Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
$120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly
Quote | Reply
With bike aero parts that would take a pair of sweet heds or zipps, a sweet helmet, and a sweet frame.

something to consider =)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$2400 an hour damn this sport aint cheap.

with my 12:03 IM at Looeyville i could get a kona spot for approx $5grand. but thats how much a charity spot costs anyways, right?
Quote Reply
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [ramasan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
$2400 an hour damn this sport aint cheap.

with my 12:03 IM at Looeyville i could get a kona spot for approx $5grand. but thats how much a charity spot costs anyways, right?

no its much worse than that
see the next $120 in swimming lessons will probably buy me 1 minute

the next $120 will buy me 10 seconds

the next $120 won't do anything at all!

Quote Reply
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [ramasan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
actually the charity/e-bay spots are well over 30,000.

Richard Nixon, Fit2Tri Multisport Inc.
Fit2Tri,
rich@fit2tri.com
Discount code, slowtwithch
Quote Reply
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [Irondicknixon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
actually the charity/e-bay spots are well over 30,000.

thats a lot of swimming lessons and carbon frames right there

Quote Reply
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lessons...? plural? lucky you, in NYC you would get 1 session for it.
Quote Reply
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [kus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
lessons...? plural? lucky you, in NYC you would get 1 session for it.

every swim coach in NYC has the same price? damn

jamdavswim here on ST coached me in Austin.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep, the prices range from $100 to $140. but then, rents here are higher as well :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
With bike aero parts that would take a pair of sweet heds or zipps, a sweet helmet, and a sweet frame.

something to consider =)

There was no way the course was short, right, so it was definitely a 3 minute improvement.
When is the last time you did a 1000K time trial in the pool? Did you take 2 minutes off your time?

I agree in practice with your idea, that swim lessons are cheap compared to other things that may save time in a race. However, are you a 22:00 minutes swimmer going to 19:00 (in which cases lessons may be needed as you probably already captured all the long hanging fruit) or are you a 28:00 minute swimmer trying to get to 25:00 (in which case a $15 swim technique DVD may be an even smaller investment which can yield very good results). Not saying the coach is not worth the money, but if you are really short on cash...
Quote Reply
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri yoda, I went from being like 25th in my age group to fourth in the swim

of course I don't know the exact time improvement, thats what "~" is for, it means "About". Its a guess comparing actual and relative times.

and yeah I've gone from 1:30 per 100m to 1:12 per 100m in the pool during the same time so, its been a big help!

but yeah, good point, if you are nailing 20 minute swims already, a coach won't help you as much as it did me!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats JM! Now, are you going to give us some details or do we have to beg? :) If you don't tell us about this metamorphosis, we shall always feel that we missed something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and yeah I've gone from 1:30 per 100m to 1:12 per 100m in the pool during the same time

Seriously? Wow, a few lessons and all of a sudden you're faster than 99% of the triathlon world...

(nice selective wording there mate...LOL)

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [The Herminator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well if you are in austin pm JAMDAVSWIM

I wasn't smart enough to learn to swim by internet, so I doubt I can communicate it.

I will say that from reading about swimming I knew I was supposed to rotate.

first thing coach said was "ok, so you aren't rotating at all"

oops

In Reply To:
Congrats JM! Now, are you going to give us some details or do we have to beg? :) If you don't tell us about this metamorphosis, we shall always feel that we missed something.

Quote Reply
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [show pony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
being 6'3", skinny, and fit I ought to be allright at swimming if I can swim partly non retarded right?

=)

In Reply To:
and yeah I've gone from 1:30 per 100m to 1:12 per 100m in the pool during the same time

Seriously? Wow, a few lessons and all of a sudden you're faster than 99% of the triathlon world...

(nice selective wording there mate...LOL)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what was your swim time?

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [show pony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
24:30, no wetsuit

not a fish yet

but a lot better than 25:30 with a wetsuit =)

In Reply To:
So what was your swim time?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool.

Is your 1:12 per 100 y or m, short or long? Describe the set?

- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i need 3 minutes...

i'm down to about 28:0x (from 32:xx last year!). Another 3-5 and we'd be feeling good

--
MyGearGarage - Track all your gear!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
100m
25m pool
I'm still too much a noob to flip turn, touch, turn around, kick off the wall and go

In Reply To:
Very cool.

Is your 1:12 per 100 y or m, short or long? Describe the set?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's encouraging. My wife got me a four pack of lessons to Swim Labs. Passing a lot of people on the bike is fun but I wouldn't mind having to pass less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm assuming this is an all out time, rather than an interval set...otherwise your times don't compute. What's your T30 pace? Or any TT time/pace?

Regardless, that's solid improvement jm...FWIW I've done a lot of work in the pool this winter and would struggle right now to hit 1:12 all out off the blocks (LCM).

Maybe I need lessons...

- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1:12 is all out yeah.

no idea what my T30 or 400m pace is.

To be honest since the lessons work has been rough and I haven't spent much time in the pool. Thats why I am so encouraged. I've been at like 1k to 3k per week since the lessons. Much of it just 25m at a time working on stroke.

if anything my swim-fitness is worse.

I look forward to getting in a solid 5k per week (still weak sauce I know fish, shut up) and see what happens.

In Reply To:
I'm assuming this is an all out time, rather than an interval set...otherwise your times don't compute. What's your T30 pace? Or any TT time/pace?

Regardless, that's solid improvement jm...FWIW I've done a lot of work in the pool this winter and would struggle right now to hit 1:12 all out off the blocks (LCM).

Maybe I need lessons...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you swim 1:12/100 but can only do 25:30 in an Oly swim? That makes no sense at all

If you are repping 100's that fast you would be more like 17-18 min in an Oly
Quote Reply
Re: $120 in swimming lessons bought me ~3 minutes of time in an oly [xcsnail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
24:30

I don't know enough about swimming to say if your 1:12 to 17-18 minute conversion makes any sense. I certainly could have pushed harder in the oly, but not THAT much harder.

I do tend to have way more talent at any short distance stuff than long. I can crush my girlfriend at 5k, but she crushes me at 13 miles =)

In Reply To:
So you swim 1:12/100 but can only do 25:30 in an Oly swim? That makes no sense at all

If you are repping 100's that fast you would be more like 17-18 min in an Oly

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you were holding 1:12/100's in the pool then you would be elite/Pro level for tri

I call bullshit on you!!

Are you sure you wern't in the kiddy pool?
Quote Reply

Prev Next