Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Please convince me I am going to enjoy graduation weekend [idropoboys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually had a full academic scholarship. They did support me through it .

We compromised. I have to go to graduation but we're skipping the luncheon.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Please convince me I am going to enjoy graduation weekend [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
We compromised. I have to go to graduation but we're skipping the luncheon.

I just wanted to add that all this talk of "luncheon" is making me hungry. :p

Hope you get your appetite back soon...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Please convince me I am going to enjoy graduation weekend [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you worked it out. I had a full college scholarship but without my parents support in flying me home, giving me a place to live over the summer, buying me clothes etc it would have been much tougher. Make the best of it!

Quote Reply
Re: Please convince me I am going to enjoy graduation weekend [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
survived.

Guess what I have now? A bachelor's in exercise science :-)

kind of Hogwartsian, with the gowns (like robes)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on your graduation Alyie. I'm glad you made it through the day. Was it fun?

What are you plans now?
Quote Reply
Re: Please convince me I am going to enjoy graduation weekend [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Was it fun?

There were a couple fun moments (for the most part it was long, boring, and HOT).

One of them was marching into the hockey arena (the biggest area on campus so that's where graduation was held - ice taken out, of course). I've never actually been in there, so coming out like you were skating onto the ice like a hockey player was kinda fun.

Other sort of fun stuff: we brought in a couple beach balls and were playing 'volleyball' with them while they awarded everyone's diplomas, and the civil engineering grads all had U Maine hard hats on instead of caps. Those were pretty sweet.

Plans now - grad school next year for a masters in teaching secondary education in mathematics. But right NOW, training as much as I can in the month off I have before I start my summer job (asst director of a summer camp) and substitute teaching when I can.

Last edited by: tigerchik: May 10, 09 13:54
Quote Reply
Re: Please convince me I am going to enjoy graduation weekend [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks to all of you for the support... getting to 'talk' helped me get through the weekend.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TC,I really try to feel for you as I believe you have some real issues going on in that young head of yours but you should have shown the Honours Dean the same respect that he showed you.Clearly you two don't get on, but he rose above that to recognise your achievments and respect the traditions of the school.He showed maturity and class,you didn't and your actions have done you a disservice.

Time to grow up young lady.

Feel free to throw a tantrum my way.My little sister used to do it all the time. ;-)

Last edited by: Ultra-tri-guy: May 10, 09 3:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As an athlete you know very well that one needs to focus on the areas that you might be weak in. The same goes for things you encounter in life. You will often encounter social situations that your comfort zone tells you not to deal with. You obviously have difficulties with large social events. So, how do you turn this around so that it becomes a positive event for you, and that you can prove to yourself that you can handle anything, especially things that may not appeal to you or put you out of your comfort zone. If you avoid things that may cause anxiety, you will never get over them.

Cervelo R3 and Cannondale Synapse, Argon18 Electron Track Bike
Quote Reply
Re: Please convince me I am going to enjoy graduation weekend [cervelo-van] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry TC, but I'm with the last 2 posters on this one. That was disrespectful of you. You don't like him- he probably doesn't like you either. That's fine- you are both entitled to your opinions, and we don't have to like everyone in life. We do however have to be able to co exist with them, and behaving in an adult and respectful manner- even while disagreeing- is the beginning of that.

I'm glad it made you happy to avoid shaking his hand- but was it really worth it? What did you gain?

Congrats again on graduation, and enjoy your time off.
Quote Reply
Re: Please convince me I am going to enjoy graduation weekend [triFP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are both right... it was disrespectful of me. (You're also right that he doesn't like me either).

I'll apologize - will probably have to be an email though since I'm not on campus and not going back until fall.

sigh. I learned a BUNCH this weekend.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
an email apology is pretty weak. it should be your last resort. can you make an effort to go by campus? guaranteed you will feel better if you did it in person.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Learning is important. Don't beat yourself up about it - the only way any of us feel entitled to give you any sort of advice is because A)we've either been there before or been in similar situations, B)we want to make it easier on you than it was on us. Don't stress too much about it, if we do everything perfectly the first time it isn't as much to look back on and laugh about.

I agree, if you can speak with him in person it would speak VOLUMES about you as a person to him and others. I have some heavy hitters (locally in my industry) in my corner because early in my career I was able to stand up and take one on the chin by being the bigger person, admitting I was an idiot and thanking someone (that I really despised and that really despised me and had said some very nasty things about me) for their time and efforts on my behalf. Those same folks have been able to step up and help me get jobs when I've needed them and serve as great mentors.

And as someone else said - you've got to face the things that make you nervous and try to gain strength by getting through them. Staying nice and cozy in your comfort zone all the time won't get you very far. You're an over-achiever by nature, take the discomfort and use it to grow and become stronger. You don't get to be a faster runner or swimmer without putting some pain into speed, right? (When I was in college I was panicked to speak in front of people at all - even a class of 10 - 15...my senior year of college I started working someplace where I had to speak in front of many strangers at a time....I now routinely have to speak in front of massive groups of people about things they don't want to hear about - insurance and benefits. By going through it once or twice you get better and it gets easier. Eventually you may come to enjoy the things that now make you nervous and put you in a bad spot.)

Two long stories to say you can get there...just breathe and punch through it.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't wear anything under your gown. Of course same rule as always applies; pics or it didn't happen.

Quote | Reply
I didn't want to wait until fall and I won't be at school until fall... I wrote a real snail-mail note rather than email. He emailed me this morning and said "it's okay. What are your plans for the summer?"

lesson learned... :P

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent, a hand written letter is a very worthy substitute. But don't you feel better now that you've addressed that? ;-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
High school was meh. College was horrible because my entire family was in town. It was a nightmare trying to get them together in a city of 4 million people when they come from a town of 30k. My dad got lost early in the day and then got in a wreck later in the day. My sister was suppose to find stuff to do because she likes doing that stuff but didn't so I had to come up with stuff to do on the spot. It was miserable trying to get people to go anywhere because whenever I thought we were ready to leave, someone had to go outside and smoke a cigarette or someone went to the bathroom or someone is on the phone with someone. Ridiculous! Herding cats is way easier. When I get another degree, no family is allowed at all. I may or may not go to the graduation ceremony itself.

Long story short is that I don't blame you for not wanting to go. If I have any advice at all, keep it as low key as possible.

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Please convince me I am going to enjoy graduation weekend [Dr. Jan Itor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Jan- I'm watching Scrubs right now...

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Re: Please convince me I am going to enjoy graduation weekend [LovePugs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get a giggle out of it every time I think about the first time I saw Dr. Jan Itor and I had to change my username for awhile.

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Please convince me I am going to enjoy graduation weekend [Dr. Jan Itor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could always switch to Dr. Acula for a while....

haha... can't get enough Scrubs!

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its interesting how you always post attention seeking threads...that along with your look-at-me tag line...Not Cool. You didnt want to go to graduation? boohoo. Didnt want to wear a medallion? wtf?
grow the hell up. take your 'issues' elsewhere. Isnt this a TRIATHLON forum????? WHY have the moderators let this go on? this is LR at best. Its not a Womens Issue or Triathlon issue. Lots of posts here got pulled and why should your thread be ok..because you are a woman? this has NOTHING to do with anything....and the reason it got so many page views is we tune in to see how fd up you are lately.
Quote Reply
Re: Please convince me I am going to enjoy graduation weekend [dyl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
easy Tonto...

why so much anger?

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Please convince me I am going to enjoy graduation weekend [dyl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow!!! That's pretty f**ked up, going after her like that. Who the hell are you and why are you so fd up that you felt like this was necessary?

Maybe you need to do some looking in the mirror princess. Are you just jealous because Tchick gets a lot of love on this Board and you can't handle that?

Here's an idea: If you don't like her threads or posts, just don't read them. Nobody is forcing you to click that mouse and it's not like she's squeezing out the threads you want to see.
Last edited by: Sluglas: May 13, 09 11:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! And I was thinking all the nut jobs were busy posting in the LR. (looks like one escaped).

Tigerchik, I think you may be a little odd for having to be talked into enjoying graduation weekend. Most of us would kill to be in your shoes. Keep posting and training. What ever happened to the old roommate?
Quote Reply
Re: Please convince me I am going to enjoy graduation weekend [mccannathon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a little odd for a lot of reasons :P

Old roommate: well, she moved out, and I had a room to myself for a good month or so. I didn't find her name in the graduation program so I am not sure what happened to her, actually. She was very, very hostile to me when she left, and I don't feel emotionally safe around her... so I never had any contact with her after that.

Quote Reply

Prev Next