Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can you pinch a nerve in your shoulder while sleeping?
Quote | Reply
A few times in the last couple of weeks I've woken up with pretty severe pain in my left shoulder. Each time I'm on my back with my upper body rotated just a bit to the left, so I really don't have any weight on my right side but there's some additional weight on my shoulder. I shift around (even laying directly on my left side) and all is good.

I've never had this happen before, and it doesn't seem to be an injury. That's the only time I notice anything out of the ordinary with the shoulder and I'm swimming 2x a week instead of 3-4x and < 1/2 my typical volume. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Can you pinch a nerve in your shoulder while sleeping? [00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
one can pinch a nerve and damage it permanently or semi-permanently, but usually alcohol is involved (i.e., the person goes to sleep totally drunk). some more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radial_neuropathy

not likely that this is happening in your case.

it wouldn't be a bad idea for you to get an exam and some expert advice about this ...

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I broke an ankle while sleeping ( was fine before I went to bed, woke up with a sore ankle, took one step fell over in pain, off to the ER ).

Pinching a nerve should be well within the realm of possibility
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course you can.

My shoulders are so f'ed up from swimming in H.S. that for a long time i had to strap myself to my bed so I couldnt roll onto my left side at all while sleeping because i got sick of waking up in pain the way you are explaining.

My physical therapist always shows me new ways to work on my posterior deltoids, might be good for you to focus on for a little while in the gym, ( just friendly advise- I'm not a PT)- have a look here.. http://www.exrx.net/...ExList/ShouldWt.html

Glad you are cutting down the distance, TRUST ME- you dont want permenent nerve damage in your shoulder. IT SUCKS.

Tri'n hard.
�.__o
._`\<,_
(_)/ (_)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been a chiropractor for a quarter century. You'd be surprised how many people tell me "I woke up with it".
Quote Reply
Re: Can you pinch a nerve in your shoulder while sleeping? [pjnow00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I broke an ankle while sleeping ( was fine before I went to bed, woke up with a sore ankle, took one step fell over in pain, off to the ER ).

You are kidding, right???

I had this friend way back in Jr High/High School. He was a big time hypochondriac and his mother took him to the doctor for everything. Kid got a sniffle, off to the doc. Pimple shows up, off to the dermatologist. Coughs once and he's on an inhaler.

One day he does not show up for school in 7th or 8th grade. Next day he's back but on crutches. Ask him what happened, he says he was sleeping and his foot got stuck in between his foot board and mattress and when he rolled out of bed he sprained or broke his ankle. That was 20 years ago and we still give him shit for being the only person we know that could break an ankle sleeping. I guess now we will have to lay off him about that as he's apparently not alone.

In Reply To:
In Reply To:

You are kidding, right???

I had this friend way back in Jr High/High School. He was a big time hypochondriac and his mother took him to the doctor for everything. Kid got a sniffle, off to the doc. Pimple shows up, off to the dermatologist. Coughs once and he's on an inhaler.

One day he does not show up for school in 7th or 8th grade. Next day he's back but on crutches. Ask him what happened, he says he was sleeping and his foot got stuck in between his foot board and mattress and when he rolled out of bed he sprained or broke his ankle. That was 20 years ago and we still give him shit for being the only person we know that could break an ankle sleeping. I guess now we will have to lay off him about that as he's apparently not alone.

I kid you not. I was in Jr high at the time ( definitely not a hypochondriac though, all of my multiple visits to the ER as a teenager involved broken bones or stitches,-> football, hockey, general roughhousing ).

My dad said that he woke when he heard someone yell out in the middle of the night, did the patrol of the bedrooms, everyone was asleep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it'd be pretty tough to actually pinch a nerve while sleeping, but during swim season it wasn't uncommon that I'd pinch a nerve on a crappy start and not really feel it until the next morning. Have you been practicing dive starts, swimming extreme fly sets, or doing a lot of one-arm drills? All that stuff(along with just too much volume) can mess a shoulder up in a hurry if done with poor form.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who is sleeping with you? ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The guitar/singer from megadeth pinched a radial nerve or something like that. It caused him to stop playing for some time. I think they called it Saturday night palsey or something to that effect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YMMV but when I had similiar symptoms i had actually pinched a nerve in my neck, symptoms got worse before it got better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
A few times in the last couple of weeks I've woken up with pretty severe pain in my left shoulder. Each time I'm on my back with my upper body rotated just a bit to the left, so I really don't have any weight on my right side but there's some additional weight on my shoulder. I shift around (even laying directly on my left side) and all is good.

I've never had this happen before, and it doesn't seem to be an injury. That's the only time I notice anything out of the ordinary with the shoulder and I'm swimming 2x a week instead of 3-4x and < 1/2 my typical volume. Thoughts?
I've had that as well (long time swimmer) and I got one of those "elevated" shaped neck relief type pillows. Best investment I've ever made.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you sleep, you unconciously roll into positions you would normally not stay in for too long as oppossed to if you were awake, thus pain upon waking. Also, during the day, and even during working out, you are moving your shoulder, stimulating the release of synovial fluid, and the daytime has distractions. Upon waking, your mind is not distracted by anything and we tend to focus on every pain in our bodies. Last, but most important, during the day, while upright most of the time, gravity induces a slight traction on the shoulder joint, decompressing it if you will. When supine, the effect of gravity is negated and the head of the humerous tends to drift proximally into the glenoid fossa decreasing the joint space and causing shoulder pain, especially in athletes who have had overuse symptoms or some type of injury history with the shoulder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My shoulders often bother me if I sleep on my sides. Sort of hit or miss, its not consistent, right side is worse, but I do favor that side when I swim. Some days they are fine, other day not so much, crashing at Timberman did not really change them except in the short term.

-- Aaron Davidson
Quote Reply