Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What is the best home made recovery drink ?
Quote | Reply
I am training MAF ( Maffetone = 180 less age adjusted for fitness is target heart rate ) and am looking for a recovery drink which is high in protein ( please no raw egg ) and lowish in carbs which I can make at home using standard foods.

I would appreciate all answers and points of view.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: What is the best home made recovery drink ? [Liarspoker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chocolate milk.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the best home made recovery drink ? [Puppet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cold Becks and an egg-white omlette.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't the point of the recovery drink to replenish glycogen(Carbs)? Why skimp out on them?

I go for Carnation Instant Breakfast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Low fat chocolate milk. Tasty and inexpensive.

18x Ironman, 3x Hawaii
US Army (Ret.), Vietnam Vet ('71-'72)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

couldn't help it.. ;)

Seriously though, +1 on the chocolate milk.

~Rob
==============
"The truth hurts."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there is no need to take protein if you aren't taking carbs. Carbs first, protein second if you want to recover.

why do you think cell tech works so well for body builders? Look at all those carbs

http://www.proflexsports.com/...P/PROD/MTECH/MTECH49

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Last edited by: msuguy512: Aug 14, 09 10:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+2 low or no fat Choc milk, plus some vitamin rich fruit
Protein, carbs, calcium, antioxidants, and vitamins
Quote Reply
Re: What is the best home made recovery drink ? [Puppet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Chocolate milk.

+1 Great mix of protein and carbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What you want is a 3:1 ratio of carbs to protein.

I find it's just easier to use something like Hammer Nutrition Recoverite. It has everything you need, and can be mixed up and drank right after your workout. Then you can take your time getting a 'real' meal together.

Yes, I am sponsored by Hammer Nutrition, so mention that customer # 30079 referred you and receive 15% off your first order.

Quote Reply
Re: What is the best home made recovery drink ? [msuguy512] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am training MAF ( Maffetone = 180 less age adjusted for fitness is target heart rate ) and am looking for a recovery drink which is high in protein ( please no raw egg ) and lowish in carbs which I can make at home using standard foods.

I would appreciate all answers and points of view.

Thanks

Yep! chocolate milk can do the trick....but that's got carbs. BTW, carbs are the primary concern in your recovery drink...however if you are hoping to drop some bodyfat and are keeping carbs low, then I suggest that you use what I use. Whey Protein Concentrate in skim milk. The milk adds a small amount of carbs but not too much.
Last edited by: jyeager: Aug 14, 09 10:20
Quote Reply
Re: What is the best home made recovery drink ? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really don't think carbs are the be-all and end-all.

Your body doesn't "need" carbs to survive. You can take in fat and protein and surely but slowly, through gluconeogenesis, you will be able to resynthesize muscular glycogen stores.

If he's training Maffetone method, once per day, and for durations less than 90 minutes, he does not need much carbohydrate. I got lots of success by avoiding too much carb post workout. I usually go with 15-20 grams of carbs and 40 grams of protein during that method.

Of course, your individual mileage may vary. If you're training twice a day and with intensity, you will need to up the carb intake, but for the Maffetone method, I don't think you need much, especially if you are limiting yourself to once a day, 90mins maximum training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A good beer or chocolate milk

beer actually has a good carb balance but not much in the way of protein.

chocolate milk mixed with some protein is a nice balanced recovery along with some fruit (banana, strawberry, etc.)
Quote Reply
Re: What is the best home made recovery drink ? [Sully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't the point of the recovery drink to replenish glycogen(Carbs)? Why skimp out on them?

I go for Carnation Instant Breakfast

Bingo!

Carnation Instant Breakfast(in milk) or Chocolate Milk was always a favorite of mine and I have seen some studies that would back that up.

Carbs
are key

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chocolate Milk works great for me. That and a banana will get me till my breakfast....usually instant low sugar oatmeal. I have tried taking a huge protein shake and even eating a big breakfast but no matter what I east I'm always hungry between 9:30 and 10am.....So I figured why take in all those calories from a manufactured shake/big breakfast when I can get the same results from chocolate milk and a banana and spread my calorie intake over the day instead of blowing it at breakfast just to be hungry again a few hours later. I was able to drop a few pounds and still have the same energy levels.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the best home made recovery drink ? [triarcher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Night time recovery/meal replacement: Low fat choc milk, banana, 1 tbl spoon natural PB, 1 scoop protein, ice. Blend. Drink.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the best home made recovery drink ? [art_k82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually your body does need carbs. If you had a zero carb diet, your body would be hurting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
while working with a sports nutritionist, she wanted me on a little higher protein so had me switch from chocolate milk to a smoothie with whey protein and fruit. Easy to adjust to whatever ration you need.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the best home made recovery drink ? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but one problem: adult humans are not in any way adapted to drink milk. and many studies point to the fact that cow's milk from organic cows or from factory-farmed, hormone and antibiotic-laden cows is not at all healthy for people.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: What is the best home made recovery drink ? [indytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ketosis!
Quote Reply
Re: What is the best home made recovery drink ? [GregX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
but one problem: adult humans are not in any way adapted to drink milk. and many studies point to the fact that cow's milk from organic cows or from factory-farmed, hormone and antibiotic-laden cows is not at all healthy for people.
See this thread and then go enjoy a cold glass of chocolate milk:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...string=junk;#2454982

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: What is the best home made recovery drink ? [GregX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yeah, there is some research that says that, some that goes against it. I think a lot of that has to do with what your ethnic background is, there is major genetics difference in how people deal with cow or any animal milk for that matter.

For those who have an issue with milk, soy milk has tested pretty much the same in the studies that have looked at chocolate milk.

Personal I like Horizons chocolate milk with some glutemine added to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Muscle milk is good they were handing out @ Nautica NYC for free I got like 20 bottles from the girl there. That being said I would not pay 3.00 a botttle for it though. I would just drink Chocalate milk.

Quote | Reply
soy milk
banana
chocolate protein powder
peanut butter
agave nectar
Quote Reply

Prev Next