Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Wicked sore iliac crest from running. :-(
Quote | Reply
Has anyone had achiness around the iliac crest from running, and if so how did you get rid of it?

It is my left hip - the bone itself isn't sore (this would be an unlikely place for a fx anyway, I'm sure it's not that) but rather what attaches to it - TFL, the left IT band always tends to be tight for me, and the other attachements to that bone are a bunch of core muscles.

I've run for the past 14 days; it has flared up the past 3. Ache is post-run; it does not bother me during.

If my plan of attack is (1) cut run volume and intensity and (2) strengthen core muscles, glutes (which control IT band action somewhat), (3) foam roll ... does this sound reasonable? I need a sounding board :P

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Wicked sore iliac crest from running. :-( [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup - sounds reasonable, especially the take a day off part (no reason to run for 14 days straight at the intensity I'll guess you are doing) ;)

At your age, a day off and less volume would work wonders.

Also, if you always road run towards traffic, the crown/cant of the road can sometimes lead to the types of biomechanical nuances.

Re: Wicked sore iliac crest from running. :-( [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a treadmill bunny, I can assure you that the crown of the road isn't causing it. (I did run 12 on trails this AM but they are our carriage trails).

Thank you for the confirmation of "good plan," that helps.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interestingly, I had the same issue a few days back, bothered the crap out of me. I stretched my hip flexors and psoas and all better. Give it a try.

For the record, my illiac crest pain was about a quarter of the way across my back (halfway from spine to outside).\

GOOD LUCK

http://theworldthroumyeyes.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been tight all around my hips for about 2.5 months, particularly just below the iliac crest and more so on my left. It's better now, but I still massage out my legs and hips every night as a preventative.

I think I had a few things going on that caused it.
Forgot them I had lowered my road bike seat 1.5cm last fall to mimic my CX position during cross season.
Put on new cranks that widened out Q.
Shoulders have been bothering me swimming, so I started doing a lot more kicking.

Slowly brought the seat height back up, then adjusted cleats to bring my feet in. Foam roller every night at every angle possible and lots of stretching. If you want to be entertained, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PVX6hATjfk but the pose itself helps.

---------------------------------------------------

Brawndo's got what plants crave. Brawndo's got electrolytes. And that's what plants crave. They crave electrolytes. Which is what Brawndo has. And that's why plants crave Brawndo. Not water, like from the toilet.
Quote Reply
Re: Wicked sore iliac crest from running. :-( [Hamner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love your quote - happened to watch that movie one night (Idiocracy) and I was giggling like a schoolgirl ;)

Re: Wicked sore iliac crest from running. :-( [ShoMyOFace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mine's the other way, from the anterior spine running down to the tuberosity.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this last year. It lasted about 5 months and ruined my season.I tried stretching, physical therapy, etc.

Finally, I changed my running stride. I had gone from a heel striker to a fore/midfoot runner a few years ago. My SO pointed out to me that I'd been having various injuries ever since. So, I moved my center of gravity slightly back toward my heels. I'm not heel striking, but I'm also not way forward like I was. The problem went away in less than a week.
Quote Reply
Re: Wicked sore iliac crest from running. :-( [roadie gal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
huh, good thought. Glad it went away for you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this sounds like a hip pointer - the muscle separating from the bone. Be careful, because it is a common place for women to get avulsion fractures (I had that as a teenager from running when I was severely underweight).

go get checked. seriously.

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I noticed the same thing for the first time recently. In my case I think it is due to my water belt being too tight around my hips when I'm running. This is only my latest theory at what could be causing it though.

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Re: Wicked sore iliac crest from running. :-( [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm drinking a post run Brawndo right now and it is mutilating my thirst. It's mutilating my thirst because it has electrolytes. And that's what I crave. I crave electrolytes which is what Brawndo has. And that is why Brawndo mutilates my thirst. And that's why I crave Brawndo, not Gatorade Endurance, like from the Circle C.

Really it tastes like a liquid sweet tart, which for some reason is really good right now.

I hate to throw this around, but that movie is an Instant Classic and how it has slipped past so many people is hard to believe. Welcome to Costco, I love you.

---------------------------------------------------

Brawndo's got what plants crave. Brawndo's got electrolytes. And that's what plants crave. They crave electrolytes. Which is what Brawndo has. And that's why plants crave Brawndo. Not water, like from the toilet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pain along the illiac crest from running is probably from aggravation of the gluteus medius and minimus which attach there. Or, more superficially is the tensor fascia latae. Tightening of these structures is a very common cause of pain for runners. While having these parts treated I would be sure to include other posterior hip structures (priformis, gamelli, internal and exsternal hip rotators) as they all tend to work together and compensate when one goes awry. This should be quick to clear up with proper treatment. Hope you feel better soon.

Dr. Kevin Purcell DC
Certified Active Release Technique (ART) www.coachkp.com

Quote Reply
Re: Wicked sore iliac crest from running. :-( [Kevin P.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I have been doing 'hip hikes' to strengthen glutes (stand on a stair on one foot with the other dangling, rotate the hip of the dangling leg up and down by contracting the opposite glute)

Is that helping or hurting, do you think?

Quote Reply
Re: Wicked sore iliac crest from running. :-( [jO4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AAAAAAAA! make the picture go away! I don't want to see pictures like that!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those are good as prevention (especially if those muscles are not firing and your knee drifts across midline when running) and may help acute symptoms. I suggest getting treatment asap in an effort to clear that stuff right up (quickly) unless you have an unusually traumatic injury (tear or avulsion fx).

The other thing to consider in TFL or ITB symptoms at the hip is the entire biomechanical chain. By that I mean:

When running:

1) foot pronates
2) tibia externally rotates and you get internal rotational torsion
3) femur adducts and pelvis rocks

IT Band controls the adduction and rocking.

So, I would pursue treatment (I suggest ART) for acute symptoms above and below site
Check your feet, shoes for wear and any supports as prevention and rehab
Exercises for prevention and rehab posterior hip

KP
Quote Reply
Re: Wicked sore iliac crest from running. :-( [Kevin P.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had this issue while training for the Oliver Half Iron. I saw an excellent physio who recommended ice and heat 3x daily, advil, in addition to weekly treatments of the glutes, QL's, and psoas. I finished the race without pain. She did say the glutes weren't firing properly, I was recruiting the quads and hip flexors instead. One legged squats in front of a mirror to ensure the pelvis remains level throughout, along with side-lying leg lifts, really making sure glutes and not hip flexors are contracting. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tigerchick,
Work on the TVA - and do a few specific exercises - 10 secs on, 5 secs off - 3x cycles - about 5-6x per day. In order to activate the glutes also activate the lats - stand with your back to a wall, with your hands by your sides. Internally rotate your hands and then push back against the wall. I had the sore illiac this past week, did these exercises and within a day I was almost at 100%. No gaurantees, but give it a shot.

Mike Ricci
2017 USAT World Team Coach
USAT National Coach of the Year
Coaching Triathletes since 1992.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tiger -
I was having all sorts of weird hip issues from running culminating in my ITBS issue.

When I started to address the ITBS as a hip related issue, it started to clear up as did all of those other odd pains. For me the big 3 were piriformis, adductors and abductors. An hour 3x a week of strength training and quality time with a tennis ball and the piriformis stretch have seemed to help the most.
I highly recommend one-leg bridges in sets of 10x5s per leg. If you look up that thread of mine (IT-BS), there were a lot of good exercises posted that would probably help too. I think I may have even posted my specific routine too

sometimes you just have to eat the cake
Quote Reply
Re: Wicked sore iliac crest from running. :-( [VO2Matt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt, thanks. I agree that my hips need some strength work! I'll find your thread.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. Iliopsoas issue in my case, PT had me strengthen glute med. Question: what kind of incline do you have the TM set on?
Last edited by: WitchyWoman: Sep 12, 09 7:50
Quote Reply
Re: Wicked sore iliac crest from running. :-( [WitchyWoman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
0-1%

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok never mind. In my case I was running a lot of hills and had a hunch that perhaps there was a connection. maybe not. Good luck with your recovery.
Quote Reply
Re: Wicked sore iliac crest from running. :-( [Mike Ricci] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Tigerchick,
Work on the TVA - and do a few specific exercises - 10 secs on, 5 secs off - 3x cycles - about 5-6x per day. In order to activate the glutes also activate the lats - stand with your back to a wall, with your hands by your sides. Internally rotate your hands and then push back against the wall. I had the sore illiac this past week, did these exercises and within a day I was almost at 100%. No gaurantees, but give it a shot.

Mike-
I'm digging up this old thread from a search because I've begun getting pain just below my iliac crest (tensor fascia latae maybe). Could you explain those exercises you mention above? I understand the back-to-the-wall one, but is that it? 3x 10 secs on/ 5 secs off of pushing back against a wall?
Quote Reply
Re: Wicked sore iliac crest from running. :-( [dongustav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, old post.

I do:

hip extensions --- on all fours, knees and hands shoulder width apart, kick one leg up in the air (slowly), squeeze your butt.

hip "hikes" - google and you can probably find this one, stand on a stair with 1 leg, other leg hangs over, rotate pelvis of "hanging" leg up and down

Plain ol' leg raises laying on your side. To increase challenge: stand on a bosu ball and do them. Can also do them on your side with your knee bent and your foot rotated outward.

"Monster walks" - put a resistance band, tied, around your ankles. Step diagonally back - so you're walking backward - knees are bent (squatting). Those start to burn after a bit.

Last edited by: tigerchik: Apr 22, 10 9:26
Quote Reply

Prev Next