Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

another pull buoy thread
Quote | Reply
I swim with a Masters group, where we do structured, challenging workouts at least 2x/week.. In addition, once a week I do an LSD swim. My coach HATES this. But I like it, and it builds my confidence for long OWS. I do everything my masters coach hates: headphones, HR stays in zone 2, I barely watch the clock, swim the whole thing free.

So here's the pull buoy part -- I use one for a good chunk of my LSD swims. I only have a two-beat kick when I'm swimming, so there isn't much of a speed difference. Actually, I float well on my own, so there isn't much of a form difference. But it definitely spares my legs (handy since I am training for a marathon too) and I feel as though it builds my upper body strength/endurance.

My coach was all pissed last week telling me the buoy was going to get me an overuse injury in my shoulders. Do you agree? I don't see it -- I am swimming that distance either way. My stroke is basically the same with or without.

Your opinion on this, please. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: another pull buoy thread [squesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your coach is right, at least about the pull buoy. Ditch it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The buoy generally isn't going to cause shoulder problems unless you misuse paddles along with.

The problem with it is that it lets you get really sloppy with good posture in the water because you don't have to pay attention to where your hips are, even if you don't think you are.

A correct two beat kick really shouldn't really use that much energy in your legs at all. If you feel like it is, then you've probably got poor kick efficiency and could stand some work on technique in that area.

So I'd actually play around with ditching the buoy and putting on fins instead. Maybe a little harder at first, but they're good for ofrcing you to work on kick efficiency.
Quote Reply
Re: another pull buoy thread [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting suggestion about the fins, but they make me go so fast that it's a little ridiculous. I practically slam into the wall before I can turn. How do you deal with that? Maybe try Zoomers?

The two-beat kick adds up over 6,000+ yards of steady swimming. So the buoy helps. I never use paddles. Well, not never, but hardly ever, and never on these long sets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zoomers are good because they help with the ankle flexibility that's key to having a good kick with minimal leg effort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An overuse injury, no.

This is how I use pulling:
-recovery sets, like 6 x 100 on 1:30 pull. Or maybe a 200 easy pull after a hard set.
-hard pull sets, which might be 600 pull :30 every 4th length fast then 4-6 x 100 FAST pull on 1:30 (so I'm getting 20 sec rest or so)

I would never swim a 6k straight in a pool, or pull 6k straight, because there are far better ways to use that time. But I'm not in charge of your training ;-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
another vote for ditching the pull buoy. they have specific purposes - one of which is NOT swimming 6000m free with one. totally mess up your balance in the water, they will.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My coach HATES this. But I like it...
I do everything my masters coach hates: headphones, HR stays in zone 2, I barely watch the clock, swim the whole thing free.

My coach was all pissed last week...
Do you agree? I don't see it...

Your opinion on this, please. Thanks!

Why do you have a coach?

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you swim exactly the same with or without the pull buoy, why do you need it?

And IF you are going to swim with the group, perhaps you should ditch the headphones and try to do what the group is doing. Otherwise, why don't you just swim by yourself?
Quote Reply
Re: another pull buoy thread [njtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clarification: I swim by myself on the long swims. I would never ever wear headphones at a group practice (or a race, for that matter). Only on my long days, which I swim solo.

I have a coach because he comes with the Masters deal. And I like him. But he is sort of down on triathletes. If I listened to him 100% of the time I would swim 2x per day and give up running and biking. :) I love him, and I hear him out, but there are times we agree to disagree.

I don't do the whole 6k pull. Maybe 1/2 and 1/2. Pull some, swim some, pull some. I don't count during this time. I just know my pace per 100 easy (every now and again I time one to make sure I am still keeping up) and then figure my yards based upon time spent swimming.
Last edited by: squesen: Apr 14, 09 17:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so you swim a straight 6k every week?

If the goal is to build confidence for a long OW swim, why not do one or two of those if you really like them and feel them beneficial - and replace the others with good interval workouts, which will have a far higher return on investment.

I'll go back to quiet now, since this forum is supposed to be gentler than the main forum where I can tear stuff apart ;-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: another pull buoy thread [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TC - you can let me have it. :) Probably you think these are junk yards.

No, I don't swim a straight 6k every week. But right now I am building for the Bay Swim.

I don't dread this workout at all. I look forward to it. The back and forth, the time in my head -- it's like meditation (with blaring punk rock, I guess).

Masters (swimming sets) has improved my swimming tremendously. I have gone from an embarrassing swimmer to a mediocre swimmer over the course of a year, and I have hopes of being a slightly better than average swimmer next year.

This LSD swim is a bastion of my pre-Masters days. I don't want to let it go. I'd rather add another intense set day and keep it, honestly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like it something you enjoy and that is important.

It's not "junk yards" - you're getting an easy aerobic workout. Would you get more benefit from doing something different? Yup. But you'd lose the enjoyment from it (I know that content swimmer feeling and adore it as well).

If you keep it at least lose the pull buoy ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to go 50/50 here....I say swim without the pull buoy - your posture in the water, your training for both parts of the stroke and training to stay in synch and relax all the way around - it won't be a bad thing and you don't have to kick hard, just let your stroke flow.

I second the Zoomers - mini-fins, they will help with the ankle flexibility, they will seem harder at first but they will allow you to "use" your kick with less effort thereby possibly saving your legs through that long swim.

Last, I LOVE very long, "slow" distance swims. If I ever have a bad day or just need some time alone, I can head to the pool and just cruise out the yardage and clear my head and get right with the world. So I say if you like it and it doesn't make you super tired - GO FOR IT. Your swim coach is going to say it's just "junk yardage" - not really aerobic or anaerobic training - you're just there. It's like junk mileage on the bike - we just log saddle time for awhile going through the motions before we add intervals or hill focus or whatever...same concept. And, if it make you feel better about your swimming, your endurance and/or your abilities - do what feels right to you. I don't EVER swim 6k (let alone swimming 6k straight) but like I said, if it works for you....I'm 100% for it.

My favorite is the early-ish morning outdoor swim in a long-course pool...just cruising out about 2-3k by myself. Sun's out, light breeze, air's kinda cool, water feels good (bonus if there's steam on the water) and there's no one but me in my own little world....that's my perfect morning and the planets align correctly.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: another pull buoy thread [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My favorite is the early-ish morning outdoor swim in a long-course pool...just cruising out about 2-3k by myself. Sun's out, light breeze, air's kinda cool, water feels good (bonus if there's steam on the water) and there's no one but me in my own little world....that's my perfect morning and the planets align correctly.
Now THAT's what I'm talkin about! If only I could do this locally...

Quote | Reply
squesen needs a flume!!! those are perfect for long swims... a friend of mine has one, plus we've got one at school, if for some reason I feel like just kinda swimming and not playing wall tag

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Squesen,
I also love doing long continuous swims but my coach doesnt' like me doing them :( probably for the reason Tigerchick mention. As for the buoy, it becomes a crutch when used too much. I think you're at that point
Quote Reply
Re: another pull buoy thread [D!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only get a few of these a year...otherwise there are too many kids in the pool, other teams training, or the water's too cold or hot. So, I settle often for swimming these types of swims and pretending the conditions are ideal in my mind.....

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
An overuse injury, no.

This is how I use pulling:
-recovery sets, like 6 x 100 on 1:30 pull. Or maybe a 200 easy pull after a hard set.
-hard pull sets, which might be 600 pull :30 every 4th length fast then 4-6 x 100 FAST pull on 1:30 (so I'm getting 20 sec rest or so)

I would never swim a 6k straight in a pool, or pull 6k straight, because there are far better ways to use that time. But I'm not in charge of your training ;-)

Tigerchik, are these intervals are Long Course Meters or Short Course Yards?
Quote Reply
Re: another pull buoy thread [mccannathon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's a flume?

Thanks to everyone for the advice and feedback. I will take it all to heart.

For the record, I did a regular set today:
500 WU
300 drill (with fins)
12x100 hard
500 pull
12x100 not-as-hard (extra 5 seconds/100 on the interval)
500 warm down
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A flume is like an Endless Pool - small pool with a current. Run:treadmil :: swim:flume

The disadvantage to the flume is it is far easier to swim because you do not have to generate as much lift force through the pull, as water is being shot backward anyway. But they're fun. I like to swim in the flume when I want to work on something in my stroke because I can stick a mirror in the bottom of it and watch myself swim. Found a whole bunch of errors that way.

The whole college ex phys major works out very well for me in terms of training and access to all this stuff. I hope they still let me in when I am a mathematics-education grad student!

Your workout looks nice.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like your analogy. Here's another one.
pull bouy:long swim :: fins:IMFL

ha ha -- that was the IM I did, btw. :)

I can swim in an Endless Poll here in Pittsburgh for a small fee. We have a really nice tri store (Trizilla) and they have an EP they rent by the .5 hour. The mirror at the bottom drives me nuts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6,000 yards straight! Unless your doing that USMS virtual pool swim why would you do that? The only people I know who do that sort of swimming are my channel and double channel friends.
If you want to get in some long quality yards try 12x500 odds technique, evens threshold or something. If you swim 6K straight, eventually your stroke technique is going to break down...then your just going to re-enforce bad habits. Also, loose the pull-buoy (it's a crutch).

Team Danbury Audi - Triplet Mommy!!!
Quote Reply