Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Another softride question. Where to store nutrition
Quote | Reply
Hi all, another question for the 'softies'. where do you put your gels etc for a long distance race/ride. I don't think you could get a bento box to fit (could you) so I would be down to taping gels to the beam.

Just wondered what you do.

J.
Quote Reply
This was Softrides website [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Thanks, but [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking more about during a race. On a conventional bike you can put a bento box that's easy to get at on the top tube, I wondered if people do anything similar on the beam bikes. I guess you could tape gel packs to the beam, but what about things like a container of salt tabs or similar.

Thanks,

J.
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks, but [Freeflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would either use the pockets in my race outfit or find a container like a TIC TAC or Listerine tabs to keep tablets dry and then tape
Quote Reply
Re: Another softride question. Where to store nutrition [Freeflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In kona I stuffed about 15 Gu's in a bento box attached on the beam and the handlebars. I put another 10 Gu's in an empty water bottle attached to the frame. I carried water on the handlebars and behind my seat I had a water bottle and a bottle with the top cut off so I could stuff a spare tubular and multitool kit in. I don't use the beam bag. When I do my long training rides I use a Camel back backpack to place extra Gu, tools, cell phones, and I attach a reflective vest to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Another softride question. Where to store nutrition [rickjames] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rick, thanks very much for that. I didn't realise that a bento would fit on the beam. Good to know.

Thanks,

justin.
Quote Reply
Re: Another softride question. Where to store nutrition [Freeflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride a Softride Power V and I just use the rear pockets of a jersey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back pocket of a cycling jersey for training rides or the back pocket of a tri-jersey for a race. That's why they put the pocket there.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hi all, another question for the 'softies'. where do you put your gels etc for a long distance race/ride. I don't think you could get a bento box to fit (could you) so I would be down to taping gels to the beam.

Just wondered what you do.

J.
What kind of Softride are you riding? I have a TT7 and I use a bento box. I just have one of the bottom straps connected in the hole of the beam and the two around the stem. It works fine for me. The other strap is just not connected at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Another softride question. Where to store nutrition [ImTribble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not riding one yet, looking to upgrade to one next year, probably a RocketTT with 650 wheels. Just asking questions as I think about it. I usually use pockets in my shirt, but as I'm aiming for ironman distance, I figured I could use a bit more storage space. Looks like it won't be a problem.

Thanks,

Justin.
Last edited by: Freeflyer: Oct 27, 04 7:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velcro Gu flask on the beam...pockets for bars, Bottle Launcher for fluids

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good thinking. I didn't realize it until after I got the bike. But I did figure out a solution. Oh and I use a gu flask holder too

http://www.performancebike.com/...rofile.cfm?SKU=10532

which is another idea. I have mine mounted on the stem. I guess I could have done it on the beam as another option.

I'll be doing IMAZ so if I find out some different ideas, I'll let you know.
Quote Reply
Re: Another softride question. Where to store nutrition [ImTribble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A small partial tear into the gu packet, then tape w/ electrical tape on the beam. When yu grab the packet and rip it off the tape stays along w/ the entire top of the gel packet which is now open.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Rocket TT. When I am in a 1/2 IM or IM I tape the GUs to the beam. I find it very convenient & have never had any problem w/doing this. I don't like the extra weight (even though it is small) of the Bento Box. While riding, sometimes at high speeds, if they are taped you can just rip them off the beam instead of having to play around w/pulling them out of the box.

Bottom line...do whatever works for you! Practice in training.

B
Quote Reply
Re: Another softride question. Where to store nutrition [tribri33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once you rip the packages off, where do you put the packages then? And if people say they put them in their shirts or whatever...think again. Just look down on the road at your next race.

I can't understand why more people don't use Gel holders. I can fit about 4 gel holders(x4 shots) in my shirt if I need to. They are way faster and a lot less messy.

M~
Quote Reply
Re: Another softride question. Where to store nutrition [TnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just tuck the packets in my back pocket or stick them in my shorts either in the back or against my thigh. Remove in T2 and toss afterwards in the trash.

It irritates me also when I see the wrappers on the ground.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got to make sure that the top is closed, though. I had almost an entire flask leak out during a swim. Not a good thing to discovery when you hit mile 10 of the bike during a half. And a real mutha to clean up after baking in the hot FL sun.
Last edited by: ktw70115: Oct 27, 04 19:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Once you rip the packages off, where do you put the packages then? And if people say they put them in their shirts or whatever...think again. Just look down on the road at your next race.
[/reply]

Some people are slobs and criminals too...I put the empty PowerBar wrappers and Gu packs in my far right pocket. I carry Gu in the left, PowerBars in the middle, and a plastic baggie with various pills and things in the center also. I have a gel flask but haven't bothered to use it.

Mad
Quote Reply
Re: Another softride question. Where to store nutrition [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Again, pockets. I agree!

I am not sure why this is, but generally speaking, triathletes seem to be adverse to carrying stuff in jersey pockets when training or racing. The seem to want to have stuff mounted on the bike. This has sprung up a cottage industry making all kinds of little gizmos to mount stuff somewhere and everywhere on the bike.

I get a bit of a laugh when I am standing at the exit from T1 in an Ironman race. Some of the bikes are so burdaned down and festooned with all this extra stuff, that it's hard to tell it's even a bike anymore They look like they are going off on an extended week long bike tour. The reality is there is a fully stocked aid station just 10 miles down the road!

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to use Gu and water only during my races. Gatorade and bars/solid food on my long bike rides or runs cause my blood sugar to spike and crash. At Kona I calculated that I would need about 25 GU's to make it through the bike ride (I could have used 4 more). I could not stuff 25 GU's in the back of my jersey or tape that many to my top tube. During a half-iorn race, I tried putting about a dozen GU's in a jersey with rear pockets and the jersey was too heavy and some of the GU fell out during transition which cost me time. I use a Zoot Jersey with the side pockets which will fit about 4 gels each plus a tic tac box for my salt tablets. During shorter races and training sessions I would simply put the GU in my jersey pockets. I don't like flasks because I don't think you can get enough of the GU out. My softride is a roadwing with the old style beam.
Quote Reply
Re: Another softride question. Where to store nutrition [rickjames] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the replies. Certianly some things to think about, I'll try them out and see what works best.

Cheers,

justin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI,

I often see Softride customers pics of there bikes,(Beam Team pics) If you have a Softride and you have not signed up for the Beam Team then do so @ Softride.com and send us your pic and score some free swag. Well if you guys would like to its allright to cut off your excess amount of beam behind the seat and looks and works much better.If you have any questions contact Lars @ softride 800-557-6387

Only .005% of the population will ever do a triathlon, let alone an IM...its a blast

Good Luck to the Gang from Chattanooga in there quest of Ironman Florida!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Another softride question. Where to store nutrition [chig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SR used to say cutting the beam would void the warranty, but I just checked with them and it's ok to do.
Make sure you leave planty of beam+1cm incase you change the set up.
Mark it using the seta clamp.
Cut with a hacksaw using very light pressure (use a mask).
File it smooth.
Replace the cap.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Another softride question. Where to store nutrition [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
***IMPORTANT!!!***

This is in reference only to the Rocket beam.

You cannot cut a classic beam in any way.

Doing so will viod all warranty.

Lars
Quote Reply
Re: Another softride question. Where to store nutrition [larssoftride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had not asked about that. I have a TT7

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next