Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"Male Enhancement": My Before and After Photos
Quote | Reply
The picture above was me before. I was ashamed to ride with others. I could feel them looking out of the corner of there eye and laughing to themselves.

Now below; I'm proud again. Life is looking up. Yeah, it's a prosthetic,...so what, at least I didn't waste my money on pills, potions or pumps! It's now 9.25" with an increased surface area of just over 22%. I've been bjorn again.

Quote Reply
Re: "Male Enhancement": My Before and After Photos [Joe Wiley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you'll complete the male program by getting a double chainring, not a triple :-)
Quote Reply
Re: "Male Enhancement": My Before and After Photos [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brutal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry mate ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll see your 58 and raise you 2. Got mine on the bike yesterday and it rocks. Still waiting on the 44 inner ring though, hopefully it will arrive tomorrow. Can't wait for Sunday to get here.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope my new set (arriving today, BTW) has the black aero ring. My other set is the light-colored ring. Never thought it looked bad, but, the black is better! It will even match my bike better. Funny post!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: "Male Enhancement": My Before and After Photos [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike, best of luck in the Desert. Wish I was there, but Kona kicked my butt. I'm already on the Team for Italy. Hope to see you there. BTW, I roll a punky little 55; you guys are nuts!

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet looking, but I won't be going down Mt. Everest any time soon, so I'll pass.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'll see your 58 and raise you 2. Got mine on the bike yesterday and it rocks. Still waiting on the 44 inner ring though, hopefully it will arrive tomorrow. Can't wait for Sunday to get here.

Mike, after I had bought my new set, the 58-44-30, Gary T tells me you had just bought the 60. I'm thinking "son of a bitch, I should have got the 63." I wonder why you are waiting on the 44 and I didn't have to. Which front derailleur are you using to drop from a 60 down to a 44? I hadn't seen any that mentioned they could handle a 16 tooth difference.

So far there are only 6 guys registered in my age group, and 7 qualify for world long course, so it's possible if I'm the only one in my age group who registers on race day that I'll have a good excuse to check out Italy next May. Bizarre, it's my first ever duathlon, or multi-sport event, and there is a decent chance I'll be invited to the age group world championships.
Quote Reply
Re: "Male Enhancement": My Before and After Photos [Joe Wiley/Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Neither of you guys realize that size doesn't matter. it's about using what you have with skill. My little 53 will be there skillfully crushing (hopefully) all the other 30-34 AGers.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
still waiting on the 44 because there was a shipping mix up, they sent a 42 by mistake. I'm using a regular Dura Ace front and hoping it works. Right now it shifts fine between the 42/60. The problem is chain length. I have it set up length wise for the 60 and it drags when on the 42. Hopefully the two extra teeth will be just enough to take up the little bit of chain slack that is there now.

Now about the size, it's not that I am going to be cruising around in a 60x12 all the time. I actually prefer riding the 60x15 which at 80rpm is going to go 24.8mph, or the 60x16 which at 80rpm is going to go 23.2mph. These gear choices give me a nice straight chain line and the option of having good gears available to maintain a normal cadence going down most small hills.

Something else I noticed is that with the larger chainring I am able to put out a slightly higher power output. What that higher output costs remains to be seen as it isn't free.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, thank goodness I'm taking a few weeks off from the T/Th morning rides and won't have to chase Mike for awhile!

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joe, I hope several more guys sign up in your AG, and you STILL beat enough of them to be invited to the Bigger Dance!

Like Mike says, it's the straighter chainline that some people are seeking, not necessarily the 60X11 or 12 top gear. I find a 54 is about right for me...and I actually can use a 54x11 if at least slightly downhill, or a tailwind. 60 would be too big for my power output.

Good luck in the races, gentlemen!

Quote Reply
Re: "Male Enhancement": My Before and After Photos [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Joe, I hope several more guys sign up in your AG, and you STILL beat enough of them to be invited to the Bigger Dance!

Like Mike says, it's the straighter chainline that some people are seeking, not necessarily the 60X11 or 12 top gear. I find a 54 is about right for me...and I actually can use a 54x11 if at least slightly downhill, or a tailwind. 60 would be too big for my power output.

Good luck in the races, gentlemen!
I mainly got the 58 because of the vast amount of descents I do in regular training, but it would be nice to have a straighter chain line, especially as to avoid the slight noise of being in the largest gear which makes it hard to escape the burden of "time". And yes, hopefully I actually beat somebody in my age group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok guys and Gals tell me this, are you running 650 wheels? because i'm running a 53. and if i'm in my 53/11 or 12 i'm going close to 30 mph. and i just can't see how your pushing a 56 or 60 ring? you must be just monster gear mashers!!!!! what happened to "you have to spin to win"?

bikedude...
Quote Reply
Re: "Male Enhancement": My Before and After Photos [bikedude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bikedude, "spin to win" is for the girly-men.

Arnold would like that quote, wouldn't he?

I'm overstating the case here, but, here goes: if you have big muscles, it may be appropriate for you to push a bigger gear. Just look at your heart-rate when you drop your rpms. Your HR drops, doesn't it? Sure, your leg fatigue increases, but, if pushing a bigger gear at lower rpms is how your body works better due to genetics/practice or both, then lower rpms are good. It also depends upon the race situation. I'd spin at 110 if I were road racing. I'm not. At least, not anymore. In time trials, I found I do better in the lower-mid 80's. Actually, this summer, it appears that I do better in the upper 80's to about 90. Not sure why, could be lots of things.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BikeDude,

take a look at a gear calculator and you'd be surprised. I would assume given that you say you are riding 30mph in a 52x12 that you spin about 90rpm. So taking that number this is what you get for an 11-21 cassette (actualy I'm taking out the 19 and 21 due to cross over of the chain)

53x11 @ 90rpm= 33.5mph

53x12= 30.7mph

53x13= 28.4mph

53x14= 26.4mph

53x15= 24.6mph

53x16= 23.1mph

53x17= 21.7mph

Now compare this to a 60 with the same cassette, except that I spin 80rpms:

60x11= 33.8mph

60x12= 30.9mph

60x13= 28.6mph

60x14= 26.5mph

60x15= 24.8mph

60x16= 23.2mph

60x17= 21.8mph

not a whole lot of difference there! Also, I don't use an 11, most of my cassettes are 12x21 or 12x23 so I drop a gear off the top end and add one on the back.

There is also a lot to what Titan said in his above remarks about muscle size. Think of it this way, when you push against a wall, will you develop more force pushing against a concrete wall or a paper wall? Probably a bad analogy and the scientists of Slowtwitch will shoot if full of holes, but thats all I could think of. I do stand behind the gear calculations though.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year Mike was on a 650 bike, not sure now though. I agree, I would like to know. I ride a 50 on my tri bike and do a ride with a guy that pushes a 54/11 on the descents. Guess I am stronger this year as he cannot drop me on the descents now. Oh, and he is trying too!

Are you still on a 650 bike Mike?

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Re: "Male Enhancement": My Before and After Photos [Styk33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, still riding the Merlin Aerial with 650's.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bikedude,

I'm running a 700cc, but I live in the mountains, so the roads I'm coming up in the 30 inner ring at 8mph I'm going down at 40mph with the 58. I'm fairly coordinated, and by that I mean to say I can spin a pretty high rpm and stay in control. I'm fairly comfortable spinning 120rpm for extended bouts, however, I don't feel comfortable spinning high rpms at high speeds. 150rpm at 50mph is pretty freaky, so bringing that down by 10% is nice. Although I can wind out at a pretty high frequency, I find I can't actually apply power efficiently, so the lower rpms feel more powerful. If I'm on flat ground the 44 middle ring is plenty for my motor, which can probably only average about 23mph over an hour, maybe less (we'll see on Sunday). I can hit 30mph with the 44 x 11 or 12 and not be totally wound out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please tell me that's for 650's, or I'm gonna be sick.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: "Male Enhancement": My Before and After Photos [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, 650's

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joe,

Definately "stylin" now.

I just got the 55 AERO on my TT bike (700c), with the 12/23, should be a good combo (not a fan of 11T, and I like the 23 as a bailout gear for some of the hilly 10m TT's around here).

Last year I spun out the 54/12 at 100 RPM for 20k with a 15 MPH tailwind at states, on flat ground.

Next year the course is a bit different, but if I can average 330-340w for the distance, I think I can manage the 55 just fine. I have some big work to do before I can sustain that power for a 40k TT. We will see how it goes!

PS - Your bike is looking good!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd argue that 80rpms isn't exactly spinning ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: "Male Enhancement": My Before and After Photos [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joe Peterson, Calif state TT champion and multi-time RAAM winner, rides a 63T aero chainring on his set of Rotors, on a 700c Litespeed Blade. He is tall, and is a powerhouse - pushes a low RPM, so it is possible to push big gears if you are trained.
Quote Reply

Prev Next