Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How to compliment a woman at the gym w/out being creepy?
Quote | Reply
For the past several months, I've seen this woman at the gym at least 3 days a week. We've ended up beside each other on the treadmill numerous times and I've also seen her doing time on the eliptical, rower, and free weights. I'm definitely not stalking her, I guess she just happens to workout at lunch everyday, so I see here almost everyday.

Anyway, I can really tell a difference in her physique since the beginning of the year, and today, instead of her usual loose tshirt and shorts, she had on this incredibly flattering (smoking hot) gym outfit that made my eyes pop out of my head. I know she's been working hard at it, so I'd like to compliment her, but I'd like to do it in a non-threatening, non-creepy way.

Just for the record, I'm married, she's married, and we've never had a conversation other than "hi" or "thanks" if one of us holds the door for the other one. So I don't want to hit on her, just compliment her b/c like I said, I've seen how hard she's been working, and Lord knows any compliments I've ever gotten have really motivated me to keep working hard. Any suggestions?

---------------------------------------------------
"Pops trippin'. He want me to ask for my bike back. You know i wouldn't trip."
Quote Reply
Re: How to compliment a woman at the gym w/out being creepy? [biggsmooth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have fun with it, keep it light: "holy cow, yer getting skinny/ripped/fit. You bench what now? 350?" "Better watch out, I think that chick over there is eyeing you up..." "Oh man, you're making me look bad now. I better give up the Twinkies and beer." Then follow it up with an honest "No really, your hard work is paying off, you look great."

I know if I had a fellow gym-rat tell me something like that, I'd appreciate it.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How to compliment a woman at the gym w/out being creepy? [biggsmooth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not like this "You look great, you've lost a lot of weight. You used to be sooo fat it was a total joke."

Someone actually said that to me once and I really think he thought he was being nice! I can laugh about it now :)

I'd just keep it very light like 'You're really looking fit.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many years ago I had a guy working out next to me in the gym say "I'm not hitting on you, but you're in awesome shape".

I said thank you and was not creeped out at all. He returned to his workout and that was it.

I agree with making it light and joking, but just say what you want to say and leave it alone.

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first thought when reading your question was "you don't."

I have a supe heightened creepy sensor when I'm at the gym though. I don't really want anyone to talk to me, but that's just me.

The suggestions given were good however! Maybe a "your hard work is paying off, good job" sort of comment would work as well.
Quote Reply
Re: How to compliment a woman at the gym w/out being creepy? [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But beybee - choo lookin' fine!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"What time does your husband leave for work?" or "What time does your husband get home from work?" Whichever suits your schedule.

Quote | Reply
I'm sort of with QRGirl, she might find you creepy no matter what you say, so be prepared for that.

Don't necessarily compliment her on her 'looks', but on how strong she looks, or how fit she looks instead.
Quote Reply
Re: How to compliment a woman at the gym w/out being creepy? [PirateGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't be like that baby...

If I could rearrange the alphabet...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Anyway, I can really tell a difference in her physique since the beginning of the year, and today, instead of her usual loose tshirt and shorts, she had on this incredibly flattering (smoking hot) gym outfit that made my eyes pop out of my head.

I am a firm believer that there are things you 'think' and things you 'say'. If you would compliment this woman with your wife standing right next to you, then by all means go for it. BUT.....if you would not....then I would think twice before you say anything.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Anyway, I can really tell a difference in her physique since the beginning of the year, and today, instead of her usual loose tshirt and shorts, she had on this incredibly flattering (smoking hot) gym outfit that made my eyes pop out of my head.

I am a firm believer that there are things you 'think' and things you 'say'. If you would compliment this woman with your wife standing right next to you, then by all means go for it. BUT.....if you would not....then I would think twice before you say anything.
Please stop with the logical, thoughtful and intelligent comments. You're ruining the interwebs.

(To the OP: Don't. No matter how you say what you want to say, it's going to come out wrong.)

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Re: How to compliment a woman at the gym w/out being creepy? [RunMomRun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/reply]I would say the same thing to her if my wife was standing there or not. Like I said, I'm not trying to hit on her. But judging by some responses, it seems I may run the risk of coming off the wrong way. I probably won't say anything.

...or maybe I should wait until she's in more of a non-threatening environment, like the women's locker room. I'll just pop in, give her some props, and pop out ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By your description of this woman, I'm assuming she's pretty good looking. If she wasn't very good looking at all, but had the same improvements to her physique, would you want to say something to her? Similarly, if she was a guy and went through the same transformation, would you want to say something? If the answer to either of these is No, then I wouldn't say anything. Just keep it friendly, say hi when it's appropriate and continue on your merry way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure the moral of this story is...
Don't talk to girls- under any circumstances- whatever you say, they'll twist it around, and you're a terrible person.

I often think about dropping a compliment like that- completly harmlessly of course, so what if they get the wrong idea, you know what you meant by it, strictly platonic compliment.

Being 24 and single, I have also often thought about hitting on girls at the gym- but thats just flat out creepy- thats pretty awful huh? an athlete trying to pick up another athlete while at a place where athletes hang out to do athletic type things?
Theres got to be an easier way
Quote Reply
Re: How to compliment a woman at the gym w/out being creepy? [brikins13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As someone younger (27) around here, I would have NO problem with someone your age hitting on me. It's when the ~50+'s get up in my grill that I have a problem.

Quote | Reply
That is an excellent plan! I mean, what could possibly go wrong if you popped into the women's locker room, to pay her a compliment?

I would bring a camera too, just so that she knows you are not a creep, you are an artist who appreciates beauty.

Good luck and you might want to start collecting bail money before you go to gym next.
Quote Reply
Re: How to compliment a woman at the gym w/out being creepy? [mccannathon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, i didn't see her today. maybe she read this thread and is already creeped out by me. :-P

...but speaking of going into the locker room of the opposite sex...a few weeks ago i was walking out to the pool from the men's locker room. to get to the pool you walk through the shower area. so as i'm walking out, two female employees walk in pushing a mop and mop bucket. right into the shower area! and there were a bunch of guys walking in and out with at most a towel on. they started saying "lady in the room, lady in the room" and proceeded to mop up a big puddle of water. most of the guys just looked at each other like these women were out of their minds, but there really wasn't any fuss made. i doubt anybody even told the front desk about it. but can you imagine if the opposite had happened in the women's showers? all hell would have broken loose.

Quote Reply
Re: How to compliment a woman at the gym w/out being creepy? [D!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 - I'm completely okay with someone complimenting me on improvement, as long as they aren't my dad's age or older... then it somehow just makes me feel weird that some old guy is studying me that much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you want someone complimenting your wife at her gym? Would you want your wife going into an internet chat room asking strangers how she should compliment a guy she thinks looks good at her gym?

If you answered yes then my next question is, what do you look like? If you're fighting in the same weight class as the woman you're complimenting then I say go for it. If you're not then she'll think it's creepy. You kow why? Because it is creepy! But good looking guys can get away with a lot more as long as they're charming enough. But I'm a guy and haven't understood women since I was 5 or 6, so take this advice for what it's worth.
Quote Reply
Re: How to compliment a woman at the gym w/out being creepy? [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me explain. No there is too much, let me sum up.

How do you compliment a hot woman at the gym without being creepy?

Be young and hot yourself.

(I can see it, but I think that's kinda messed up.)
Quote Reply
Re: How to compliment a woman at the gym w/out being creepy? [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Because it is creepy! But good looking guys can get away with a lot more as long as they're charming enough. But I'm a guy and haven't understood women since I was 5 or 6, so take this advice for what it's worth.

there is not much to understand:

- if you compliment a woman and she finds you attractive = she is flattered
- if you compliment a woman and she does not find you attractive = she finds you creepy
- if somebody is working out they likely are 'in the zone' and the threshold of 'you look attractive' become a lot higher than, say, when said person is relaxed at a bar

given the above unless you are seriously genetically blessed (and if you were you wouldn't be asking this question, because you'd be used to women not finding you creepy, so you'd just say what you have on your mind whenever), the odds of coming across as creepy are pretty high, therefore just don't do it as nothing good can come out of it.
Quote Reply
Re: How to compliment a woman at the gym w/out being creepy? [mccannathon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me explain. No there is too much, let me sum up.

I can't believe that movie is 22 years old.

Quote Reply
Re: How to compliment a woman at the gym w/out being creepy? [Marco in BC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

there is not much to understand:

- if you compliment a woman and she finds you attractive = she is flattered
- if you compliment a woman and she does not find you attractive = she finds you creepy
- if somebody is working out they likely are 'in the zone' and the threshold of 'you look attractive' become a lot higher than, say, when said person is relaxed at a bar

given the above unless you are seriously genetically blessed (and if you were you wouldn't be asking this question, because you'd be used to women not finding you creepy, so you'd just say what you have on your mind whenever), the odds of coming across as creepy are pretty high, therefore just don't do it as nothing good can come out of it.

I'm pretty sure the best solution to this and all other similar answers is... Yes- thats right
Every Health club and Gym needs a Bar. not a juice bar, or a cooler where you can buy your protein shakes... Gyms need booze, as being discussed in the Tri room- its a perfect recovery drink. problems solved. so whos gonna start that up?
Quote Reply
Re: How to compliment a woman at the gym w/out being creepy? [D!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's when the ~50+'s get up in my grill that I have a problem.

ouch! that hurts! :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's simple... if you compliment somebody, hottie or not, for really making an effort,, you'll come across a whole lot less creepy if one of them just turns out to be a hottie.

And, if she likes you, she'll let you know... if not, forget about it.

Jay
Quote Reply

Prev Next