Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kestrel Wind tunnel data [Dave Luscan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
A little birdie told me that "things were done very fairly to all bikes in the test. The Kestrel is quite impressive" This little birdie was very close to the action and impartial.

If this were the case, then why would they not release a detailed testing protocol? Failure to provide data is always a bad thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel Wind tunnel data [Andrew V] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If this were the case, then why would they not release a detailed testing protocol? Failure to provide data is always a bad thing.

steve h (sharad here) promised us at the show that they would publish the details and as TomA mentioned be as transparent as possible.

He did say he was looking forward to the st thread on the topic, so I assume he is watching this (hi steve!) and will chime in eventually...

G

greg
www.wattagetraining.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
A little birdie told me that "things were done very fairly to all bikes in the test. The Kestrel is quite impressive" This little birdie was very close to the action and impartial.

Then how does one explain the extremely high drag for the P3? The only answer that really makes sense (and is consistent with both Steve H.'s interview and the description on the graphic from xtri.com) is that it was tested with stock wheels.

BTW, does anyone know if the 4000 is UCI legal? I've received conflicting opinions...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

But . . . but . . . but . . . Dr. Coggan implied otherwise!?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
""things were done very fairly to all bikes in the test"

Fairly is a relative term, depending on the philosphy used during the testing. Most companies are controlling out the non-proprietary gear to the greatest extent possible. In the absence of information about the specific setups on the bikes in the graph, and given the statement about essentially stock bikes, Kestrel appears to have changed that philosophy to be able to say "Look, the bike we give you at our MSRP is faster than the bikes these others give you at their MSRPs." (I'm still holding out that even if they took that tack, they would at least control out the wheels since those are the most likely suspects to be changed out by consumers in a race situation...and since, as others have noted, deep aero wheels vs stock aluminum clincher wheels leads directly to complete non-sequitur with this data set).

If that is, in fact, the case, as a consumer, I can appreciate that approach...even if the engineer in me wants to crawl down into the weeds and demand a complete apples-to-apples approach, since I'm unlikely to buy a stock bike anyway. I mean...take a look at any P3-infested transition area. By and large what you'll find are stock P3s with some Zipps, Heds or somesuch for wheels. Same with Spec transitions, Felt DAs, etc. So apparently, the average consumer isn't inclined to take the time to dig into each and every part of a bike's setup to determine the efficacy of the system. All they are concerned with is which of the bikes is going to be faster when they stick their Zipp 808s on it. That involves the entire system, not just the frame and proprietary fork, seatpost, headset, and/or stem.

Just a loose thought train... while I take a break from the engineering weeds here at work! ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel Wind tunnel data [ndenezzo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Ok, so I may have exaggerated a little bit. I do trust the manufacturer data enough to place each bike into a specific category (in this case, the P4, Kestrel, Shiv, Giant, Trek SpeedConcept, etc. category).

Ummm...I don't know if I'd place the 4000 into that "upper tier" just yet, especially based on that chart...since none of the others were represented and it's unknown what wheels were on the P3.

In any case, people are losing sight of some other bikes on there and how the data can be placed in context. For example, the Airfoil Pro "as recieved/tested" has values that are VERY similar to those shown for that bike in the Cervelo data that was assumedly run with deep wheels on the bikes (we know at least the airfoil had a rear disc). In that case there's an ~80gf difference at zero yaw between the Airfoil Pro and the P3. Judging by THAT, from what we know now (and making the reasonable assumption that the P3 in the Kestrel test was run with Shimano R-550 wheels) I'd put the 4000 more in the P3, P2, DA, TTX, Transition "tier" of bikes...which actually matches my "gut feel" of where it would fall when looking at the frame in person.

So...I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess which models of each bike were tested by Kestrel:

2009 P3
2010 Kestrel 4000 LTD
2010 Fuji D-6 RC Matt Reed Edition
Kestrel Airfoil Pro Special Edition

We'll see how well that matches up when (and if) that info is finally revealed ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel Wind tunnel data [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
""things were done very fairly to all bikes in the test"

Fairly is a relative term, depending on the philosphy used during the testing. Most companies are controlling out the non-proprietary gear to the greatest extent possible. In the absence of information about the specific setups on the bikes in the graph, and given the statement about essentially stock bikes, Kestrel appears to have changed that philosophy to be able to say "Look, the bike we give you at our MSRP is faster than the bikes these others give you at their MSRPs."

Assuming (always a dangerous thing) that was indeed their thinking and how the bikes were tested, then it would also only be fair to list the MSRPs:

Kestrel 4000 LTD: $10829
Cervelo P3: either $3600 or $4500 depending on spec

So IOW, you could buy two Ultegra-equipped P3s and a set of Zipp race wheels for the price of the Kestrel, have one bike for training and one just for racing, and likely not give up anything in the aero drag department...
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Oct 8, 09 7:44
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel Wind tunnel data [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've seen a 4000 in person, Tom?
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel Wind tunnel data [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Yup...touched it too...while I was standing next to, and conversing with, Steve Harad :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel Wind tunnel data [hgrong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

But . . . but . . . but . . . Dr. Coggan implied otherwise!?!

It was actually ATC who first suggested that perhaps the bikes weren't fitted with the same wheels:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=2534689#2534689

All I've said is that explanation makes sense given the high drag for the P3, the statements on the original graph, and Steve Harad's interview on xtri.com. If there is some other logical explanation, then I'm all ears...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I guess that all depends on your (or the birdie's) definition of "fair"...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Yup...touched it too...
Ah, so that explains it - should we start calling you Midas now? ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel Wind tunnel data [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Yup...touched it too...

Trust me, if you see how most of my projects around my house have been turning out lately...you'd start calling me the "anti-Midas" :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Yup...touched it too...

Trust me, if you see how most of my projects around my house have been turning out lately...you'd start calling me the "anti-Midas" :-)
Everything has been turning into lead, eh? ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel Wind tunnel data [gregclimbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

steve h (sharad here) promised us at the show that they would publish the details and as TomA mentioned be as transparent as possible.

He did say he was looking forward to the st thread on the topic, so I assume he is watching this (hi steve!) and will chime in eventually...

G

Yeah...he DID say he somewhat enjoyed spinning up us "propeller heads" a bit, didn't he? Hi STEVE! :-P

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess which models of each bike were tested by Kestrel:

2009 P3
2010 Kestrel 4000 LTD

Doesn't that version of the Fuji come with high-zoot aero wheels? Based on the data, I'd expect it to have been tested with wheels similar to those on the P3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess which models of each bike were tested by Kestrel:

2009 P3
2010 Kestrel 4000 LTD

Doesn't that version of the Fuji come with high-zoot aero wheels? Based on the data, I'd expect it to have been tested with wheels similar to those on the P3.

Yup...1080s...that's why I guessed that one. Has any other data you've seen on the D6 been "bike only" (like apparently this data is)?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

2009 P3
2010 Kestrel 4000 LTD

Yup...1080s...that's why I guessed that one. Has any other data you've seen on the D6 been "bike only" (like apparently this data is)?
So you're saying that you think a Fuji D-6 needs to be fitted with Zipp 1080 wheels to match the drag of a Cervelo P3 fitted with Shimano R-550 wheels? I haven't seen any bike-only data to suggest otherwise, but still...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is absolutely no way that they bikes were tested with different wheels. It IS entirely possible that they were tested with the wheels that made the Kestrel bicycles look the best, but surely they were identical across the 4 models.

On the topic of the Cervelo data on the P3 vs Airfoil, I suspect that was done with the 2008 model of Airfoil, so the only constant between this new test and the Cervelo data is the P3 itself. Unfortunately that hasn't left us with much to go on.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

2009 P3
2010 Kestrel 4000 LTD

So you're saying that you think a Fuji D-6 needs to be fitted with Zipp 1080 wheels to match the drag of a Cervelo P3 fitted with Shimano R-550 wheels? I haven't seen any bike-only data to suggest otherwise, but still...

Judging by the width of that seat tube/brake area, along with the "truncated" back half...oh, and also that silly behind the fork brake (with the attendant brake housing hanging out in the breeze)...well, yeah...let's just say I wouldn't expect it to be close to a P3C with the SAME "low line" wheels on both ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Then how does one explain the extremely high drag for the P3? The only answer that really makes sense (and is consistent with both Steve H.'s interview and the description on the graphic from xtri.com) is that it was tested with stock wheels.

BTW, does anyone know if the 4000 is UCI legal? I've received conflicting opinions...
I don't understand the gripe here. They put on the graph that they tested the bikes as they would be delivered to the consumer. This would imply stock wheels for all the bikes. This seems like a fair test when directed to the consumer who isn't interested in and doesn't want to spend a couple of thousand more bucks after receiving the bike in order to make it even faster (probably the majority of them, none of whom hang out here).

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel Wind tunnel data [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There is absolutely no way that they bikes were tested with different wheels. It IS entirely possible that they were tested with the wheels that made the Kestrel bicycles look the best, but surely they were identical across the 4 models.

Ummm...how do you square your opinion with this quote from Steve Harad (bold added)?

Quote:
Well, we are going to put the wind tunnel data out shortly and Xtri will get the information right after Interbike.. Just know that we not only tested 20% faster then the Cervelo P3 and we also believe we have come up with the standard on testing. The concept is that I want to test bike vs. bike. Exactly how the consumer gets it. No cheating. It is helpful to the consumer to see what the bike on the floor of the bike shop tests, not just the frame or a partially assembled bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

2009 P3
2010 Kestrel 4000 LTD

Judging by the width of that seat tube/brake area, along with the "truncated" back half...oh, and also that silly behind the fork brake (with the attendant brake housing hanging out in the breeze)...well, yeah...let's just say I wouldn't expect it to be close to a P3C with the SAME "low line" wheels on both ;-)
How about the same "high zoot" wheels and a rider aboard?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Before or after bikes get shipped to Rwanda? ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

2009 P3
2010 Kestrel 4000 LTD

How about the same "high zoot" wheels and a rider aboard?

Then...all bets are off...

Quote Reply

Prev Next