Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

trainer setup
Quote | Reply
OK I know I'm not the only once, since there was a thread about this in the main forum recently, but it was people saying it happens, and no one helped, so I'm turning to you gals :)

When I ride on my trainer (the few times I have) I can't get the tension right! It either feels like it is skipping/too easy, or it smells like burnt rubber and there is sometimes a black streak left on the trainer wheel from my tire :( This really bothers me since tires are expensive and I don't want to ruin them all so fast.

I ride with a PowerTap, and on a Cyclops Fluid 2 trainer. So the option of having a trainer wheel (like those orange ones) is tough since I do half my rides outside and am not a big fan of changing out the tire each time I ride. I just have some on the trainer for certain power goals, so I do need power while there.

Any one have any tips for me? Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: trainer setup [kylie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One tip: GET ROLLERS! Seriously.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: trainer setup [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I have heard rollers are not as good for power intervals, especially since there is a learning curve for it.

Or do you suggest rollers with a fork mount? I have heard of that, but honestly, living in Southern CA I have usually just ridden outside.

---
Miles of Life --- Powered by MarkyV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are power intervals? If it involves standing, then no. Rollers wouldn't be good for anything standing. But I don't like standing on the trainer either. I find it much easier to ride a bigger gear on the rollers than spinning really high cadence. Which is why I'm doing. High cadence roller sessions. Yeah, a fork mount might be helpful.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not standing, but high effort.

Hmm discouraging high cadence probably isn't something I need right now...

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a fork mount on rollers generally does away with one of THE Biggest benefits of riding rollers to being with - improved bike handling skills and keeping all energy flowing into the pedals and not anywhere else on the bike.

I'm guessing high effort means mashing or spinning high cadence - which might pay great dividends riding on rollers. Being more stable on the bike is never a bad thing, you know. And triathletes are WIDELY renown for piss-poor bike handling skills. But I digress.....

I don't have a good suggestion other than you don't have to tighten the tension massively on the trainer - that's why our bikes have gears. I only tighten mine until I can feel the tension as I'm tightening (i.e. the tire starts to push back a tiny bit). But I'm not using any gadgets either while on the trainer - just the cadence on my computer and a stopwatch. (But that's also all I use on the rollers with a much better workout, for what it's worth.)

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know I read this all the time ("get rollers") from a lot of folks, but can you help describe a bit the difference you have seen using rollers vs. a trainer? I assume you have to recruit your core muscles a lot more, to develop stability/balance and smooth spinning - I'm down with that. But do they have some resistance built in? I mean I'm not going to spin up and then cruise easily am I? very curious - how does it feel differently?

Thx, AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You kind of have to play around with the adjustment, but you are always going to have a little bit of the burnt rubber smell and wear on your tire, it is just the fact of using a trainer. Trainers will always wear out your tires a lot faster than on the road, thus the reason to get trainer tires. I also have the Cycleops Fluid 2 trainer which is awesome and I love it (well, as much as you can love a trainer), but it did take me awhile to get the adjustment down. Just keep playing around with the tension or if you have someone else around when you are on the trainer, stay on the bike and have someone else play with the tension, probably the fastest route for getting it down. Once you figure it out once, you'll be set. I know you want your powertap, but if you can ride without it for the trainer, I would suggest getting a cheaper wheel and throw a trainer tire on it and just switch out the back wheel for trainer rides, a heck of a lot easier than switching tires. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: trainer setup [tri2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tips!

I will have to try the double person adjustment again.

You said that once I get it down I'll be set... is that because I'll know where it is, or because I won't have to change it again? I didn't think there was a way to leave the tension setting the same when the bike was taken on/off, but I might just not know how!

The *only* reason I'm on the trainer is to get a prescribed power workout in, so using a different wheel just isn't an option.

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once you get the tension setup, if you have the same trainer as I do, all you have to do is lower the yellow handle to release it, then next time you throw it back on (assuming same bike and no one has fiddled with it in between) you should just be able to throw the bike on and raise the yellow handle. Make sense or do you have a different version?
Quote Reply
Re: trainer setup [tri2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I might have a different version... it has a handle thing for holding the skewer, but if I remember correctly it only has the screw mechanism for raising and lowering the wheel part of the trainer. Then again, I use it about once every other year, so I will take a look when I get home :)

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the one I have http://www.rei.com/...amp;mr:referralID=NA . You twist the yellow handle when it is down to adjust the tension on the wheel thing (or whatever it is called that your tire sits on) and then you flip it up to bring it closer to the bike and lock it all in. Really bad description, but in essence I don't need to adjust it every time I get on, just flip the handle to take the bike off and flip it up when I put it on. Sorry, I'm bad at descriptions, but I hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're concerned about high effort sessions on rollers, these rollers may be worth a look.

I've been reading good things about them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can learn to ride out of the saddle on rollers as well as no hands. I hate riding on the trainer.

Quote Reply