Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How to compliment a woman at the gym w/out being creepy? [D!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As someone younger (27) around here, I would have NO problem with someone your age hitting on me. It's when the ~50+'s get up in my grill that I have a problem.
<Joey>

How you doin?

</Joey>

:-)

"Here's how you run a marathon. Step 1: You start running. Step 2: There is no step 2." - Barney (How I Met Your Mother)
Quote Reply
Re: How to compliment a woman at the gym w/out being creepy? [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It's when the ~50+'s get up in my grill that I have a problem.

ouch! that hurts! :)

Try again with this. Different results, guaranteed.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: How to compliment a woman at the gym w/out being creepy? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HEY!
Ok, maybe.

Quote | Reply
I heard stories about you at the Womens' training camp. Apparently, there is a park bench in Valyermo with your name (and imprint of your backside) on it.

You are entirely too much!

As to gym etiquette, and as a gym employee, congratulations for her hard work seem appropriate. She made a change for the better; it should be acknowledged.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: How to compliment a woman at the gym w/out being creepy? [biggsmooth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People talk to me all the time when I am out running or at the pool. I get all sorts of comments about my fitness levels, comments about how good I look, my swimming progress, my weight(from women), questions about what I eat (again women). I've even been told by one of the women in my neighborhood that I should be in the Olympics :) I don't recognize her, but apparently she always sees me running.

I don't necessarily think it is bad to talk to her because it sounds like she has motivated you with her work ethic, not by her hotness. So if you make a genuine comment her work ethic and her fitness improvements then I can't see her being offended by that.

An example for me is a guy that swims at the pool where I swim. He has been swimming there since I moved here almost 5 years ago. My swimming has improved dramatically and last year especially and this winter too. He has made comments a few time about how much he has seen me improve and how great a swimmer I am becoming. Things like that are totally acceptable.

Things that I don't find acceptable--people, this has always been women, and often ones I barely know at the Y, asking me what I weigh, what I eat, if I eat. Really? I barely know you?

Guys, staring makes you seem creepy, don't do it. Also, compliments on flexibility, don't go there, it makes you seem perverted, even if your not. Nothing worse than having an old guy at the pool come up to you while your stretching "Wow, you sure are flexible" Or, even worse, the hs aged life guard gave me that one a few weeks ago, right before he asked what school I went to...ummm dude, I'm 29.
Quote Reply
Re: How to compliment a woman at the gym w/out being creepy? [biggsmooth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure seems a lot of folk in here are scared to speak to or be spoken to. Reckon I might as well weigh in.

I agree with those that have said to keep it light and focused on the hard work paying dividends. I've gotten compliments on that from men and women both and I tell ya, it feels good. It doesn't seem creepy to have someone that's seen me running, biking or working out in general lot say "you're really getting strong, and it shows" or words to that effect. I'm ok with people I know, even peripherally, saying "you're looking good" in a general sense or even tell me they noticed a weight loss.

What comes across as creepy is staring, ogling body parts other than the face and following or trying to (I had one dude on a bike try to follow me home. I call him "creepy ass-crack dude" due to the condition of his bike shorts).

So, my vote is that maybe as you're leaving if she's still on the elliptical or whatever, just say something like "you've really gotten a lot stronger this year. Good work!" and go on.

There is no justice, there is only me. -- Death
Quote Reply
Re: How to compliment a woman at the gym w/out being creepy? [Sabrekitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Sure seems a lot of folk in here are scared to speak to or be spoken to...
I know! Its kind of bumming me out. I would think that anybody going to the gym is doing so to improve their outward appearance, and it would seem logical that someone working on their outward appearance would dig a compliment on their outward appearance. I don't know. With guys its easy. "Dude, you are getting ripped" or "Your chest is getting huge my man". Its a different ball game dealing with women.

---------------------------------------------------
"Pops trippin'. He want me to ask for my bike back. You know i wouldn't trip."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't be bummed! I know I love getting those random compliments as long as they seem genuine.

How to go about it: In the fall I was swimming 5 days a week and was feeling comfortable in the water for the first time in a LONG time. A little old guy stopped me on my way out of the gym and said (obviously not a native english speaker) "You swim good. Very pretty. How long you swim? How do I swim like you?" Although that meant he had been staring at me in a swimsuit, I was flattered and gave him the typical tips to find a local masters group or a YMCA. It also gave me a little extra motivation to get to the pool in the early AM for quite a while.

How not to go about it: A PI that had been helping me with my qualifying exam told a friend of mine that he had been going to the gym in the morning because the "scenery in the pool is so nice." I am the only female that swims during the times when he goes to the gym. As he is married and a superior (and apparently has been threatened with a sexual harassment suit in the past), I was pretty creeped out and switched to swimming at noon.

I second what Sabrekitty said about dropping a simple compliment as you are leaving. Done right, it will make her morning/afternoon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"Your chest is getting huge my man"
Do me a favor and say this to a chick sometime. Include the "my man". I just wanna know what happens :D

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I was pretty creeped out and switched to swimming at noon.

that's what I don't understand about women, why would you care so much about what other people think and actually change the time you go to the pool? I couldn't care less if somebody was checking me out or not (and swimming at the Y downtown it has happened plenty of times to get looks in the shower from other guys for example).

Must be the same logic that several gals I know have, who will not run alone in a park regardless, when the odds of something bad happening are much lower than the odds of being run over by a car when crossing the street (probably the same odds as a 'creep' checking you out turning out to be an axe murderer or something).
Last edited by: Marco in BC: Apr 18, 09 16:20
Quote Reply
Re: How to compliment a woman at the gym w/out being creepy? [Marco in BC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Normally I wouldn't have, but there was a little more to that story ...he had been texting me a lot and kept sending me e-mails inviting me out for drinks at the end of the week. Switching my swimming time was convenient, and I felt that if I stopped replying to his texts/e-mails and didn't run into him at the gym I could diffuse the situation pretty quickly. It worked.
Quote Reply
Re: How to compliment a woman at the gym w/out being creepy? [D!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Do me a favor and say this to a chick sometime. Include the "my man". I just wanna know what happens :D
[/quote] I laughed for a long time from that D!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I would think that anybody going to the gym is doing so to improve their outward appearance, and it would seem logical that someone working on their outward appearance would dig a compliment on their outward appearance.

I go to the gym to train to get faster.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How to compliment a woman at the gym w/out being creepy? [Marco in BC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because if a woman gets attacked the consequences are generally much higher than a man. Odds are the guy will be larger and if he is a real scumbag rape is a distinct possibility. Men will likely get beat up. While that sucks, getting beat up then raped is worse.

Honestly, women who want to get hit on at they gym make is pretty darn obvious. If she is wearing make-up, not sweating too much, her hair looks great and her workout clothes are cute and vaguely inapprioprite, feel free to ask her out.

If I am on the tmill sweating like a pig, wearing a ratty shirt and old shorts, likely I'm there for the same reasons as tc, to get faster or lose weight for my health.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: How to compliment a woman at the gym w/out being creepy? [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A non threating way to handle this is to say something like: My wife would love to know how you have gotten in such great shape...
Quote Reply
Re: How to compliment a woman at the gym w/out being creepy? [mccannathon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is how it is done. Pretty much displays what you are talking about. There is a short ad before the video.

http://www.nbc.com/...l-harassment/258532/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say nothing. If she appreciates your compliment, you may have opened the door to more conversation, and then... then... trouble?
If she doesn't appreciate the compliment, she'll give you dirty looks forever.

I was swimming once in the lane next to a woman who I biked with on a Wed.nite ride. She and her husband were nice, and I enjoyed their company. Anyway, she got out of the pool, and guess what? Her suit was so old that I could see the cr**k of her a** through it. I had just recently noticed that the suit that I wore was getting "see-through", so I was in a helpful mood.

So, I went up to her and told her that I could see through the back of her suit and she might want to get a new one.
She said, "Uh... thanks...", and things were a bit wierd after that. I'm sure I creeped her out.

Since then I've seen plenty of women whose tri suits while on their bikes or swimming suits are getting see-through. I don't say a word. I suppose I might tell my sister or wife if theirs wear out, but that's where it will end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
that is hilarious!

---------------------------------------------------
"Pops trippin'. He want me to ask for my bike back. You know i wouldn't trip."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not just start by introducing yourself and make small conversation? You can tell if she is open to talking by her body language and her response.

Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid that it will never begin. Grace Hansen
Quote Reply
Re: How to compliment a woman at the gym w/out being creepy? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
It's when the ~50+'s get up in my grill that I have a problem.

ouch! that hurts! :)

Try again with this. Different results, guaranteed.

Finally someone else that truly understands the mindset of women.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
For the past several months, I've seen this woman at the gym at least 3 days a week. We've ended up beside each other on the treadmill numerous times and I've also seen her doing time on the eliptical, rower, and free weights. I'm definitely not stalking her, I guess she just happens to workout at lunch everyday, so I see here almost everyday.

Anyway, I can really tell a difference in her physique since the beginning of the year, and today, instead of her usual loose tshirt and shorts, she had on this incredibly flattering (smoking hot) gym outfit that made my eyes pop out of my head. I know she's been working hard at it, so I'd like to compliment her, but I'd like to do it in a non-threatening, non-creepy way.

Just for the record, I'm married, she's married, and we've never had a conversation other than "hi" or "thanks" if one of us holds the door for the other one. So I don't want to hit on her, just compliment her b/c like I said, I've seen how hard she's been working, and Lord knows any compliments I've ever gotten have really motivated me to keep working hard. Any suggestions?

Here, I fixed it for you. ;-)

For the past several months, I've seen this woman at the gym at least 3 days a week. I usually try to run next to her on the treadmill. I'm always watching her, but I don't want to look that way. I knows that she works out at lunch everyday, so I make it a point to try and see her almost every day.

Anyway, I can really tell a difference in her physique since the beginning of the year, and today, instead of her usual loose tshirt and shorts, she had on this incredibly flattering (smoking hot) gym outfit that made my eyes pop out of my head. I know she's been working hard at it, so I'd like to compliment her, but I'd like to do it in a non-threatening, non-creepy way.

Just for the record, I'm married, she's married, and we've never had a conversation other than "hi" or "thanks" but my imagination has been torturing me for months about what she must be like in bed. So I don't want her to think I'm hitting on her, just compliment her b/c like I said, I really enjoy fantasizing about her, and Lord knows any compliments I've ever gotten have really motivated me to keep hard. Any suggestions?

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: How to compliment a woman at the gym w/out being creepy? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are all great!! Love it!

"Fall down 7 times....get up 8!!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quite honestly, I wouldn't say anything other than usual friendly conversation. Women feel really exposed working out at the gym, and while some are clearly there for attention, most want to do their own thing, clear their head etc. Any comment about a woman's body can so easily be misinterpreted, that I'd play it safe especially since are both married and thus not "interested" in eachother.

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Re: How to compliment a woman at the gym w/out being creepy? [flyer521] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going with 'silence is golden'

nice quote
"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my *ss for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong

http://www.truckeecyclocross.com
California
Quote Reply

Prev Next