know, we actually did not move with the Ant+ technology because we have invested quite a bit of time and money on the development of a new protocol. A protocol we believe will be the gold standard, and will pretty much open the door for a bigger convergence and could even force other manufacturers to play nice with the technology.

There was some serious thinking on Ant+, and us not moving in that direction was definitely not us "not playing nice in the sandbox". Just thinking a bit bigger I suppose:)

Hope this answers your question.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Polar CS500 coming in Spring 2010 SNEAK PREVIEW [Chris@Polar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply, so the CS500 might be a replacement for my trusty S720i on the bike then. ;)

Do you know the expected price point?

Allen.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar CS500 coming in Spring 2010 SNEAK PREVIEW [Chris@Polar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey,

Just wanted to chime in a bit:) From what I know, we actually did not move with the Ant+ technology because we have invested quite a bit of time and money on the development of a new protocol. A protocol we believe will be the gold standard, and will pretty much open the door for a bigger convergence and could even force other manufacturers to play nice with the technology.

There was some serious thinking on Ant+, and us not moving in that direction was definitely not us "not playing nice in the sandbox". Just thinking a bit bigger I suppose:)

Hope this answers your question.

Chris

Uh oh...let the standard wars begin! I love my Polar RS200, but given the lack of ANT+ switched to the Garmin 310XT which can give me power info from my PT (not to mention HRM compatibility).

It has to be a tough call to play ball with a new technology or go it alone, but I'd be very curious what makes this new Polar technology the "gold standard" over ANT+ which seems to be living up to it's claims...at least thus far.

Fred
Last edited by: sailnfast: Oct 11, 09 21:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Alan
Your S275 might just be the back up unit or the left on the indoor bike( or are you one of those lucky guy where it is never cold). Price with HR (of course) should be $300 or slightly above that? Thanks for your interest
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you guys make such cool stuff ????? Into the kids college fund I will have to go again. Damn you guys..... just got a V2 for my two bikes a couple months ago!!!! Off ot St classified the v2 might go.

Re: Polar CS500 coming in Spring 2010 SNEAK PREVIEW [sailnfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on why is it better?

Are you going to be able to swim with it?

Tell the guy with the trek with built in sensors that ant+ isn't as good. I don't have a crystal ball to see where the power and sensor thing is going, but have this nagging feeling that at some point our gadgets will be built into the frames, who ever has the most compatibility at a good price will win. I am pulling for Polar because I love the software, just wish they thought of their products as part of a total system an athlete uses, not "we have a new watch, dump all your stuff and upgrade".

Way too many of us have more than one bike and this upgrade stuff gets expensive!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"...the CS500 is moving in the right direct with more to come..."

I hope this means that they are re-thinking their power meter technology.
If they got this right ANT+ would be a non-issue.

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Polar CS500 coming in Spring 2010 SNEAK PREVIEW [sub-3-dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what exactly is the new cool part to this new computer?

i have had a bad experience with the proprietary download (almost non-functional) capability of the RS200. holding up the watch to a pc computer microphone - in the 21st century ??? - tech fail!

i wont go proprietary again for my gadgets.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar CS500 coming in Spring 2010 SNEAK PREVIEW [ramasan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The download will be a new Datalink technology. A USB adapter using WIND technology, the sync will be instant without any hassle.

Regarding the protocol response to the Ant+ Q's - Although I believe we have invested in the development, this is not a proprietary Polar technology. Clicky here.
Last edited by: Chris@Polar: Oct 12, 09 6:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, but I think Polar is missing the boat. What was better Beta or VHS? HD-dvd or Blu-ray? Windows or Mac. Bottom line is most of the time the
"better" technology does not "win". I could not see myself buying any product without ANT+ now. Us customers are NOT interested in the company battles.
We want compatibility!!!!

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Polar has missed the boat also. I currently use Polar on my bikes and on my wrist. I am in the market for a new watch for next season. I will be switching over to Garmin from now on. The fact that Polar does not support ANT+ is a big deal.

I had stayed with Polar because Polar was the only waterproof watch. That is not the case anymore.

When will you listen to your customers?
Last edited by: Raptor: Oct 12, 09 7:11
Quote Reply
Re: Polar CS500 coming in Spring 2010 SNEAK PREVIEW [Raptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To the two posters above me... You want compatibility? Click the link I posted.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
...It might be similar to Coke not supporting Pepsi,...

Its not like Coke supporting Pepsi. Its like Toshiba losing tons of market share because they backed HD-DVD instead of Blu-Ray. After a year out of the market, they finally came out with their own Blu-Ray player.

Like it or not, ANT+ has become the defacto standard.

And because your new cycling computer does not support ANT+, I find nothing exciting about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar CS500 coming in Spring 2010 SNEAK PREVIEW [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I completely agree that Polar is missing market share by not making this unit ANT+ compatible. Polar is not going to be able to shift the market direction on this one. If all the power meters are not ANT+ and all the after market head units are ANT+ receptive then what is the need for the CS500? It is just another (admittedly slick and feature rich) headunit which doesn't support power features. I am sure polar wants to be a market leader as opposed to making me-too products but sometimes companies have to cut their losses and eat humble pie for market share.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar CS500 coming in Spring 2010 SNEAK PREVIEW [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone seems to be missing the point that Garmin are inferior products.

From my experience, they use what I call 'Duct-tape design methodology':

Take a bit of this, a bit of that and attempt to stick it all together. In essence a flawed bottom-up methodology.

Although I have never worked with either company, the finished product seems to me to show evidence that Polar actually have a top-down approach that includes feasibility and design phase in their development process. The finished product is cleaner.

As I said, compatibility only becomes an issue when their complete product portfolio is not up to scratch - in this case the power meter is an issue.
The analogy with VHS and Beta is verging on nonsense: We don't put different tapes/discs into the unit every day like a media player. We set it up and we're done.

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next