Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Height & Weight of Triathletes?
Quote | Reply
Just curious about this one, but what is the "typical" height/weight (i.e. think BMI) of a triathlete? What is your height/weight?

I ask because recent information makes me believe I may need to shed a few pounds of muscle to be more competitive over IM distances.

Thanks,

-Jay
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [trimanjay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5'10", last year 178lbs this year 156lbs. Last year 12% body fat by those scales you stand on and have fat measured ( I know no reliabilty). I find that I climb better on bike, run much easier, no difference in swim, I also seem to need to be more careful becouse I get injuried easier. My wife claims i was happier fat : ]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I’m 5’9 and right now I weigh exactly 150 as of this morning. I’m about 10 pounds above what I was during my bike racing days. I’d like to lose about 5-8 pounds between now and IM Wisconsin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 5'10 or so, and I weigh ~151 lbs. I raced IMFLA at ~145 lbs. For the record, I was not competitive.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'0", and currently 165lb. I raced last year at 158 lbs. I think I've added a little muscle mass, but I could still stand to lose a few pounds this year. This compares to 205 lbs when I first got off the couch and started tri's 3 years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

5'10'', this morning I was 153 on the gym scale but I float between 152-154 recently. I just got back into real tri training and eating heathy diet after slacking for a little while. I plan to drop about 5lbs to get to 147-148, which is what I was in the middle of last years race season.
No clue on body fat, my scale at home says 13% but it said the same thing when I was 147 (not that it talks). I would like to get my bf measured for real some time.

A
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I am the fat ass here. 5'11 185. Much better than I was 3 years ago at 235 and getting most of my calories from Hienekin and Captain Morgan.
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [Ross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Ross I got you beat.

5'9" 198

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, it looks like I win the lanky award: 6'3" 160-165 lbs. I'm probably around 6-7% body fat, but it's not all it's cracked up to be, since I really have no ballast whatsoever in the water, i.e. I sink like a rock when my lungs aren't full.
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [Yarf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5' 9" 158-164 depending on training day. I am around 8-9% body fat :) I can not seem to get below 158 lbs, In College I could not seem to get above 155. My bench press in college was 280, my bench press now is probably 185-200. Hmmm maybe I need to start lifting again. I am much faster than I was in college in all three sports.

Seems like there are a lot of guys around 5' 9"/ 5' 10"

PR for 5K is 16:30

PR for 10K is 34:36

PR for 10 Miler is 56:59

PR for Marathon 3:19 (Was on a 3 hour pace, until oh mile 22 or so)

PR for 1/2 Ironman is 4:45

PR for Ironman is (We shall see). Over the long hall I really slow down. My body must have a lot of fast twitch muscle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6' 6" 193 lbs. I'm kicking around 12% bf. Since I'm tall I'd be interested in the group's opinion on height and the advantages and disadvantages that come with it. Does size really matter? :)

peace,

eric

---------------------------------------------
Everything changes, everything is connected; pay attention. -- Buddhism in 7 words
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5'10" 172 lbs - multi time sub 11hr IM finishes. Several times 1st master in sprint races.

david
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [tricam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to add to the five-niners...

5'9" - 157 this morning. 10lbs less than 1 year ago and the lightest I've been in 15 years. I notice the difference. I'd like to see what low 150's is like.

As for tall guys... I can't speak from experience, but look at Peter Reid vs. Cam Brown. 6" difference there? Craig Walton isn't short, nor is Simon Lessing. Also Michellie Jones vs. Sheila Taormina. There is certainly a wide spectrum of height in the elite ranks. Conrad Stoltz...

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Re: whats with all the short people? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't consider myself tall, but (almost) everyone is 5'9" or 5'10" !!
I'm 6'1" 163lbs steady pretty much year round - I'll fluctuate about 2 lbs either way. 8.4% body fat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5'9.5", 148 lbs. That's four lbs lighter than I was a couple of months ago. By the end of the season I'll be down to 145 or less. That's the same weight that I weighed 25 years ago (I'm 52 now). The big difference is that now I have to really work to keep it there. Back then I could eat what ever I wanted and wouldn't get any heavier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just a tad shjorter than 6'1". During the off season, I go up to 168 and try to keep below 170. During peak race season last year, I was about 153-155 give or take. Body fat under 10%. I got sick and alotand got injured alot. The year before that I raced at about 163. Body fat about 18%. I was virtually injury free. This season, I am going to stay above 155 if possible. It get hard once the real long training kicks in. I am convinced that going too low in weight can be detrimental to one physically.

Also, I know a few athletes first hand that have eating disorders. They look like they're gonna be fast on race day. The problem is, they deprive themselfs of proper nitrition and strength training and get smoked because they lack the strength and power to go fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5'8" 168 lbs. I'm not a skinny guy.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5' 9" when my hair is puffy, 138 lbs. My holiday weight was 139, despite a diet of pie, coffee and home-made cookies. If I keep swimming, maybe I'll win a real upper body, crack the psychological 140 lbs threshold, and become a Big Boy?

Dre'
Quote Reply
5'8" 173 pounds [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WAS thinking I should lose some weight before IMUSA, Reading aove confirms it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy Slim Fast! You guys are a bunch of lithe bodies! For the record, I'm 5'-2" and 140.5 lbs as of this morning.

-Jay
Quote Reply
Re: Height & Weight of Triathletes? [Graz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5'11" and 172 lbs and a 28 year old male. I was at 162 at the beginning of my training but I always seem to gain weight. Any one out there gain weight after they start training? I have been in the middle of my MS weight phase but I'm going to skip that a bit and see if I can add a little grace to my running style.

By the way, I have a theory that when your metabolism slows down when you get older to more sane levels and you're not eating every :30, that is when you get more efficient for the long stuff and can handle the higher mileage and soon those IM lengths.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5' 8.5", 150-151, which is about 10 lbs. less than last year when I first started tri-training. I have no idea about my bf %, but I think I could stand to lose another 3-5 lbs.

There was a thread this morning on Gordo's site about weight and running. Here is a link I posted that has several articles related to the issue:

http://www.serpentine.org.uk/advice/coach/

(you have to scroll down the page to get to the list of articles).
Last edited by: Dave in WI: Apr 25, 03 12:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll jump in too.. 5'10.75", morning weight has been concistently at 155 for a couple months. Started training 9 months ago at 165. Was at 185 in college during my "lifting" days, was pretty damn strong too. My body tends towards an ectomorph with some mesomorphic qualities (proportionally bigger chest and thighs).

Also, minimal weight training since started tri-training. Eat a lot, ~3000-3500 calories a day.. BF 6% according to my Tanita.

mike
Last edited by: stretch: Apr 25, 03 11:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6 ft.even, 170 lbs. Raced around 168 or so last year.

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad I'm not the only non-skinny person on the board. 24yr old male, currently 5'11"-ish and between 185-190lbs. Hoping to get down to 180 or so, but no way would I be able to get down to 150 or so and still be healthy. Currently I think my BMI works out to be in the "Overweight" range. I weighed 175 going into college 6 years ago and that was when I feel like I was in my best shape.

Haven't raced a tri yet (first is June 8) - other PRs include : 5k - 23:05, 8k - 42:23, 10k - 1:02, and that's it so far - give me a couple weeks and I'll ad a new 10k and a 1/2 marathon.

Interesting thread - always nice to find out that I am still a "big guy" in some circles.

Peace,

Josh
Last edited by: Josh_MN: Apr 25, 03 14:30
Quote Reply

Prev Next