Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Riddle me this... sore, stiff feet upon first waking up
Quote | Reply
just curious if
1. anyone else gets this
2. what causes it

Whenever I first wake up and step on the floor, or the same thing after laying down reading/watching TV/taking a nap, my feet are all sore and stiff. It goes away with movement, doesn't affect my training, it's merely a minor irritation and I wonder why.

Not plantar fascia - I don't have pain there; it is more all-over. I replaced my running shoes 2 weeks ago, and I always wear sneakers walking around other places.

Do I have, like, arthritis or something?! I am getting old, I turned 22 a month ago ;-) or is it just spending a lot of time 'on' feet - running, cycling, pushing off the wall in the pool, general day to day walking around...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Riddle me this... sore, stiff feet upon first waking up [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you have an "-itis" of some sort.

it is caused by overuse, poor stretching, etc. Try icing after every run.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Riddle me this... sore, stiff feet upon first waking up [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sounds like poor circulation. if you only seem to get it after having been laying down, blood isnt reaching your feet.
just a guess
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tight calves.

I've had the same thing. When I decrease or forget stretching it comes back. Try stretching your calves right before going to bed. That works for me. Good luck.

Twitter @achtervolger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It may not be "PF" yet but this is how mine started. My foot would be feel tight, sore just a "dead" feeling. Stretch, stretch and yes stretch, especially in the morning and ice after running etc. I also recommend using the TP massage system works great on calves and feet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when doing a run focus for the marathon I had exactly what you are describing, was scared I was going to get some sort of injury but never did.

that said, when I took a bunch of time off from running it did go away. probably a good idea to take a month off from running once a year for many of us

In Reply To:
just curious if
1. anyone else gets this
2. what causes it

Whenever I first wake up and step on the floor, or the same thing after laying down reading/watching TV/taking a nap, my feet are all sore and stiff. It goes away with movement, doesn't affect my training, it's merely a minor irritation and I wonder why.

Not plantar fascia - I don't have pain there; it is more all-over. I replaced my running shoes 2 weeks ago, and I always wear sneakers walking around other places.

Do I have, like, arthritis or something?! I am getting old, I turned 22 a month ago ;-) or is it just spending a lot of time 'on' feet - running, cycling, pushing off the wall in the pool, general day to day walking around...

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TC, yes, as others have said, you could be on a path toward PF. Stretch the daylights out of your feet and calves. I roll the bottom of my feet from arch to heel every night for about 20 minutes using a rolling pin and a frozen water bottle. I also use that rolling pin on my calves.
I started getting that morning stiffness in the ankles/feet a few months back and eventually my left heel started being painful after long runs. I realized I was getting plantar fasciitis after reading many posts here on ST about it. It truly sucks, and I am in a constant battle with it in my left foot. I have to do the treatment regime I mentioned above or I will be in agony when running the next day. With an IM coming in 6 weeks, I'm anticipating not being able to walk the next day.
Even with the stretching mentioned, my feet/ankles are still stiff when I wake up, but get much better after walking around for a little bit. I now wear sandals around the house. I have no idea why this flared up. I couldn't pinpoint anything that I changed, so it was a mystery, but it's no fun!
Nip that in the bud!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yer gettin' old!

Funny little aches and pains are a sure sign.

It's all downhill from here...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
22, eh? Hop you hve the care home picked out and pension in order ;-)

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First sign of Swine Flu.

RIP Tigerchik ;(

Seriously though, if you are nudging towards PF, take care of it NOW! When i got PF I suffered through almost two years of severe morning pain, followed by nagging pain all day long.

Just wait til you are in your early 40's and everything hurts the morning after training.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott and donut gestapo nailed it. Tight caves, often associated with higher mileage running. I am recovery from two marathons in two months, and for the first time the achilles at the heelare very tight. Lots fo triggerpoint calf streching has been helping in the last week, and some down time on the running.

Strech, strech, strech those calves.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old age and a subconscious fear of racing Mr. Bubble on Mt. Lemmon.
Quote Reply
Re: Riddle me this... sore, stiff feet upon first waking up [Mr. Bubble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode 4:10 today, Bubbles, I am not scared of you.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: Riddle me this... sore, stiff feet upon first waking up [SniperTeamOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To everyone who has said PF - I have NO arch pain. It's not the underneaths of my feet that are stiff, it's more like my whole feet - wiggling toes, like all the little bones and joints and tendons inside are stiff, sore.

Tight calves, or poor circulation, sounds more reasonable.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually "poor circulation" is pretty unreasonable in a 22 year old.

I would listen to your elders though as this IS often how plantar fasciitis can start :(

Of course, morning stiffness can be hallmark of other entities (such as Rheumatoid arthritis, seronegative arthropathies, etc.) as well.

Re: Riddle me this... sore, stiff feet upon first waking up [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
even if it's not arch stiffness?

I wonder if shoes that don't have enough support are part of it - I've run in racing flats a fair amt lately. ?

Thanks for chiming in.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TC, I don't have any arch stiffness. Just pain in the heel and general morning stiffness of the ankles when I take the first steps of the day.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Riddle me this... sore, stiff feet upon first waking up [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As rroof said, this is pretty well the first sign of plantar fasciatis even though you might not want to admit it at the moment. You do massive amounts of training and your feet and lower legs are probably not strong enough to support all the work yet. Its like you are building a skyscraper on top of a foundation for a 5 story building. As others said, stretch stretch stretch, but also strengthening for the entire lower leg.

You might also want to back off on some of the crazy amounts of volume. You're only 22....how many years of running and cycling base do you have compared to some of the folks on here with 10-25 years of base?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would make sure bike shoe cleats are back far enough.
Quote Reply
Re: Riddle me this... sore, stiff feet upon first waking up [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
'base' - running since middle school (10 yrs), cycling 4 yrs (though admittedly not a lot in those 4 yrs). 22 years swimming :D

It's not "not wanting to admit" it's PF, that possibility is just surprising to me.

Last edited by: tigerchik: May 10, 09 11:34
Quote Reply
Re: Riddle me this... sore, stiff feet upon first waking up [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok - I have had a little bit of heel pain at the point where the PF probably attaches to the calcaneus or whatever bone that is.

You guys may be on to something. Glad I started the thread. I am icing my feet right now and will work on it.

Merci bow coo.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok lets say it isn't PF, but as mentioned use a wooden foot roller with the deep groves cut into it, also use a golf ball to roll your foot on, after runs ice down your feet, see a good massage therapist that specializes in sports and is also certified in ART, they will help break down the tension in the tissue in both the feet and the calves/peronials, they can assess joint movement for restriction and other problems. Occasionaly i have had patients that come in becuse of biomechnic issues with ther cycling shoes, to tight and they jam the joints restricting natural movement and circlution.
Do a test, only ride for 4 or 5 days and see if the problem continues, take a day or 2 off then run only for 4 or 5 days, this will show if the problem relates to sport. Another q i have is do you do any impact sports even like aqua fit in the sha;llow end of the pool, this is a killer for some people, you never know it could also be a stress fracture in the metatarsals, or sesamoiditis an inflamation of the small little bones in certain areas of your feet. oh also look at the milage of your shoes, replace generaly every 500 miles but this verys, i know i need alot more forefoot cushion so i wear kiyanos.
if this dosent work the next step is to see a podiatrist, they are doctors for feet, they may do a gate assessment to look at the biomechnics of your feet to see if ther is excesive pronation etc.

Hope thes ideas help
Brian Bennett RMT, ART, CKTP
Balanced living
Quote Reply